PDA

View Full Version : Beginner. Looking for Atkins Information/Feedback

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Whiteice
Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:36
Hello Everyone,

My purpose of this email is to get a better understanding of the Atkins diet to help me determine if this diet is the one I am looking for.

I have been on many a diets in my life, last one being "Herbalife." I did awesome on Herbalife, but got very tired of feeling starved, having hunger headaches, and many o many of dizzy spells. While some may enjoy that, it is not for me.

I am 6'3. About 350 pounds (Was more before Herbalife.) I am wanting to ease my way into a diet and workout routine instead of doing something full force and getting burned out and quitting.

So what I was hoping was some feedback from you all on what a typical day is like on the Atkins diet. What do you consume? How many meals/snacks a day and what do they consist of?

What kind of workout routine do you folks have? Do you have a daily workout, or go for the walks instead?

My father is on the Atkins and doing good, I will get with him to discuss what it consists of, but I would definitley like some of your all feedback.

I want to make this work. I want to better myself. I want to enjoy the foods im eating and actually feel full after eating them. I want to do this for me.

Thank you all for any time/input you are able to supply me with.

Thanks all,
Michael

PS. On this diet, how often do you all have to go grocery shopping, and on average, how much do you spend? (This question is only pertaining to food/drinks when on the Atkins diet. Im not really looking for pricing that includes toilet paper and what not :) )

doroshjt
Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:43
Hey there,

This diet is really easy to do, usually start of the day with 2 eggs and cheese scambled and 4 slices of bacon. Lunch I eat hamburgers or turkey with no bread. Dinner, have anything that i can cook on my bbq. Drinks, I stick to just plain water cause thats what I like. The only food I'm getting sick of is eggs, but that great mock danish recipe out there is good, so I'm eating eggs through that. Look it up.

As for excercise, I try go mtn biking and running but the weather is not cooperating so who knows what I'd be like with better weather. I've only been able to run 4 times since starting, no mtn biking at all :( .

Groceries are a bit expensive, meat ain't cheap for the most part. I go to costco about every 2 to three weeks and spend between 150 and 200 dollars total, meat cheese and eggs taking up about 60 of that.

Good luck.

John

GrlyGrl
Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:47
Your best bet is to go to atkinscenter.com to get some basic information and then buy Dr. Atrkins New Diet Revolution, which you must read in order to understand the WOE.

LCBarbara
Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:50
Hi Michael!

My best suggestion is to buy/borrow the book and read it - completely. Then read some of the permanent sticky note posts on the daily low carb board, and then take some time to read posts in general.

It's not that I don't want to help, it's just that you asked a ton of questions and many of them have already been answered in wonderful detail. BTW, there is a men's support board that may be helpful to you too!

There is no reason to be hungry on this diet. Dr. A allows you eat until full, not stuffed though. There is no calorie counting either!

As for starting the Atkins diet, there really is no easing into it. Once you have studied it, be prepared to commit and jump in with both feet!

Good luck! :wave:

Debi Warne
Wed, Jun-18-03, 13:51
http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/index.html

this is also an overview of low carb plans which you might find helpful

sahara148
Wed, Jun-18-03, 14:02
I spend about $50 a week and some of the staple grocery items I buy every week are as follows:
Feta Cheese
Real Bacon Bits
Romaine Lettuce
Full Fat Ceasar Dressing
Lots of Eggs
Real Bacon
Whipped Cream
Applegate Farms Deli Turkey
Mayonaise, Full fat
Shrimp
Chicken
Steak
Can of Tuna
Cans of Shrimp
String Cheese
Swiss Cheese
Pepperoni Slices

Typical day I eat as follows
BF - 1 hard boiled egg, 2-3 peices of bacon
Lunch - 3 cups of romaine lettuce, cube of feta, bacon bits, hard boiled egg, can of tuna, ceasar dressing
Snack - String Cheese
After work - 2 turkey roll-ups (turkey, swiss cheese, mayo)
Dinner - Steak or chicken with swiss and garlic mayo
Snack - Whipped cream straight from the can (YUMMY), pepporoni slices, turkey roll-up

I am a little bored with the food selection, I try to eat the same amount of protein, fat, carbs each day. But I love eating the foods I always avoided like steak, cheese, real salad dressing and mayo. I love all these foods and I have been deprived of them for so long. I have also grown to LOVE eggs.

I work out 5 times a week for an hour. I either ride my bike for 60 minutes or walk on my treadmill for 30 minutes and do floor exercised for 30 minutes.

Hope this helps!
:daizy:

Saccharine
Wed, Jun-18-03, 14:12
hi-
this diet is great- because it's not really a diet. you feel satisfied after a rough first 3 days. if you're used to prepared foods, it may be a little rough at first, but only because you'll have to make sure you cook a variety of things in order to prevent boredom. i ususally have an egg and sausage/bacon breakfast, a chicken salad (which is very versatile) and green salad lunch, and a variety of things for dinner- cheeseburgers with all the fix-ins ( minus the bun) and salad, or tortilla-free chicken enchilladas. there is plenty to snack on- slim jims, pepperoni, cheeses, hotdogs, pickels, etc. you may be able to ease into a workout routine-

but once you start atkins induction, make SURE you can stick to it for two weeks. my two weeks aren't up yet, and i've lost 9 pounds. considering the possibilities, two weeks isn't a long time. give it a shot! i havent read the book, but i plan to. i've seen parts, and it seems to be good stuff. Good Luck!

atiaran
Wed, Jun-18-03, 14:16
As others said, check out the Atkins website and read the book before starting. Also, take a look at some of the food journals and gym logs that people keep in this forum. NOt only do they provide an idea of what other people are doing, but they are quite inspiring too.

Good luck and welcome if you decide to choose this WOE (way of eating). True low carbers call it that instead of a diet, because it truly should become part of your lifestlye.

motis
Wed, Jun-18-03, 14:57
The best advice I can offer (and I REALLY hope you'll listen) is to not get all excited and run out and buy a whole bunch of Low Carb products. Wholesome, fresh foods is the best way for this diet to work and also, a WHOLE lot cheaper. You don't need to buy anything "special" to start this diet.

Also, reading the book is an absolute must for anyone who's wanting to do Atkins. The website is a great start for anyone thinking about it, though. So, give that a gander and listen to the advice of these good people. They've all made mistakes and you can learn a lot from them. :)

~Angi~

LadyBelle
Wed, Jun-18-03, 15:08
to not get all excited and run out and buy a whole bunch of Low Carb products.

I made this mistake. I've spent a ton on this WOE that I really didn't need to. I expected to have all kinds of cravings, so I stocked up on LC alternatives to have in the house. Most have never been opened.

The Atkins shake mix I hated as a shake, and just use it in cooking. I have used the LC thickener and think that was a good buy for down the road. The LC bread molded. I have had 1 serving of the LC pudding is all. I havn't touched the Keto LC milk as I found a great LC soy milk, the LC potatos also havn't been touched since I found cauliflower :) I may use them for fries down the road though. The bars are sitting in the cupboard and havn't been touched in a week or better. The bake mix and soy flour also havn't been touched, but I do plan on baking at later times with the flour at least.