PDA

View Full Version : I'm new !! 1 question

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Woking
Wed, Jun-18-03, 03:50
So hello everyone

Started at the end of may and have lost 1.5 stone - due to Atkins - and that includes drinking alcohol most saturdays.

However I've just a had a half hour binge - started with a cookie then I ate 3 choc bars - probably had over 100g carbs....
Feel very sick !!
Any idea's what to do ? should I eat what i want for the rest of the day ? how will this affect my weight ?
someone here reckons it takes 3 days to go back into ketosis
Help please !!

StarlightA
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:02
Hi

Forgive yourself your lapse and jump right back on the wagon. That way you can minimise your problem. the more carbs and sugar you eat today the worse you will feel going through induction again.

Yes, it does take about 3 days to get the carbs out of the system

Sue

debmeg
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:03
Hi Woking (as in Surrey? I get it),

Welcome to the boards. You've done really well so far, so don't get discouraged by your first slip.

I would get right back on the bandwagon if I were you. Apparently if you don't eat more than 3,000 calories or so you won't put on more than water weight, so you haven't done something totally awful - but there's no point continuing the problem by eating whatever you want now. Particularly if you ate all that within one hour then it might have affected ketosis, but it won't have affected your insulin levels too badly. I did CAD for 18 months and totally controlled my cravings by keeping carbs to within one hour a day. If you treat this as a CAD day you could say you've just had a bit of a bad reward meal, and you're back on the wagon now.

Even if you're not in ketosis, that doesn't mean you won't continue to lose weight, and stopping the carb binge now means you'll get back into ketosis quicker anyway.

Good luck!

Deborah

Woking
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:12
is that i will be drinking beer on friday night and on saturday drinking and eating loads of carbs as i'm best man at a wedding
Dilema is - do I maybe eat a bit of bread today and tomorrow ( I wont go OTT on carbs) and be good again on Sunday or do I go straight back on strict diet ( despite being on it for a month I have and will continue to try and keep below 20g carbs per day) for a couple of days until the 'big day'
Cheers

debmeg
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:33
first of all, enjoy the wedding!

if you don't want to try and be strict even at the stag night and wedding, then i suggest you try and do a CAD thing for a couple of days. You might want to check out the section of the site that describes different diets, or look at their site, which is at http://www.carbohydrateaddicts.com - so you'll know how it works. Essentially you restrict carbs to one hour - so you could drink for one hour on friday night and try and only eat carbs for one hour at the wedding, restricting yourself to water, protein etc for the rest of the time. That way while you won't be in ketosis, you'll be continuing to restrict your insulin levels and keeping within the low carb lifestyle, which will make it easier for you to go back on it next week strictly, and might even allow you to continue to lose weight.

I lost 50 lbs doing CAD and I ate whatever I wanted once a day - that included weddings and dinner parties (although I hardly ever got a chance to have dessert as it was always served after an hour had passed).

Whatever you decide, good luck!

Deborah

Woking
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:38
many thanks debbs !!!!

will report back next monday !! :o)

debmeg
Wed, Jun-18-03, 04:40
you're welcome, and enjoy! hope it all goes well. you're nearly half way there...

you might want to think about starting a journal, if you haven't already - it's a fun way to keep track of your weight loss and make friends and get anything you need to out of your system.

btw, i'm originally from london.

take care,

deb

Woking
Mon, Jun-23-03, 05:02
Been on the carbs for 3 days now but as from today am back on the wagon - wedding went really well and i ate loads of potatoes , bread etc !! loads of sweets last night

Managed to do it knowing full well i've got the willpower to go back on it as i';ve done today.... Going to be very strict for 3 weeks - under 20 g's a day and NO alcohol during that period !!

It's going to be hard but i'm so motivated by the fact that so many people said on saturday how much weight i'd lost - it gives u a big boost and the desire to keep going!

debmeg
Mon, Jun-23-03, 06:43
Glad you had a good time at the wedding Woking. I find that if you know you've got the willpower to go back on the diet, then a few days off it aren't going to kill you - as long as you manage to get back on the wagon again a little pitstop's ok. So welcome back - and I'm glad you got so many encouraging comments - you're already half way there, so you can definitely get all the way!

Deborah