PDA

View Full Version : Beginning my 6th week

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

layde7
Mon, Jun-16-03, 22:12
I started LCing six weeks ago and wanted to share my experiences so far. Initially the weight seemed to just melt away. I made the mistake of not tracking inches lost, only pounds. In the first two weeks I lost almost 14 pounds. After that I noticed a bit of a stall, but hadn't changed my eating habits. Since I have quite a bit to lose, I decided to stay on induction until I've reached at least 50% of my weight loss. Induction for me has been relatively easy. I enjoy what I eat and have found ways to make my meals more exciting. I did notice that I was retaining a lot of water, due to my increased salt intake. I was snacking on pork rinds, which are loaded with sodium, as well as salted almonds, beef jerky, and sunflower seeds. All though I was eating the above mentioned in moderation, I had to cut out most of it because my legs and ankles were constantly swollen. I began drinking about 140 ounces of water a day hoping this would help flush out my system. My legs and feet are still swollen, although not quite as badly. I think I finally traced it back to the bacon I've been eating religiously for breakfast, so I've decided to cut back to enjoying it twice a week.

At my fourth week of induction I had lost exactly 20 pounds. This may not sound like a lot for some, but I was completely astounded by the inches my waist and chest had shrunk. As I said before, I haven't kept track of measurements, but I've been able to tell by being able to buy pants that are three sizes smaller and shirts that are two sizes smaller than what I normally wear. This, in addition to the way I feel when I'm eating low carb, has convinced me to eat this way for a long time.

Unfortunately last Thursday I had a business trip out of town and found it impossible to eat LC. Every meeting I attended served bagels, muffins, and doughnuts for breakfast, followed by Alfredo or Fajitas for lunch and barbeque for dinner. To top it all off, we had cheesecake for dessert after every meal. I'll be honest, I didn't want to starve for four days, so I ate (in moderation) and didn't worry about the carbs. Immediately after doing so, I noticed that I began to bloat, became constipated (which hasn't been a problem for me eating low carb foods) and was drowsy ALL day, even after a good night's sleep. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to go back to eating in a carb-controlled environment. When I got home Sunday afternoon I slept for almost 17 hours!!! I felt completely drained and miserable.... I had no idea that eating "normally" could do that to a person. Needless to say I began my "happy" eating regimen again today with a nice egg and cheese omelet this morning for breakfast. My only cravings are to lose more weight and feel better. I'm planning on weighing again in two weeks and I'll send another update then.

Iowagirl
Tue, Jun-17-03, 08:27
Nice post. Really illuminates the affects a high carb diet has on the body.

Next time you go out of town make a plan as to what you can eat. I know most conventions and things are regular carb fests and can be a challenge but you can do it!

Thanks for sharing!

hev
Tue, Jun-17-03, 09:34
Hi there,
You sound like a very in control person, well done on getting back on the wagon. 14 pounds is great for 2 weeks, I only lost 9. And I'm on week 5 now and I have only lost 16 total so you are doing brilliantly.
Keep it up, Hev.
:wave:

lynninohio
Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:25
Hi there i have been on atkins now for 5 weeks or so and i am down 14 lbs. any suppestions on how to speed it up (the weight loss that is ) and can i ask you what have you been eating?
thanks
lynn

Iowagirl
Wed, Jun-25-03, 12:29
If I may interject....14 pounds in 5 weeks averages nearly 3 pounds a week - well over the recommended one pound a week loss.

I think you're doing just fine. Fight the urge to 'speed it up' - it just isn't healthy. ;)

lynninohio
Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:55
Iowagirl,
thanks alot for the bit of advice. i appreciate it!!!!!!

layde7
Wed, Jun-25-03, 22:24
I agree with Iowagirl, lynninohio. Losing too fast may increase your chances of putting the pounds back on or have other adverse effects. With any diet I've tried in the past I lost weight quickly but *always* gained it back plus more. That's one aspect I love about LCing-- you can do it for life! I couldn't picture myself keeping up a Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers regimen for the next 50 years. Diet pills only work temporarily and weight loss surgery is a risk I'm not willing to take. By eating low carb foods I never get hungry and enjoy what is going into my mouth.

People at work are finally starting to notice a difference in my physical appearance. I was apprehensive to tell anyone that I was attempting to lose weight at first out of fear of failing. Now everyone knows what I'm doing and I've had lots of questions about low carbing, tons of compliments and encouragement as well. Some have told me that LCing sounds too restrictive (when they ask why I can and can't eat). However, I explain that there are alternatives out on the market like low carb breads and pastas for those who say they can't live without the stuff. :-)

lynninohio-- you asked what I've been eating. Usually for breakfast I'll have scrambled eggs (with half-and-half added) topped with shredded cheese and bacon. Some days I'll replace bacon with sausage. Watch your sausage though--some brands have fillers and added carbs. For lunch I'll have a salad with an egg, real bacon bits or pepperoni, a few olives and almonds topped lightly with shredded cheese. If I don't have a salad for lunch, I'll have it for dinner. I've learned to control the salad dressing-- 2 tablespoons of Ranch dressing has 1 carb. If you miss the croutons, break up a few pork rinds and sprinkle on top! Dinner usually consists of chicken or fish, and occasionally beef. I've taken the advice of others and "breaded" my meats in crushed pork rinds. This is delicious, so if you haven't tried it, you should. If you're a big condiment person like me, Buffalo Wings sauce is relatively low in carbs IF you manage your portions and most hot sauces have none. I haven't had Barbecue sauce or Ketchup in two months and will soon try the low carb versions (would anyone else like to comment on them? Do they taste good?)

The only other advice I can offer you is to make sure and drink lots of water. I'm not encouraging you to try to speed up your weight loss because the healthiest way to do it is to let it come off naturally. However, I've noticed that when I increase my water intake throughout the day, I feel "lighter" at night. I try drinking about 150 ounces of water daily, which is...well, a lot (over 2x more than the daily-recommended amount). I've read several sources that say drinking 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day is more appropriate than the standard 64 ounces. Also, make sure you take a daily supplemental vitamin. I follow it up with 300mg of Potassium, a B Complex, Vitamin E capsule & Vitamin C. I try to stay away from low carb bars because subtracting this and that (fiber, sugar alcohols & glycerine) from the total carb count to get the "effective carb" total just sounds fishy to me. I'll have only one or two a week because they're just so expensive! If anyone disagrees or has any advice for me, please share. Remember, I'm still a newbie and learning. :-)