PDA

View Full Version : leg cramps

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

anacal
Mon, Jun-16-03, 15:45
Hi my name is anacal and I am new to atkins diet and have been on it for about 2 weeks. I have lost 15 :wave: lbs but am now getting terrible leg cramps any ideas on how to deal with this. Thanks

SDgrandma
Mon, Jun-16-03, 17:03
It's a deficiency of nutrients. All the water we drink washes electrolytes out so we have to supplement. The recommended dose is 1000mg Calcium, 500mg magnesium and 3 to 4 99mg potassium tablets a day. Start with 3 potassium. You can go to 4 if you need to. If you use NoSalt which is potassium instead of sodium you may not need so many potassium tabs. It will take a few days for the supplements to make a difference - it did for me. I was already taking the calcium and magnesium (actually more than that because I'm post menapausal) but I had to add the potassium.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

thininBC
Mon, Jun-16-03, 22:24
Calcium and magnesium, along with potassium may be eliminated from the body faster during induction especially (due to the diuretic effects). It is especially important to stay hydrated as well. If you have a doctor or pharmacist that is knowledgeable about Atkins, they may be able to point you in the direction of an appropriate supplement.

anacal
Tue, Jun-17-03, 02:05
Thank you so much for your advice and I have started taking a calcium supplement. Thanks again. Anacal

anacal
Tue, Jun-17-03, 02:10
Thank you SDGrandma, I have started taking a calcium supplement and magnisium. This diet is great and I hate to give it up, so I'll keep trying. Thanks Again, Anacal