PDA

View Full Version : It's not going as well as I thought

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

melly50
Fri, Jun-13-03, 13:47
It's not going as well as I thought. I have 50 lbs to lose, and have been doing the diet religiously for 6 weeks and lost 7 pounds. Not too great.I don't want to give it up even though it's interfering with my social life and business life because frankly, I feel better. After a lifetime of sugar levels jumping all around and crashing after a piece of whitebread, I'm glad I feel better (and the once-in-awhile cream doesn't hurt either. I can soothe my neurotic ways with that.) I have a million reasons why the diet may not be fabulous: I am on Birth control pills, I am pre menopausal, I take a few other drugs through doctors because of injuries I have, and I am chronically constipated (hope that wasn't more than you need to know.) I exercise some every day -- do yoga 2X a week, aerobic walking 3X a week, weights 2X a week..... Hmmm........ It feels like every single day I try to do something, and it isn't paying off (except I feel good and that is not nothing.) I have a high risk for diabetes due to genetics, and as an overweight person, I fear this, which is why I want to lose weight. Plus my doctor said I have to -- plus I was on several other diets this year and same thing. I feel like they should just hook me up to an IV for 6 months and it will work. Or will it?

What's wrong with me? If I'm turning purple most days, doesn't that count? I feel like such a loser, except of weight. It's particularly hard for me; I'm used to trying to get what I want, working hard, and getting it. So this time I do that and nada.

By the way I'd do more exercise BUT I have a bad knee from a car accident and as it is, I've working up to 30 minute increments. Now that it's warm, I'm planning to swim.

Melly 50

RBalhan
Fri, Jun-13-03, 14:02
Hi Melly:

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You are a loser....you've lost 7 pounds and while it doesn't seem much to you it is 7 pounds not on your body anymore. Everyone comes to this WOE with the expectations of losing gobs of weight and then getting back to living a normal life. If you want to lose and keep it off you need to adopt this as YOUR way of life even if it does interfere with your social life and business life. Try not to let it interfere since you already feel better than you ever did.

I see you don't have a journal and/or do not keep track of your food on Fitday.com. Am I correct. If not, you need to do that. Fitday.com is a free site and is great for counting carbs. Lots of times with Newbies they are not counting everything and instead of losing they are just maintaining, which may be your case.

Just a little information, I have been through menopause and am on Prempro, blood pressure, lipitor, etc. I have lost 30 pounds in 5 months. Not earth shattering but a real accomplishment when even Dr. Atkins says hormore replacement therapy will stop you from losing weight (in some people). Just believe you can do it and you will.

As far as eating out, after 5 months people are used to the way I order food...no big deal...and they also notice that I am way thinner than I was and that is a big deal.

So you go girl, stick with it, open a journal, get on Fitday and start losing. Pay attention to what you eat. Sometimes people don't eat enough or too much. Read the book again...I guarantee you that little voice inside you will shut up when it knows you are serious.

Good luck to you.

Rose :rose:

Iowagirl
Fri, Jun-13-03, 14:15
While some may lose at a much faster rate, it is generally a good thing to lose at the rate of a pound a week. Sounds to me like you are right on target!

Keep up the good work, if, as you say, you are feeling good and losing weight - then it would seem that this is the wol for you.

Welcome! :wave:

Ambyrcat
Fri, Jun-13-03, 15:30
Hi there! Have you checked your measurements? If you are doing weights regularly, you may be gaining muscle mass, even while you're losing fat. I started working out regularly about 7 weeks ago. I do areobics 4 days a week, and weights twice a week. For the first 5 weeks I lost a grand total of zero pounds. I was getting frustrated and wondering why I was getting up hours before work to bother getting a work out in... then I took my measurements. I'd lost 9 inches! So I was accomplishing something!

Good luck and hang in there!

Ambyr

Iwilldoit
Fri, Jun-13-03, 16:13
Hey melly50
I just wanted to also chime in with some encouragement.
Don't beat yerself up so, girl! You'll get there! Just don't stop.

You are doing a goodly bit of training, are you sure you are getting enough calories to support it? Sometimes, if your body gets the notion you are not taking in enough to support your present body, AND the energy expenditure of exercise, it thinks you are starving and the scenario with respect to your fat cells will be....
'alright, nobody move!'

I'm serious :D so, check out your intake on Fitday or something, to get an idea if you're taking in enough for your body to relax and allow the fat to depart. Best of luck and low-carb to you, hon!

melly50
Fri, Jun-13-03, 19:09
Thanks everyone for answering me. It's nice feeling like I'm not out here all alone. And you all say the same thing: KEEP ON GOING. Now I have to figure out the logging thing.

They say that you won't ever lose weight if you hate your body. I don't know if I agree with that. I just can't make friends with this flab, yet I've had it (friendily) on my body for a lot of years. I was thin once for 2 years-- that's it. :wave: Melly50

dcbrowne
Fri, Jun-13-03, 19:43
Consider looking at the CAD program, especially if you are concerned about insulin resistant (type II) diabetes. The other plus for you might bewhat we call the Reward meal, that would accomodate your business and social life in a more flexible way. Just a thought.

pcubie
Fri, Jun-13-03, 21:18
hey melly, flab or no flab, you have hundreds of friends right here on this site that will give it their best effort to support you for as long as you seek it so keep on keepin' on! :wave:

melly50
Wed, Aug-27-03, 20:11
Thanks pcubie. Everybody keeps talking about this South Beach Diet. Someone just gave me the book. Then I saw a bad picture of myself. YARGH!

strokerace
Thu, Aug-28-03, 09:36
Hey girl,

There are a lot of people in the same boat so jump in and enjoy the ride. You did not gain the weight over night and it will not fall off that fast. Be proud for every pound you lose, it could be worse you could be gaining 7 lbs.
Be sure to track your food carefully. You much stick to what ever program you do. I eat out and at friends a lot but I have done so much reading and I can all ways find somthing I can have and it fills me up and I am happy.
There are so many foods you can eat while LCing. Like the above posts be sure to use fitday.com for at leat a few weeks religiously so you can see what it is you are eating and how many carbs you are taking in. This is a way of life and it is not to hard.
You have come to a great place for support, recipes and great ideas. We are here for you.
Don't for get be VERY proud of the 7 lbs you have lost, you are going in the right direction.
Take care and keep in touch.
It is very nice LCing with you,