PDA

View Full Version : [SS] what brands do you use for carbos?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

nitrovixen
Thu, Jun-12-03, 19:57
Ok guys,
First a little background. I am a current low carber looking into somersizing.

I've been searching the web looking to see which brands of bread will be ok for me to use. Can I use anything as long as it's "whole wheat?" Because every bread has sugar. (It's what feeds the yeast) and a little fat at least.
I'm interested to know what brands of bread, Pitas, hot and cold cereal you SS'ers have found work for you. And any other useful products too.

A few more questions:
Can I just pick out "wonder bread light" or one of those delicious whole wheat seed breads or Sarah Lee whole wheat? Can I eat flaxomeal, and what about granola? As long as it's sugar free and not made with refined flour?
How strict do I have to be on the no carbs with pro/fat and no pro/fat with carb meals? Because there are carbs in EVERYTHING except meat. Obviously there's a little leeway because you can have cream and cottage cheese with the pro/fats meals and they contain carbs, as do veggies.
and where do I fit all the desserts in... they are never classified with pro/fats or carbos.

Thanks for any help!

Sheri

BeccaResRN
Thu, Jun-12-03, 20:14
I don't do sommersizing but I eat this bread called orowheat 100% whole wheat light
its 40 cal per slice

2slices has 0.5 g fat
18g carbs
7 g fiber
3 g sugar
4g protein

would that work?? I get it at most any regular grocery store its kinda small slices but tastes really good...no funny low carby taste

I got mine at Safeway and Wlamrt superstore

...be sure its the light kind

Mamabeek
Thu, Jun-12-03, 20:36
You CAN find breads without sugars in them, but it's not easy. If you enjoy baking there are many really good recipes out there you can use. Ezekiel is the most widely available "legal" bread I've been able to find. Try looking in health food stores and you'll probably have better luck. Trader Joe's has a couple of types of bread that have no sugar also.

When Suzanne talks about "carbos" she is referring to carbohydrates derived from grains in particular. So combining grain based carbos with fat or proteins is what she really means. If you can get your hands on one of her books she covers all this pretty well in her explanations, with lots of FAQ sections that seemed to hit on many of the questions I had.

I NEVER eat bread with any kind of sugar in it. That is one of the areas where I refuse to cheat. We all have our little obsessions and that one is mine. Combining high carbs with sugar is exactly what this WOE is trying to teach us not to do, so I take that fairly seriously. If I'm going to cheat at all in that department I do it with fruit; i.e. I get raisin bread sometimes, but if it's got honey or molasses or dehydrated cane juice or maple syrup etc. I don't go there.

I got a bread maker and make two kinds of breads, the ones that are virtually no carbs, made with whey powder and flaxseed flower etc, and the whole grain ones. I eat one type with my eggs and butter and the other with fat free dairy only.

Whole grains are always going to be better for you than stripped grains though, so even if you don't want to Soomersize you will definitely be better off choosing the products you list over the ones full of refined carbs and sugars.

Heavy whipping cream contains NO carbs, and this is what Suzanne tells us to cook with. Regular whipping cream contains about 1g of carbs per serving. My full fat cottage cheese says >1g of carbs on it, so it's pretty low too. Same for Philidephia Cream Cheese. She talks about specific brands in her books and on her site since not all foods are the same. It amazes me how much variation there is on the most simple foods... like extracts for example. Half of them use corn syrup even though they say "100% pure" on the label!

You might try visiting her site at www.suzannesomers.com and look in the discussion section under "legal foods and brands." The site is really helpful in finding specific brands in different parts of the world that suit SS needs.

Good Luck!

MB :wave:

nitrovixen
Sat, Jun-14-03, 10:58
Thanks for all your help!!

ok, I went to the grocery store and collected some carb stuff yesterday.. I bought whole wheat pita bread, Grape Nuts, Whole Wheat Farina, fat free milk, cottage cheese and yogurt. Along with plenty of fruits of course!
I did more research on Suzanne's website last night and she says Farina is now out!? Does that include the whole wheat variety too? AND In her book it says cottage cheese is ok for Pro/fats (whole milk) but then on her website she contradicts herself and says it's only ok to use fat free cottage cheese for carbos. Also my pita bread contains unbleached high gluten flour. I'm not sure if that is ok but now I'm thinking no. But I coudn't find ANY other pita or bread that would work. Even the ones you guys suggested contained sugar, raisin juice, or some other form of sweetener. (Ezekiel and Orowheat ww light)
And I thought I saw that flaxseed was a funky food due to it containing carbs and fat. Am I mistaken?

but my big question that none of my research has uncovered is about snacking. She says you have to wait 3 hours between meal-type changes (ex: carbo to pro/fat) But she also says snacking is ok. So if I had a carbo breakfast, then needed a snack halfway in between (and I'd have to make it a carb one to make the combining work) wouldn't I then have to wait an additional 3 hours after that snack to eat lunch consisting of pro/fat??
She also said you could have several smaller meals, but wouldn't you still have to wait the three hours?

I tried it yesterday (carb breakfast) and after 2.5 or 3 hours I suddenly got very shakey, feverish and ill-feeling. I forgot all about that feeling that carbs give me! I was starving so severely that I really gorged on lunch, something i had been training myself not to do. I ate enough protein and fat for two meals! I was just so shakey and hungry I didn't feel full so I kept eating.. I'm not so sure this plan is for me. I also gained 1.5 pounds!

I know to be fair I need to give it more than a day, but I am very limited on time for my goal, I need to lose a pound a week (at least) for my wedding in August. If this plan is going to set me back or make me gain weight I might wait until later to experiment.

Janeydi
Sat, Jun-14-03, 15:35
I have the same problem you have with eating carbs and then having a blood sugar crash afterwards. I have to eat fat or protein with carbs to slow down that insulin rush.

Thanks, I was snooping around in here, but you just reminded me why I quit doing SS! Weird part is, sugar type carbs bring less of a crash than whole grains. Wheat, in particular is bad. What did you eat for breakfast? I seem to do a little better with oatmeal, but I still don't feel well. I can't remember, can you have the carb meal at lunch? I seem to need more carbs at lunch time.

Don't know any answers to any of your questions--they are good ones!

Good luck,

Amy

KittyKat2
Sat, Jun-14-03, 15:57
This is what I have found for bread at WalMart, Publix & Kroger.

Natures Own

Sugar Free 100% Whole Grain Wheat Bread
Reduced Carbohydrate Premium Whole Wheat

Sugar Free 100% Whole Grain Wheat Buns (available in select areas only)

My Dad found some Whole Wheat Pita Bread that does not have sugar listed in the ingredients...It appears to be 100% legal. I will find out the name of it. I believe it came from Publix or WalMart if you want to look there for it.

I eat Post Bran Flakes. They have a mininmal amount of sugar that doesn't affect me. You could try this with ff milk for a change from GrapeNuts or Shredded Wheat....I got sick of those! The flakes have a crunch and sweetness without a lot of sugar!

Mamabeek
Mon, Jun-16-03, 17:56
Flaxseed meal has 4 grams of carbs, but it also has 4 grams of fiber, so it has zero effective carbs, thus I consider it a pro fats item and use it to make 'no carb' breads. As far as I can tell Vital Wheat Gluten is ok for the same purposes. I generally ask for explanations if things on her site or in her book make no sense to me and if she or her staff can't satisfy me I do what I think is right. For example she insists that Wondercocoa is "almost" level one, but since it contains no caffeine, no fats and no sugars
there should be no problem using it as a legal level one carb.

Since the combining portion of her plan is not clearly understood, scientifically, (though there are some good scientific explanations why some of it should work) I think it is still an evolving idea. She does have contradictions in some areas. Some of that has to do with access to more or newer information such that what she says on her site is more up to date than what is published in her books. You'll find those kinds of changes from book to book too, as she updates her information each time she publishes. I just try to use my head and do what makes sense to me.

The three hour wait is for a carbo meal, only wait 2 hours for a fruit or pro/fats meal. And I don't worry about waiting different lengths of time from snack to meal based on what the snack was. If I am really munchy or if I am very active I might have a couple of snacks between meals. I think that's better than gorging because you're starved or eating something truly bad for you for the same reason. It works well for me to space my meals so that they are roughly 6 hours apart with a snack at the half way mark. I too find that grain based carbs make me crave and fruit based ones do not. The combo fruit/wait 20 mins and then carbs breakfast works well for me. If I have just carbs for breakfast and find myself craving, then my snack is always pro/fats.

For me losing weight and eating in a healthful fashion is a life long project, not a short term goal. There is no guarantee that ANY diet will 'deliver' the exact weight loss you want in the time frame you want it. Yes, this plan works, but it is not about fast weight loss, though most people do see dramatic losses at the beginning. For the kind of results you want Atkins is more likely to be a sure thing, but for a plan you can live with your whole life and one that will help you KEEP the weight off I think this one is the better bet. People are all different though, and what works for me might not work for you.

There is one person here who says she will do SS as her maintenance plan once she has reached her goal on a different LC plan. That might be better for you if you are in such a rush.

Whatever you do, don't cheat yourself by going for a quick loss by a certain date and setting yourself up to yo yo because you've chosen a plan that is unrealistic to stick with for life. :exclm: There's nothing wrong with having a goal, but make sure it's a realistic one and that it is going to help you in the long run.

Best of luck with whatever you choose!

MB

Mamabeek
Thu, Jun-19-03, 11:05
If you get the basic Ezekiel in the orange package there are no sugars whatsoever added. I don't care for the flavor much but toasted with a spread it's ok. I still prefer to make my own.

Good luck!

MB :wave: