PDA

View Full Version : Foods for 21 year old

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Swirl825
Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:43
I have a questions. I'm really wanting to try this low carb diet. However, I am a married 21 year old on a budget. That sentence says a lot! I'm young and don't like to cook, and can't afford expensive low carb foods! Any suggestions? Help! :roll:

Debi Warne
Thu, Jun-05-03, 11:57
chicken & eggs are pretty reasonable. Right now too with it getting close to summer you may be able to find more fresh veggies at good prices -- freeze them for later too.

If you buy the foods in their most natural state they are cheaper than buying the premade dishes. Shop just the outside area of your store so you aren't tempted with those other items.

Maybe looking at whole chickens that you can roast in the oven or cut up and cook, whole roasts, hamburger meat -- I buy my eggs in the 36 count carton because they are so much cheaper that way. Also popping them in the oven or a crock pot and letting them do all the work; hamburger meat make hamburgers and have them without the bun -- you can even pop these in the oven to cook.

Also preparing your meals at home instead of trying to eat out a lot helps. Brown bagging it for lunches and meals away from home helps me a lot.

HTH

Iowagirl
Thu, Jun-05-03, 15:14
Compare your new menu to the old. How expensive and long lasting are a bag of chips? Breakfast cereal?

Check out 'freezer bundles' and other specials at the meat markets. Buy in bulk if you can.

Good luck!

gotaloseit
Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:58
Hi,

I have found that bags of salad at Walmart are much cheaper than the grocery store and even you could probably do a quiche---eggs and cream with cheese, if you want an easy receipe let me know. Also cottage chesse is inexpensive but dont over do it. I also buy bags of chicken breaasts at Sams or Walmart, they make a pretty cheap meal or look for meat specials, you can always fall back on hamburgers for a cheap meal. Good luck, think of it this way, if you make this work now in the future you will be saving tons on medical bills.

Swirl825
Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:00
Thanks for the suggestions.... if only I could learn to use my crock pot now! I've been eating fruit more, and I'm weaning myself off of my cokes... I've been drinking diet coke. After that, maybe I can drink just water. One thing I don't want to give up is my cereal! I eat a bowl every single night after supper... and I'm sure it's unhealthy cereal. What kind of cereal tastes good but is good for a low carb diet? :roll:

lkonzelman
Fri, Jun-06-03, 11:04
There are only a few - LC cereals and none that can be found in a supermarket. Keto makes a couple and CarbSense too. Not my favorites personally and a little pricey.

And you absolutely can't have milk. Unsweetened soy milk (westsoy) has only 1 carb per cup so you can do that.

Sorry....