PDA

View Full Version : Greetings All!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Vonhinx
Thu, Jun-05-03, 09:08
Hello,

I just thought I would put up a post here introducing myself since I have been lurking on your boards for about a week. I am currently on day 8 of a low carb, low calorie diet. You will have to forgive me that one, I have much more faith in law of thermodynamics than the theories of Atkins, hence the calorie portion. I am, however, more than willing to sacrifice carbs if I can continue to eat foods I really enjoy (meat and dairy). I need to play around with my diet a bit more to add some vegetables or a salad with dinner, but otherwise I think I am gtg. I will probably turn to Atkins once I achieve my desired weight for his long-term diet planning.

Simultaneously, I have two other life-style changes I would like to take care of. First, and most vitally, I need to quit smoking. That will likely be happening fairly shortly. I have been a pack-a-day smoker for the last eleven years and desperately need to stop. On my previous attempt (one month before starting grad school . . . brilliant timing LOL), I managed to put on a good twenty pounds during the two months that I was quit. Using candy as a replacement for the oral/hand fixation was a bad idea, I now recognize. This time I will be using sugar-free gum and some teeth-whitening gum (no idea where my parent's found this one . . . just love the support they are giving with this one). At any rate, I figured I would start some sort of diet regimen prior to cessation this time so that I do not get the same hefty weight gains as a result of the quit. Thus I am here.

My second change I am making involves physical activity. I live in NYC, so I am not completely sedentary (as anyone who has lived or even visited the city can attest . . . you walk EVERYWHERE!). However, I have been paying $50 per month for gym membership for over a year now and have never gotten past the lifting machines. Sure I am aware of the huge quantity of cardio-type machines there and classes as well, I have just somehow ignored them. I want to start using them. I just hit the bicycles there for the first time last night and actually enjoyed myself. I was able to read for 45 min without noticing too much that my legs were pumping away. (They have bicycle machines there that have the pedals in front of the seat, rather than below . . . much like the position you sit in while in a car . . . which definitely facilitate reading over the standard bicycle).

So there you have it. I am glad this forum is here for me to read other success stories or read Low Carb related questions.

P.S. If you happen to look at my Fitday, ignore the first two days, LOL. I was unaware of exactly how many carbs there were in milk and killed a quart each day.

Iowagirl
Thu, Jun-05-03, 10:10
Welcome and good luck on all the changes!

The recumbent bikes you describe are quite nice. I have an elliptical machine at home and really enjoy the time I can zone out with headphones and exercise. Gotta find some type(s) of cardio you enjoy, life's too short for drudgery.

Check out the recipes.
:wave: