PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm a Newbie

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Supastar82
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:12
My name is Cherice and I'm almost 21 years old. I've been struggling with depression since I was about 12 years old and over the years I've gained a lot of weight. I'm currently 327lbs., a size 26/28 and at my wits end. I've tried starting the Atkins diet several times this year but failed. Now I'm really frustrated but I ready to try it again. I know it will work for me because when evaluating my diet over 70% of what I eat is carbs. I'm also a borderline diabetic with sleep apnea. I'm scared because diabetes runs rampant in my family, as well as high blood pressure. I've known for a long time that I needed to do something about my weight, but I just can't control myself. My primary goal is to at least get healthier, but my secondary goal is to look good. I've never had a boyfriend or been on a date and I think that's because my self-esteem is so low because of my looks. So on Monday (I have to have time to do some grocery shopping lol) I'm going to try the Atkins diet again and pray that I can succeed. Thanks for listening.

huntress
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:23
I too am sort of new, But you will find the people here such inspirations and encoragers. Ask them any question, throw out any problem they will help. I hope you too will know how much these people care as I have. So welcome and I Know you will do it. The carb cravings will pass and you will feel so much better

Love diane :wave:

ManoOPUS
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:25
Cherice, welcome to the forum! :D
Sounds like you have a lot on your plate (pardon the pun, had to do it) :p
So you've tried several times this year already, I'm in the same boat, I've been dieting all year but started CKD again about a week ago. Man, it's been one hell of a week for me, but I'm glad to have started and got that outta the way. If you don't mind me asking, what was it that caused you to fail? :)

Supastar82
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:38
Well a few times I just couldn't get started and the others I quit because well...I like chocolate cake lol. My biggest thing is I don't have anybody to do this with me. One of my closest friends is heavier than I am and she has no interest in loosing :confused: . Another of my friends is going to have gastric bypass in a few months. Basically I need to just do this and maybe my friend that's not interested in loosing will join in after I start seeing results.

Thanks for the welcome guys :wave: !

azdeb
Tue, Jun-03-03, 20:40
Cherice,
We are here for you. Although this is my first time doing Atkins or any low carb I have been a chronic yo=yo dieter for a long long time. I at one point had myself down to a size 9(for about 4 hours) right before my first weddig= and ballooned up to about a size 26. This is the first WOL I have tried that hasnt left me craving more food and feeling deprived. We are here to cheer each other on. Yoou cand do this!!!!

Deb

thininBC
Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:19
Welcome ! You are definitely in the right place. The people here are very knowledgeable and always willing to share their wisdom. If they can't answer your questions, they will point you in the right direction. You will make it - step by step and bit by bit.

Good luck !

ManoOPUS
Tue, Jun-03-03, 21:38
Originally posted by Supastar82
My biggest thing is I don't have anybody to do this with me.

Cherice, you have 22,483 people here who will do it WITH you.... :D a suggestion? maybe you could start with a CKD for a 3 or 4 weeks and then change over to a TKD plan later. This way you have 2 "free-for-all" day a week to eat whatever you want, ie. chocolate cake ;) . I started last Tuesday (got fed up with all the BS I was telling myself, got mad, got started) and have been on it for 7 days now, can't wait for Fri, donut heaven is on the way (Crispy Creme).....drooling.... what was I saying? oh, uh, if you need some support, I'll help you through it.....and if I can't help, someone here can definitely help you.....good luck :D

violette99
Wed, Jun-04-03, 03:02
Congrats on embarking on a path toward better health and comfort of self. Like everyone says and feels, you have a lot of support on this site. I just started an account at www.fitday.com and I find it so helpful, even just the first day. Also starting a journal is great. (and you can write what you eat in there instead if you want or not track it anywhere--it IS tedious) Anyways, good luck and welcome!!! :sunny:

ps- have you tried low carb chocolate substitutes? Carb Solutions chocolate peanut butter bars sold at 7-11, oh yum!

Supastar82
Wed, Jun-04-03, 14:22
[i]maybe you could start with a CKD for a 3 or 4 weeks and then change over to a TKD plan later. [/B]

What's CKD and TKD?? Once again thanks for the support and I'm steadily getting info so I can go to the grocery store and GNC this weekend :) .

I have another question, is it a good idea to detoxify my body before I start? I've heard that they have some kind of kits at GNC. Are they worth it? If not is there a way to cleanse my system before I start? I want to start out fresh and build up from there.

ManoOPUS
Wed, Jun-04-03, 15:37
http://www.wannabebig.com/printarticle.php?articleid=88

checkout this article, someone else here suggested it, it's very informative.......
Tkd: Targeted ketogenic diet
Ckd: Cyclical ketogenic diet

IMHO, i don't think you need to detox, waste of money.....i'm sure once you get started and been on it for a while (notice the positive thinking ;) ), you'll see it won't matter in the long run..... and while we're on the topic of wasting money, don't goto GNC, way too expensive, try to find a local, mom n pop supplement store, i've found that their prices are usually a lot cheaper than GNC's.....less money, less stress, less excuses= more weight loss...good luck :D

keep the question comin' if you got'em...... :cool:

Supastar82
Wed, Jun-04-03, 20:10
Thanks ManoOpus:). And I'me definately willing to skip GNC in the interest of saving money lol!