PDA

View Full Version : Water-The Most Important Ingredient to Weight Loss and Fitness

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

fern2340
Tue, Jul-03-01, 13:00
Water--The Most Important Ingredient to Weight Loss and Fitness

by Elizabeth Palmer Hale

Are you tired? Do you suffer headaches? Are you having difficulty losing weight or performing up to par? You may be neglecting an easy, yet important part of your health and fitness routine.

We know that water plays a very positive role on how our body functions, yet many of us still aren't consuming the famous eight glasses of water each day.

Habits

"Whenever I go into the kitchen to get a glass of water, I end up grabbing something else instead, like pop", says Hilary.

Hilary is not alone in her actions. Many of us opt out of consuming water because we've never gotten into the habit of drinking it on a regular basis.

"I don't drink nearly enough water", confesses Shelley. "I just don't think about it. I drink a lot of coffee, so I don't get thirsty."

It's a matter of life

Drinking water is no longer an option, it's a necessity.

Our body demands hydration in order to perform optimally. In fact, because our body is made of more than 75% water, we will perish without it.

When you deprive your body of water, it reacts in the same manner as when we deprive ourselves of food.it holds onto what it already has in store instead of eliminating it.

Susan Baumbach is now a believer in the benefits of water. She's made it a habit to drink eight glasses each day, even when she is on the road.

"I'm really aware of my water intake, as I have deduced that headaches I used to get in the afternoon were actually my body's way of telling me it was getting dehydrated."

If that's not reason enough to start drinking, how about this?

Water Perks

At no cost to you, water has multiple commercial benefits:
· quenches your thirst better than any other beverage
· acts as a beauty product by helping to keep your skin blemish free
· cosmetically enhances your body by helping to keep your skin firm
· works as a fitness trainer by helping to maintain your muscle tone

Saving the best for last

"Believe it or not, water is by far the most important element of your weight loss program. If you want to lose weight permanently, drink up" says Joanne Bednar of Motivation Station.

We will spend money on miracle pills and shakes. We'll purchase workout videos and exercise machines. Shouldn't we take advantage of the one tried and true method that costs nothing?

Water is as close as your faucet, doesn't require exercise clothes or a membership and doesn't take any time out of our already jam packed day.

Suggested Intake

Joanne Bednar of Motivation Station suggests you drink 8-10 8-oz. glasses of water each and every day. On the days that you exercise, she recommends you consume 9-13 8-oz. glasses.

Need Help?

If you have a hard time consuming the recommended daily allowance of water, here are a couple of suggestions to make the adjustment (and trips to the bathroom) easier.

· each day for a week, replace one of your traditional beverages with a glass of water. On the second week, replace two beverages with water and so on, until you are drinking your 8 glasses each day.

· fill up a large juice container with water in the morning and attempt to finish it by early evening.

· Try to drink a glass of water before and during each meal.

· Carry a filled water bottle with you whenever you leave the house.