PDA

View Full Version : Hi - just registered and have induction ?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mikdanl
Wed, May-28-03, 15:46
Can a person eat too low of carbs? I am eating around 10 -14 total carbs daily but have been experiencing daily headaches. At the same time I've given up caffeine and was a heavy diet dew drinker, so not sure if these headaches are related to caffeine w/drawal. I was just wondering if others experienced headaches during induction.

Also, I have been sticking to rules of induction to a T - after 2 days I experienced 3.5 lbs weight loss....I was so excited. Now I've actually gained 1 lb back. I'm starting to get frustrated and if I don't lose any weight after today I may consider quitting. I feel better in some ways (my stomach doesn't feel so bloated) but I don't seem to be losing any weight and continue to have these headaches..... Is it typical to wax and wane w/weight loss during induction?

Thanks

luv2dance
Wed, May-28-03, 16:00
Headaches are very common during the induction period. They are caused by carbohydrate withdrawal. The headaches usually go away during the 2nd week.
You can't quit after only 2 days! Try weighing yourself once a week. My weight flucuated during induction too but overall I lost weight. If you want to keep weight off permanently you need to not be so easily discouraged.
If you read DANDR, it should answer most of your questions about induction. I'm not sure if you can eat to little carbs, but I'm sure other people know the answer to that.

Good luck and stick with it! :)

mikdanl
Wed, May-28-03, 16:13
Thanks for responding so quickly - actually I lost 3.5 lbs first 2 days and then maintained same weight level for 4 days (which I was satisified w/since I didn't gain any) then gained 1 lb as of today. I'm not trying to be so easily discouraged but I guess I was expecting to lose a lot during induction and seems like I'm not going anywhere. These headaches are also frustrating but I've been trying to handle them naturally and should probably cave and take some advil.....!!! :p Thanks for input - what is DANDR?

Talon
Wed, May-28-03, 17:06
The headaches could definately be from carb withdraw, but they could also be from caffiene withdraw - from what I remember, mt dew is very high in caffiene!

Weight loss is not consistent, your body could be taking a break, it could just be "unprocessed" food. If you are female, it could be that time of the month and water weight gain. Anything worth having takes patience, weight loss and the road to health included.

Are you subtracting fiber from your carb count to get a effective carb count?

Talon
Wed, May-28-03, 17:07
One more thing:

DANDR = Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution

mikdanl
Thu, May-29-03, 11:51
I'm using the carb counter sheet that I printed from this site. Mainly I've been eating a small cumcumber and small tomato every day. I'm counting the cucumber as 5 carbs and tomato as 4 carbs. but not considering any fiber. I think I need to increase my water intake as well. I'll keep plugging along - this is a lifestyle change for me so not going to worry about the minor set back. :p

lkonzelman
Thu, May-29-03, 12:05
It actually sounds to me like you aren't eating enough allowable carbs (http://atkinscenter.com/Archive/2001/12/15-464579.html) . See the listing on this link and note you are supposed to be eating 2-3 cups of veggies daily.

You can check fitday.com for free for actual carb counts instead of guessing.

Note: not enough natural fiber (=veggie) and you won't flush ;) all those pounds away.