PDA

View Full Version : Almond Cookies

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

LisaUK
Wed, May-28-03, 13:21
My very first attempt at a low carb zero sugar/flour cookie recipe!
I hope I did okay. :rolleyes:

Almond Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup Splenda
1 egg
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups finely ground almonds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
blanched whole almonds

Preheat oven to 375 F

Cream butter and Splenda until light and fluffy;

Add egg and almond extract, mix well.

To the creamed mixture, add the dry ingredients, mix really well.

Splodge by the teaspoon onto a baking tray, it doesn't hold together enough to roll, really.

Flatten slightly by pressing center of cookie with thumb.

Press in an almond in each.

Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until browned.

I would lower the oven temp and cook for longer. They are quite 'cakey' when they're done but ohhhhh the flavour!

You would sub 1 cup of the ground almonds for 1 cup desiccated coconut I think.

You could grind your own nut flour too. Hazelnuts would be fab with this. Dry roast raw hazelnuts, grind and use!

FionaMcB
Wed, May-28-03, 17:17
:wave: Hi Lisa! Your cookies sound good to me, you ought to post them on the RT. Deb

LisaUK
Wed, May-28-03, 17:45
I already did! :D :wave:

LisaUK
Thu, May-29-03, 23:37
WARNING! WARNING!

These cookies are addictive especially when they are still warm! :D

tofi
Fri, May-30-03, 06:53
They DO look good. Did you try to figure out the carb count for them? It would be interesting to know the amounts for the whole recipe (with and without coconut and also "per cookie".

Glad you enjoyed them. :wave:

LisaUK
Sat, May-31-03, 08:40
You know, I haven't gotten quite that technical yet. :D I will do, at some point I suppose. I shall get the calculator out. :)

Kristine
Sat, Aug-23-03, 09:12
These were delicious! :thup: Very nice taste! I didn't have any almond extract, so I just put in a tad of vanilla. I also reduced the Splenda to 2/3 cup, since I seem to be really sensitive to the bitter "baked Splenda" aftertaste. I baked them at 300F for about 25 minutes. I wouldn't describe the texture as "cakey", just delicate, so that change probably fixed them. :thup: These are going to be a new regular treat in my kitchen!

Here's the breakdown I got from fitday.com , but there's a catch: I can't find the carb count for ground almonds, so I assumed 3 cups altogether of whole almonds, including the loose almonds you put on top. I don't know whether or not this is accurate - I bought my almonds pre-ground. If someone can tell me how many cups of whole almonds it takes to make 3 cups of ground almonds, please do. :)

For the *entire recipe*:
cals: 4246
fat: 404
protein: 98
carbs: 108 total - 50 g fiber = 58 effective carbs