PDA

View Full Version : Pop and Sodas Discussion

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lisa&Craig
Mon, Jul-02-01, 13:44
I know sodas aren't good for us, and especially the diet sodas with aspartame.

I heard that the caffeine free sodas are okay, but are they really better that the other ones?
I would like to know because I have cut out sodas completely from my diet for a year now.

My husband however likes to have one once in a while and he keeps getting the diet ones.
His father who is diabetic drinks sodas, diet or regular, all day long.

Are the caffeine free sodas okay to drink, and has anyone in Canada seen them around anywhere 'cause I can't find them anymore?
I'll have to travel to places that do have them just to enjoy them again.

But I do have to admit that since I cut them out I have noticed a steady weight drop, and when I started this diet it helped it along.

Lisa
:)

Bonnie
Mon, Jul-02-01, 14:18
Coke makes a caffeine free diet soda which I'm sure must be available in your area... as to whether they are good or bad.. I guess it is an individual decision... some folks are able to consume them with little effect while others claim they cause a stall to weight loss...

:) Bonnie

agonycat
Mon, Jul-02-01, 14:26
Actually Lisa/Craig, caffeine sodas aren't really okay. Caffeine is a known stimulant that can cause blood chemistry to go haywire.

The rule of thumb is, if you are consuming caffeine and not losing any weight, to cut it out completely and check again.

Everyone is different so your mileage may vary from others.

Deirdre
Mon, Jul-02-01, 15:49
There's caffeine free Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi and most major supermarket chains have their own version. The store brands are usually also sodium free, and have less aspartame. The sodium seems to make a difference for me, not the caffeine. I sleep better without the caffeine but I have more energy with it. I have been drinking lots of it since I started Atkins. In fact, I drink it instead of water, but that's just me!

Lisa&Craig
Thu, Jul-05-01, 07:18
Well I ventured out to a different store than my usual one yesterday to look for some caffeine free sodas.

I did find the caffeine free and caffeine free diet sodas, brand names Pepsi and Coke.
Those were the only two, and right there in big print:
"SWEETENED WITH ASPARTAME". :mad:

Well, I went to my regular place "Loblaws" and found in the natural section, carbonated drinks.
They have many flavours, all the fruit flavours are 100% fruit juices and it says there is no sugar other than sweetened with those fruits. The name brand is "R.W. Knudsen Family"

I enjoyed the drink and will take one of those over the other sodas now.

The drink is made in the United States so for those of you from there who are also looking for an alternative to sodas, try to find some of these drinks.

Have a healthy day. :)
Lisa

agonycat
Thu, Jul-05-01, 07:46
No sugar added, but sweetened with "natural fruit juice" aka sugar.

Sugar is sugar....doesn't matter if it's processed or "natural" it is still sugar aka carbohydrates. That one single drink sweetened with "natural fruit juice" is probably 20+ carbohydrates.

How many carbs did it say on the label?

Lisa&Craig
Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:23
It didn't say how many?
I did taste it, but didn't drink it all.
I'm still looking for a number on the web to call this company to ask them for the nutritional info and I'm looking for someone to bring this drink to to see if they can tell me.

Anyway, sodas aren't good for anyone, period.

Oh well, guess there aren't any carbonated drinks anywhere for me. I'm still looking I guess.
There is one good thing though, I haven't had any sodas for a year and a half, until I tasted that yesterday! :)
And I don't like fizzy drinks everyday. Even when it was sodas, I only had maybe two in a month.

One more thing.... other than water (which I do drink a lot of), what -CAN- I drink that has flavour and a low carb count?

Thanks for the input. All of your advice has been useful and I have gotten past the stall I was at and now I'm at 16 ponds lost since May 12 th 2001. It's a start.
I'll see you all at the finish line!
Thanks again,
Lisa

agonycat
Thu, Jul-05-01, 08:43
I drink Diet RC's. They are sweetened with Splenda. And yup it has caffeine in it, but so far has yet to cause me to stall out.

Until I hit a major stall I am keeping my caffeine. :) It's my last vice, since I have quit smoking and drinking.

Deirdre
Thu, Jul-05-01, 12:35
In Canada Diet RC is made with aspartame. Diet Crush (orange and cream soda) is made with Splenda, and so is Virgin diet cola (has caffeine though) or Slim Jones (diet version of Jones Soda). They're hard to find, except for the Crush which they have in 12 packs of cans in most grocery stores. Oh yeah, there's also diet Clearly Canadian, no caffeine, made with Splenda.

MCFARLAND
Thu, Jul-05-01, 12:45
i have heard people say that aspartame has caused a stall in weight loss, and I know there are some heath concrens about it's uses. I guess that is a personal decison.

Atkins says that he has seen aspartame cause people to stall, I have not experienced it, I drink a ton of soda (a lot of water too.)
My concern would be more with the caffene, I love the energy boost; but, it does in some people (including me) increase appetite. Willpower will beat hunger, but why make the mountian higher?

Bonnie
Thu, Jul-05-01, 13:13
The only diet soda made with Splenda and caffeine free that I am aware of is Diet Rite Soda made in Jacksonville, Florida...I contacted the company to see if they had distributors elsewhere and they seem to be concentrated mainly in the Florida area possibly only on the central eastern coast...anyone here from Florida add any more input????... too bad as this is a really good soda ....IMHO better than any Coke or Pepsi Product...

NNN
Thu, Jul-05-01, 18:26
Hi Bonnie. I have bought a 2 litre bottle of diet orange Crush . But it must have been in Sobeys because Super Store does not have it. I have not seen the cans here in Nova Scotia yet but I have not looked much either. I also buy Trident gum made with Splenda.
Norma

Bonnie
Thu, Jul-05-01, 18:53
Originally posted by NNN
Hi Bonnie. I have bought a 2 litre bottle of diet orange Crush . But it must have been in Sobeys because Super Store does not have it. I have not seen the cans here in Nova Scotia yet but I have not looked much either. I also buy Trident gum made with Splenda.
Norma

You are correct NNN, have a 2 litre bottle here and ironically we can get them in most supermarkets just north of ya (but no cans here either)... Sobeys and Superstore... no caffeine listed as an ingredient ...not certain if Crush is readily available in the central and western parts of Canada... for a cola type drink though sure wish Diet Rite sodas were available here... was able to purchase 24 cans at Walmart superstores in the south for $5.00 US without any extra charged for deposit :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Trident gum with Splenda is excellent and I carry it in my purse at all times... thanks for pointing these items out :)

Stina
Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:05
I am out in BC and have yet to find diet Crush anywhere. I have a local grocery store looking into it to see if they could order some in. Diet cream soda would be awesome. For now, clearly canadian is my absolute fav but pricey.

I also haven't found any of the diet Jones yet either <sigh>.

Bonnie
Thu, Jul-05-01, 19:29
Those of us who have followed this WOE for awhile have I'm sure tried to figure out things that work and help stay on track.. hubby and I both started LC November 1999... in that time I have faithfully tried to stay away from caffeine and am now approximately 10 lbs. from goal wt. but have been this way for quite some time..on the other hand hubby has constantly dropped from a beginning weight of approx. 220 lbs. to now hitting the scales at 165 yesterday...here is the thing..he gets up every morning without fail and makes a ten cup pot of coffee (not caffeine free) and proceeds to drink at least two to three cups of this during the day complete with cream and Splenda...he's a prime example where somehow the caffeine works just the opposite of what is to be expected...what really bothers me is his announcement in the mornings when he has dropped another lb. and I am still just staying the same...pretty soon I'm going to grab a coffee cup and join him.....:rolleyes:

JeanetteJ
Fri, Jul-06-01, 14:47
Originally posted by Lisa&Craig

One more thing.... other than water (which I do drink a lot of), what -CAN- I drink that has flavour and a low carb count?

Lisa,
I make lemonade with water, a spoonful of lemon juice, and a packet of sweetener.
-Jeanette

Bonnie
Fri, Jul-06-01, 15:31
Here is a clone of Snapple Lemon Iced Tea...sugar-free version:

8 cups water
3 Lipton tea bags (Orange Pekoe and pekoe cut black blend) I use decaffinated tea...
3/4 cup Splenda or sweeten to taste
1/3 cup plus 2 tbs. lemon juice (again adjust to taste)

Method:

Boil water in large saucepan over high heat...When water comes to a boil, turn off heat , add tea bags and cover...let tea steep for about an hour...let tea cool ...add Splenda into a 2 quart pitcher, add the tea and lemon juice.... fill pitcher with ice cubes and lemon slices.

I usually double the batch, fill and refrigerate extra bottles with tea...

Cheatara
Thu, Jul-19-01, 12:55
I drink Diet RC's. They are sweetened with Splenda. And yup it has caffeine in it, but so far has yet to cause me to stall out.

No, it doesn't.

Karen
Thu, Jul-19-01, 13:45
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it doesn't.

Interesting first post Cheatara!

I'm having my "stupid" day (yep, usually Thursday's are designated for this), so I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what this means. Do you mean it doesn't have caffeine or it doesn't cause you to stall. Can you help me out?

Karen

Bonnie
Thu, Jul-19-01, 14:30
Gee, Karen I was about to ask the same thing when you beat me to the punch...wondering what the answer is here Cheatara:confused:

Bonnie

Cheatara
Fri, Jul-20-01, 10:43
Diet RC Cola is caffeine free. I have a box of cans in my fridge, it says it right on the box. See: http://www.dietritecola.com/

Bonnie
Sun, Jul-22-01, 17:26
Diet RC Cola is caffeine free. I have a box of cans in my fridge, it says it right on the box. See: http://www.dietritecola.com/

Gee, Cheatra I may be wrong here but I don't think Diet Rite Cola and Diet RC Cola are one and the same entity... I concur that Diet Rite Cola is definitely made with Splenda and caffeine free because I drank Diet Rite Cola while I was in Florida but Diet Royal Crown Cola which I think agonycat is referring to actually does contain caffeine according to this website:

http://store.yahoo.com/bevsdirect/2400492.html

Hope this clears up any confusion :D

Cheatara
Sun, Jul-22-01, 21:58
I've never seen that diet RC before. Diet Right is made by RC cola, and if you go to http://www.rccola.com and look at their list of products diet right is the only diet pop listed. Hmm, perhaps the diet RC is not provided in the US?

Bonnie
Mon, Jul-23-01, 03:41
Originally posted by Cheatara
I've never seen that diet RC before. Diet Right is made by RC cola, and if you go to http://www.rccola.com and look at their list of products diet right is the only diet pop listed. Hmm, perhaps the diet RC is not provided in the US?

Since 1905, the famous crisp clean taste of RC has been a favorite of cola drinkers everywhere. RC comes in three refreshing flavors: Royal Crown Cola, Diet RC and Cherry RC.
Royal Crown was relaunched in the U. S. last year with a dynamic new logo, new packaging graphics and new television and print ads with the tagline, "Be Free, Drink RC." With a NASCAR sponsorship and cameo appearances on "ER," "The Simpsons," and "Everybody Loves Raymond," Royal Crown Cola is winning new fans each and every day.

In 1998 Diet RC became the first carbonated soft-drink to be sweetened with Splenda — a non-aspartame sweetener.

I think if you read the whole article which I have posted Cheatra the above is referring to Diet RC (Royal Crown) Cola whereas the article further down the list Diet Rite Cola is a separate drink sans caffeine....

Bonnie

Cheatara
Mon, Jul-23-01, 08:32
So where do you find this? I've been trying to convince my mom to go off apartame for years, but she won't do it with out caffeine. She also won't order off the internet, so that won't help. She drinks 3 2-liters of diet coke a day.

Bonnie
Mon, Jul-23-01, 09:56
Originally posted by Cheatara
So where do you find this? I've been trying to convince my mom to go off apartame for years, but she won't do it with out caffeine. She also won't order off the internet, so that won't help. She drinks 3 2-liters of diet coke a day.

If you check my previous response with your quote Cheatra, I posted the info from the site you provided ;) go back into the site and reread all the info in regards to the different types of sodas :)

Bonnie

goingfor60
Thu, Aug-16-01, 23:15
I am looking for an aspartame free soda - I know the diet rite sodas are good, but what else?

I keep reading about rootbeer floats (diet rootbeer & heavy cream) - and I must have read every rootbeer label in the supermarket tonight and came up with nothing.

Any ideas?

goingfor60
Shannon

Bonnie
Fri, Aug-17-01, 05:13
Shannon,

This link describes what products seem to be available in the LC Beverage/Shake category:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/reviews-beverages.html

Bonnie

irish
Sun, Aug-26-01, 11:51
Along with lots of water, I drink "Diet Rite Cola" made by RC. It has no aspartame, sodium, caffeine, or calories. It's sweentened with Spenda. I love it. I've had no problem finding it in my area of the world (northern KY, southeast Indiana, or southwest Ohio.

Lisa&Craig
Sun, Aug-26-01, 14:11
Wow!
I couldn't find my original post about the sodas and clicked on the wrong forum today to find myself staring at the exact one I've been looking for!

I guess my hand knew where to go and not my head!

Well thanks to all of you who gave me so much info.
Every product that we can learn more about to eliminate all the bad stuff will help to reach our goals.

keep up the good work and much success to all of you!

Lisa

iteachca
Sun, Aug-26-01, 16:43
So what is the problem with Aspertame? The PP book is rather vague about it.
Donna