PDA

View Full Version : Transition stories/ need encouragement

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Bustmybutt
Thu, May-15-03, 12:20
I started TSP a couple of weeks ago. I can say that after all the yoyo diets and the last few months of little to no carbs, I feel like a million bucks. I don't weigh myself, but I do measure. I have not gained anymore weight, which is encouraging.

I have very badly damaged adrenal glands from years of never sleeping, dieting, over exercising and excessive use of stimulants. I never had a weight problem until I quit smoking last August. I knew people gained weight after quitting, so I dieted even more strictly and then trained very hard at the gym. When the weight started packing on, I freaked out and traned harder and dieted more. I still kept gaining. I even went on Atkin's induction for two months, and still gained weight although I was in ketosis. Of course the doctors never could find out what was happening to me. I gained 50 pounds in four months.

Now I know what happened and although I know the weight loss does not start right away, I would love to hear encouraging stories about your recoveries. I do feel much better and feel my energy levels returning after the crash. I wake up in the mornings refreshed again! I do get tired more easily at work, but I think it is because I am a human, and not the ephedrine queen anymore. My periods are still a mess, and my hormones and moods fluctuate quite wildly still. However I don't feel like I want to die anymore.

Since I don't weigh myself, I measure once a week. I need to lose five inches from my waist, chest, hips and thighs to be where I used to be. It is hard to accept the fact that I am almost half a foot wider then I used to be. I try to love myself, but the weight gain and the inability to lose it, no matter what I have done, is my biggest stress in life. I can manage everything else just fine, but my self esteem and self worth are in the crapper. How do you cope with this?

KoKo
Thu, May-15-03, 12:45
Hello there BustmyButt

I can't give you exactly what your looking for but.... there are several of us who are also in the first weeks of SB2 - at times we are all worrying about the weight loss though we are trying to focus mainly on recovering our health. We are all supporting each other - we are the Beiner Sisters - if you like check my journal and you will find the trail to other beiners at the same stage as you.

You and I have several things in common - I gained my weight from quitting smoking too (stupidly I started again in a desprate attempt to lose the pounds) I started out 5 inches bigger in bust waist and hips - my waist is almost back to normal the bust is shrinking but the butts got a way to go still. However I checked your profile and you have a big advangage over me at 6ft tall - I'm one of those shrimpy short stuff people - 5'2.5 (that half inch is very important to me!!)

All of the Beiners have been feeling much better so please check us out. I had a bad day yesterday but it was my own fault - issues similar to what you are having got to me.

Wishing you luck

Bustmybutt
Thu, May-15-03, 14:52
Thank you for the comments. This is my last hope of ever having my body back again. I have done The fat flush, Atkin's, Somersizing and the typical low fat diets. Nothing has worked and has made me gain weight. Of course I am freaking out, but I am now out of the denial stages I was in. I had to diet myself and over exercise myself into the ground before I accepted the fact that I could not lose weight. Nothing made sense anymore. I used to bodybuild and my husband still does. I have completely stopped the gym now, but do long easy going hikes with my dogs every day. My body can tolerate that and I am not stressing my body out.

I do notice although my measurements do not change, I feel slimmer during different parts of the day. That makes no sense at all, but there are times that I do feel slim. At those times I do not dare look into the mirror.

I will check out the journals. I am glad to have stumbled on this group. I felt pretty alone on the different diet boards since my inability to lose weight was heart breaking for me.

All I can say is that I am glad I have not gained inches so far.

wcollier
Fri, May-16-03, 09:22
Hi Bustmybutt:

Another 'beiner sister here. Doing the Insulin Sensitive/Burned out Adrenal Glands program. I don't really have a success story for you and I'm not sure if there are any here at the moment. I wish Dr. S. would get a bulletin board on her forum b/c I'd really like to hear the same. But, I know in my heart, that this is right. You reach a point where you give up the weightloss agenda b/c you can't fight your body any longer. That's where I am. But I'm feeling this strange sense of peace come over me since starting this program. I guess Dr. S. would say that I've replenished my seratonin levels.

This is a tough place to be. Putting all your trust in Dr. S., balking at all the "weightloss" stuff that we constantly hear. Those things we have to keep repeating to ourselves... No, we can't workout as often as we'd like. No, a calorie is not a calorie. No, too few carbs will send our adrenline levels too high. Balance! No we're not wussies for taking care of ourselves. Trust, trust, trust...

You might like to start up a journal so we can all support one another. There are a few of us here for ya.

Wanda