PDA

View Full Version : Hi all 22 type 1 diabetic here

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sarahbeth
Wed, May-14-03, 01:47
My doctor has been urging me to go on atkins for the past two years. Recently with all the stress at work and everything going on in my life, my diabetes became out of control. I went back to the doc and this time when he said atkins i gave in. It has helped my blood sugars so far. The less carbs i eat the less of a spike in the blood sugar. I am on insulin being my pancreas doesnt work and will have to be for life. I guess this is the plan for me.

My first three induction days were off to a bad start. I did everything fine under the 20 carbs until i had an insulin reaction ( very low blood sugar) from taking to much insulin for the protiens and had to drink fruit juice to get myself back up to normal. Anyway today is my second day with no problems. Wish me luck. Its very hard balancing insulin injections, whats enough, whats not enough. I dont want anymore low blood sugars or induction will last forever for me.

Anyway please any tips or suggestions im open.

Im planning on getting Dr. Bernstiens diabetic solution book, being he is a type one diabetic himself recommending low carbs. So i guess my doctor is right. Please if there are any other type 1 diabetics out there please let me know how you are doing on this.

Oh a question before i forget, anyone taking hydroxycut? i was before the plan, i wanted to know if this will by chance add carbs.

Ok enough rambling its almost one am and im half asleep lol
Nice to meet you all!

Sarah

luv2dance
Wed, May-14-03, 10:46
Hi Sara!

I'm a newbie too! I'm 27 and live in Ohio. The main reason I started Aktins was because I was of scared of developing Type II Diabetes, which my father and many of my extended reletives have. When my father was diagnosed with Diabetes he had to go on a strict diet. So I figure I might as well try to control my weight now rather than later.
I'm sure there are people on this board that have Type I diabetes and can give you more information.
This is my 2nd week on induction. Before induction, I was a sugar addict, I had cravings all the time and was very moody. I think my carbohydrate addiction controlled my life. The first week of induction was difficult with the side effects but I feel great now!
I feel very optimistic about the Atkins diet and making it a part of my life.
As for Hydroxycut, I don't think you need it anymore if you're starting Atkins. You'll lose weight with Atkins alone.
Good luck! :daizy:

Jen
167/157/125