PDA

View Full Version : Just starting

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Dreamer229
Fri, May-09-03, 17:51
I'm new here and I'm just starting LC. I'm reading Protein Power right now. I did LC before, not long ago, but it was my own type version instead of reading a book first. I did well with it, didn't lose anything but I felt a lot better. That was a few months ago and I've been feeling pretty bad lately so I figured it was time to read a book to learn more about it, and put it into practice, doing it the right way.

I'm not one to post much, I mostly lurk, but I wanted to introduce myself. I'm 43, married, have two daughters, two grandsons, one granddaughter, one granddaughter due any day, a dog and a cat. So, hello to everyone!

DJ

Rosebud
Fri, May-09-03, 18:11
Hi there Dreamer,

Welcome, and I'm glad you decided to delurk!

Yes, it is just so important to read the book before starting. You should do well now that you're armed with knowledge.

Have you visited our PP forum yet? You'll find support and specific info there.

Happy low carbing.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

Nemo
Fri, May-09-03, 18:45
I am a newbie I am new here and am not sure what to do and how to best use this forum for support and information, I don't even think I am in the right spot to submit this message-need help,

I started 4 days ago and am down 4 pounds, I hope I have found something that will help me in the dieting game.

I feel a little weak and weird today since starting the Atkins Diet, any suggestions? :confused:

vachick
Sat, May-10-03, 14:08
I'm on third week of induction and saw these 0.3 gram carb chocolate bars at Walgreens by Carbolite. Are these allowed?? I'm going to try to hold out until after induction to eat it but I am curious. Apparently, Walgreens carries a lot of low-carb items such as this.

Eight pounds in two weeks - onward!

Rosebud
Sat, May-10-03, 18:06
Hi Nemo, welcome!

Are you drinking enough water? Sometimes dehydration can leave us a little lightheaded. We all lose extra water at the beginning of a low carb eating plan, so drinking plenty of water is essential.

It also helps to take supplements. A multivitamin is very helpful, as is a calcium and magnesium supplement in a 2 cal:1 mag formulation, giving a total 1000mg calcium.
But the one which could be contributing to a weak, lightheaded feeling is potassium. The excess water loss also washes out electrolytes like potassium. This can be replaced by using a potassium salt such as No Salt and sprinkling on your food, or with tablets - a total 400mg per day. Do take potassium tablets with food, and if you take tablets such as antihypertensives or diuretics, check first with your pharmacist.

Hi Vachick, 8 pounds in 2 weeks is excellent - well done!
The low carb chocolate bars and low carb "meal replacement" bars contain sugar alcohols, which can stall many people. The only way to know whether or not you'll be affected is to try them yourself. They also can act as laxatives. :o
You can read more about sugar alcohols in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Nemo
Sun, May-11-03, 19:12
I am now at seven days in and the last two days I have not seen a decrease as I did in the first five days, is this typical? I even stepped up the exercize and NO I have not strayed!

Rosebud
Sun, May-11-03, 19:30
I have not seen a decrease as I did in the first five days, is this typical?
Yes, this is very normal. Low carb weight loss often happens in fits and starts, or, as we term it, plateaux and whooshes. I know it seems awfully frustrating, but as long as you just keep following your plan, some more loss will happen before long.

BTW, a true stall is no pounds or inches lost in 4 to 6 weeks. ;)

Check out the info on whooshes etc in this site. (http://www.jalilahsahar.com/whooshes.html)

Cheers.