PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How are you cheating?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

carpathia1
Tue, May-06-03, 20:27
Because I know you are! ;) I think TSP is practically impossible to follow to the letter, i.e., eating meat the day you buy it, only using organic veggies, eating no man made foods, restricting some cheeses but not others.

I'm thinking that most, if not all people are ignoring some of Dr. S's rules, and I'm curious to know which are going out the windows.

I'm wondering in particular how many of you out there are staying away from all artificial sweeteners, including fructose?

And, are you still successful at weight loss if you don't follow all the rules? I figure I'll get healthier with each rule I follow, but at what point does the weight loss end?

Thanks for your replies!

:D

Carolyn

caverjen
Tue, May-06-03, 21:00
Let me count the ways...

1. Artificial sweeteners, although I am using stevia more often
2. Low-carb bars for when I need a snack on the go
3. Occasionally eat bacon or sausage that contain nitrites
4. Occasionally have a sugar-sweetened dessert, but at least I go for cheesecake or premium ice-cream or something not too ridiculously high in carbs
5. Occasionally drink a beer or a glass of wine
6. Chocolate... need I elaborate? I have cut back.

The following I don't consider cheats:
1. Aged cheeses, since Dr. S. states you can eat them in moderation (I don't go overboard or even eat them everyday). Some of her recipes even call for aged cheeses.
2. Non-organic foods. I do buy organic when I can find it, but I don't want to limit my variety of foods to what is available in organic. I do buy almost all my meat from a farm that raises free-range, grass-fed animals.
3. Caffeine, because Dr. S. recommends that those with burned out adrenals stay on caffeine for awhile to adjust.

My biggest vice right now is diet soda. I really want to quit this addiction. Green tea just isn't the same. :( Sometimes I need a quick fix of caffeine.

Jen

workinmom
Tue, May-06-03, 21:27
Jen -- I was the biggest diet soda drinker there was! I actually kept track for a week (because my chiro asked me to -- he HATES diet soda) and I averaged over 100 oz a day!!!! My husband was right there with me.

As of Jan. 1, I decided to start by giving up the DIET (aspartame). I switched to regular and because I was SO paranoid about gaining pounds and because I honestly don't like regular soda - I found myself at about 1 glass per day. Now I'm down to a Sprite every now and then, but rarely.

If you would have asked me on Dec. 31 if I thought I could go 4 months without a diet soda, I would have laughed! Now I'm finding it's not so bad after all --

YOU CAN DO IT TOO!! :roll: :roll:

workinmom
Tue, May-06-03, 21:31
As for the poll --

my cheats include:

Still using some sugar -- occasional lemonade (yum!)
I eat in the cafeteria at my workplace for lunch and who KNOWS what they cook with -- I always try to go for the meat entree and veggies, but I'm sure they aren't completely legal.
I was using regular mayo, but I finally went to Whole Foods and picked up the expeller-pressed stuff.
BBQ Sauce

That's my biggest, but hey, I do what I can!

tigger64
Tue, May-06-03, 21:48
I have never been able to find whole cream without chemicals--soooo, I use the only stuff I can find. I also eat cheeses ALOT that she says should only be used occasionally or never. I also eat out some and hope I'm getting food without any added sugar--sometimes I ask but dislike the questions/stupid looks I get when I do. I am really bad about measuring food out--I'm insulin sensitive with burned out adrenals (I think)--so I should be keeping up with how much protein and carbs, but I kinda guess. I used to be hooked on Atkins bars, but have weaned off of them. I do alot of decaf tea and coffee. You can only do the best that you can do with the resources available! :) I'm sure I'll think of more cheats later.

Tig

Suni
Wed, May-07-03, 09:35
Hi & Good Morning

I don't always conciously count my carbs and/or protein - I sort of "guestimate". On the weekends, when DH and I shop, occasionally we'll buy a "sweet treat" - last Saturday was a cinnamon bun with frosting and raisins. However, before TSP we each would have indulged in one, now we split one (& I do the "splitting") and he gets the larger portion. On the weekend we also purchase fresh sourdough bread and probably have more than the allowed portion. If I am dying for a "treat" I make smoothies with frozen mixed fruit/berries/melon with organice yougurt, protein powder and cream, a banana if I have one around. I know the fruit is high in carbs but I figure there's fibre there too so how bad can it be for us. I don't allow chocolate in the house so when I want a small treat, I purchase a few squares of the "good" stuff (70% cocoa) and I find it satisfying. I believe I need to be more concious of portion control and I am unable to find bacon without nitrates. I find organic meat way to expensive for our budget so we eat regular meat. Occasionally for breakfast we eat a small bowl of cereal. And I am sure we don't always get the proper mix of protein and carbs at every meal. But I/we are doing the best we can and plugging along. Except for the occasional "fall off the l-c wagon" on the weekend I have almost eliminated sugar from our diet - I am diligent at reading labels - altho hubby hates Stevia in his decaf and insists on a lump of sugar (cut back from 2 tsp.). If I add any sweetner to anything (like the smoothies) it is Stevia and occasionally I will drizzle a small amount of honey on my oatmeal.

rosarugosa
Wed, May-07-03, 10:00
I use Splenda and fructose occasionally although more and more I find Stevia quite satisfying. I could not afford to eat daily if I only bought organic vegetables and meat. I sometimes use canned goods (but always check the sodium content ). Chocolate sometimes, dark and or semi-sweet. If I am rushed to where a meal is impossible I will have a 'Balance Bar' when away from home etc.

I have found it difficult to desire a balanced meal/snack *everytime*,especially working a vegetable into every breakfast. I did like the suggestion someone gave recently to have at least a carrot stick etc. --I find I can keep some in the frig. in water and stomach it (even enjoy it) along with protien and controlled carb amount!

I can only afford mid -priced supplements, so that is what I use.

What I like about TSP is what I read as working toward improving one's own health/life/WOE/WOL. I think this is how we have to figure how the weight loss is working also. I am quite satisfied with it , finding that I learn more and more everyday about my system, do not put weight back on, and do lose gradually.

What I am strict with is having whole grains and eliminating refined sugar.

Will I ever 'pick up the first stone to cast it'? no,no,no! ;)

Piano
Wed, May-07-03, 10:25
- I used to drink 2-5 diet pepsis a day. I am now down to 1 or 2 a week. Improvement but not perfection.
- I never use artificial sweeteners outside of the diet pepsi, I've switched to stevia as a sweetener and occasionally some honey.
- Organic food is soooo expensive so I buy it as I can afford it. Ex: I'll pay $.50 more for a bag of organic carrots, but I won't pay $2.00 for a stupid organic apple. I have found some great sources of no-nitrate meat.
-Sometimes I don't get all of the meals in when I'm busy.

I have lost at a 1 pound per week rate. But mostly I feel a whole lot better!

Piano

Sunski
Wed, May-07-03, 15:50
Reading this thread, I'm starting to think that I cheat in too many ways to even count -- other posts served as a reminder of all the stuff I'm doing wrong.

These are the things that I don't consider cheating, but technically are:

-use canned chicken to make chicken salad instead of poaching my own

-I don't buy anything organic -- as others have said, it's too expensive (organic eggs here are $3.99/dozen compared to $0.89 for non-organic, for example)

-can't find bacon without nitrates

-had bought a big jug of corn oil just before starting SP'ing, so am using that up -- I will buy canola oil next time

-salted nuts

-aged cheeses

-regular, commercial mayo (again, the cold pressed stuff at the health food store is way too expensive)

-not using meat the day I buy it

-not eating at least 3 servings per week of fish

-not limiting my red meat consumption to 3 servings per week

-cream with additives

These are things that I do that I know are cheating and hope to get better about:

-using artificial sweetner -- Splenda in my oatmeal and yogurt, the occasional Diet Rite, Sugar Free chocolate -- I am trying to get used to Stevia

-Michelob Ultra low carb beer (just a couple on the weekends)

-fast food -- once every few weeks, I grab a salad at McDonalds or Subway

-commercial salad dressing when we go out to dinner

But then again, I keep telling my husband that I need to find a way to make this WOE livable for me and maybe these last few things are what I need to stay sane.

And now I feel so bad that I am going to list what I am doing right:

-eating a protein at every meal or snack

-staying within my carb limits

-other than the things listed above, eliminating processed foods -- only eating whole grain breads, for example

-limiting fruit

-limiting "man made" carbs

-eliminating sugar

-no caffeine (of course, since I gave this up several years ago, this isn't much of a sacrifice for me)

-eating lots of vegetables, including with breakfast, even though I, like Rosa, don't want vegetables then

orkneyinga
Wed, May-07-03, 21:57
Hi-- Here are my cheats (after I got out of carbohydrate hell and I was through the worst of the sugar cravings)

If I crave sugar, I eat a grapefruit or some dark chocolate (the good expensive stuff). Sometimes both if I had a bad day.

Lattes! -- I drink formaldehyde-ridden decaf lattes and have cut back from 1 a day (Starbucks in my office building is a bad thing) to 1 or 2 a week. Still trying to cut back on these more.

Sometimes will do what Suni said and split a dessert with my hubbie and can really see how far I've come because we used to each waay overeat sugar and to feel in control enough to split a dessert is so cool.

Love Zone bars (chocolate graham) with peanut butter on it. It has protein but has corn syrup and other nasty things-- but is so yummy if I need to cheat.

Mostly try to use fruit to stay away from sugar and if I overeat fruit, I try to eat cottage cheese to offset... or not worry about it because that is so much healthier than what I used to eat and you'll get where you are going if you want it bad enough.

Good topic!

Scarlet
Thu, May-08-03, 06:55
Reading all these has freaked me out and made me realise just how much I am cheating. However, I have mixed TSP with TIRD so I suppose I don't have to follow Schwartzbein 100%.

Things I do which are TECHNICALLY cheating, but which I'm fine with:

I have a caffeine filled cup of tea when I havent slept and need to work, otherwise I have decaf tea all the time

I eat a LOT of cheese, particularly red cheddar which she says should be limited

I eat salted nuts and roast my own

I have protein shakes about 3 times a week

Very Occassionally I havea protein bar, but only in emergencies

Things which I need to work on:

When I order a quarter pounder in McDonalds, I eat the bun :o . It's ok for me in terms of carb count but all that white flour is BAD. Also, in McDonalds I'll eat some fries, not much, but still........

I drink about 4l diet pepsi a week. I really need to CUT DOWN, but at least I see it as a treat now and don't have it with all my meals.

I have too much LC chocolate, sweetened with aspartene which isn't good

I don't eat often enough sometimes

I don't eat veggies at every meal, but do have them for every dinner and much more than I used to

I'll often choose man made carbs over real ones

So, TSP can indeed be hard to adhere to, but at least we are all WORKING towards health and eating lots of veggies and more natural foods than the majority of the population.

zandria72
Fri, May-09-03, 19:00
"-I don't buy anything organic -- as others have said, it's too expensive (organic eggs here are $3.99/dozen compared to $0.89 for non-organic, for example)"

Hey, you're in Minnesota...if you hunt around, you ought to be able to find a farm with chickens, right? If I were still in Iowa, that would be what I'd do. ;)

carpathia1
Sat, May-10-03, 16:32
I've been pretty good, but today for a snack I had a Pure D-lite chocolate bar with almonds and some peanut butter. :( Celery and carrots were the veggies for the snack. I stayed within my carb limit for the snack, but Dr. S sure wouldn't approved of the man made chocolate flavored with malitol and Splenda. Sometimes a girl just has to have chocolate. :D

Carolyn

Rosemerry
Mon, May-12-03, 14:32
Carolyn,

I'm almost sorry I discovered these De-Lite low carb chocolate bars! I get the dark chocolate ones and they are not at all bad. I try to eat just a half of one at a time but today I succombed to the whole bar; good thing they're fairly small.

Don't quite understand how the Maltitol sweetner negates the carb effect but oh well!

Rosemary

saramun
Fri, May-16-03, 09:38
What a great poll! It has given me a lot of insight for my own WOE.

At Christmas, I fell off the wagon hard, and stayed that way for about 4-5 months. I know, it seems silly to think that someone can fall off the Schwarzbein plan because it's not a diet, but I had it in my mind that I had failed, and proceeded to gain back half the pounds I had lost.

I think a contributing factor to my failure was that I followed this way of eating to the letter (including taking the vitamins). My only cheat was a morning cup of coffee. I craved sweets, but deprived myself. Artificial sweeteners make me really sick, so that provided me no relief. I did this for three months, and at Christmas I *EXPLODED*!!

It's great that you all cheat--in fact, I don't even want to call it cheating. It's a decision not to deprive yourself when you really want something. I think it contributes to your success in the long run.

I'm back on the wagon now, but I've decided to allow myself a bowl of cereal, a piece of cake, or french bread if I really want it. I won't feel guilty about it either!

If anyone is interested, a very good book that discusses deprivation and reactions to it is "Overcoming Compulsive Eating" by Geneen Roth (oh yeah, it also discusses compulsive eating!). My friends and I have found it very helpful.

Saramun