PDA

View Full Version : Soybean Oil???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mwallace29
Tue, May-06-03, 11:25
What about dressings made with Soybean Oil ~ are they good or bad?

acohn
Tue, May-06-03, 14:53
Soybean Oil is inherently neither good nor bad, IMHO. It is an Omega-6 fat, which has a vital role (http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/tripping.html) in the body, in modest amounts. Problems arise when one eats too much Omega-6 fats in total and in proportion to Omega-3 fats and saturated fats. I've seen reasonable scientific literature suggest that the proper ratio of Omega-6:Omega-3 fats is somewhere between 1:1 and 4:1. The SAD (Standard American Diet) has a ratio that's typically 20:1.

A second problem arises with the method used to raise the soybeans. Commercially grown soybeans have pesticides and herbicides sprayed on them, which run off into the water supply, which is inadequately treated to remove the residues.

A third problem arises in the processing of commercial oils. Rather than detail the horrors here, I'll refer you to the material on oil processing (http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/conola.html) at the Weston A. Price Foundation web site (scroll down to the section titled "PROCESSING"). Part of the processing may include partial hydrogenation. This creates a trans fat, which is deadly.

So, while soybean oil, per se, is not unhealthy, there are enough problems in its production that I avoid it as much as I can. Same for canola oil (even the organic stuff), but that's for another post.

mwallace29
Tue, May-06-03, 19:59
Thanks....It just seems like every salad dressing or mayo I look at has soybean oil.

Hmmm.....based on your info, I will have to pass on it as much as I can!!!

Thanks Again!

acohn
Tue, May-06-03, 23:49
I am learning to make my own dressings. So far, I've made a ranch and a simple olive oil and balsamic vinegar w/ herbs. Whole Foods has a line of canola-oil-based dressings, but I avoid that stuff, too. I can't find any literature damning *organic* coconut oil specifically, but suspecting that canola oil snuck into this country by bribing and pressuring the FDA makes me leery of the stuff.

I've never looked at Newman's own salad dressings, but I'll check them out.

mwallace29
Wed, May-07-03, 06:41
If you don't mind me asking, how do you make your ranch?

I really do not care for the oil/vinegar dressing and have a hard time with it.

So I have been trying to spend some time in the store finding a dressing that tastes good and is not full of a bunch of garbage! :D

To date, I have not been very successful....but I will keep trying.

Quinadal
Wed, May-07-03, 06:42
I use peanut or olive oils for everything. It depends on what I'm using it in.

acohn
Wed, May-07-03, 11:15
mwallace,

Making salad dressing is an art. The recipes below are simply guidelines. I've been told that my version tastes like a cross between traditional ranch and a mild bleu cheese dressing.

Acohn's version

1/2 cup Moe's Mayo
1/2 cup clabbered (soured) raw milk/buttermilk
1/2 cup full-fat sour cream
2 Tb. Italian seasonings blend
1 Tb. chives/scallions (1 white with part of the green), minced
1 Tb. red/yellow onion
1 Tb. dried parsley
1 clove garlic, finely minced
dash of coarse-ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients in a blender. Store covered in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors meld and mellow. Makes 48 Tb. Lasts about a week.

---------------------------------
Soured/Clabbered Milk

Quick-and-dirty version

1 cup *raw* milk
1 Tb. vinegar/lemon juice

Add the vinegar/lemon juice to the milk. Stir, and let sit for 15 minutes.

Lasts one week.

More elaborate version

This method accelerates the souring process.

Let the milk-vinegar/lemon juice mix sit for 15 minutes, then place container (not contents) in pan of warm water, and let sit for 20 minutes, or until water cools. Remove souring milk from water, re-heat water, and repeat process six times.

Lasts one week.

Note: Use 2 Tb. of old soured milk to start the next batch. Add 1 tsp. more vinegar, if needed.
-------------------------------------------
Moe's Mayo

Makes about 1.5 cups

1 egg yolk
1 cup olive oil (virgin, extra virgin, or regular)
1/2-1 t dry mustard
1 t sugar
1/4 t salt/salt substitute
2 T lemon juice or vinegar
Dash Cayenne red pepper

In small mixer bowl, beat egg yolk, mustard, Splenda, salt, pepper and 1 T of the lemon juice on medium speed until blended. Continue beating, adding oil drop by drop. As mixture thickens, increase rate of addition. Slowly stir in remaining lemon juice. Beat thoroughly. Chill overnight to let flavors meld.

Keeps 1 week in refrigerator.

Note: If you're using a blender, you'll need to use a whole egg instead of just the egg yolk. Place 1/4 cup oil, the whole egg and the remaining ingredients in blender. Mix on high speed for 5 seconds and turn off. Beat on high speed, adding remaining oil very slowly, in a thin stream. Turn off the blender occasionally and clean sides with a rubber scraper.