PDA

View Full Version : is having to pee a lot normal?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bookgurl99
Tue, May-06-03, 01:53
I'm not sure if it's related or just coincidental, but since starting my 'bein' WOE, I have been feeling REALLY THIRSTY and having to use the restroom a LOT. Is this normal? Or should I mention it to my dr. as a symptom of who knows what?

mom2jared
Tue, May-06-03, 06:51
Hi! Not that I'm trying to scare you but those sound like symptoms of Diabetes. Do you have a family history of Diabetes? When I was first diagnosed, I was always thirsty and peed a lot. I would go to the Doctor and have them draw some blood if it continues just to rule Diabetes out.

Hope this helps!

Ilana

MaryToU
Tue, May-06-03, 07:02
This way of eating is a natural diuretic, there for going to the bathroom a lot is normal. And I have alway noticed on me, the more water I drink the thirstier I get. Relax and just keep drinking your water!

KoKo
Tue, May-06-03, 07:28
Hi Bookgurl,

I've been thirsty too - making it easier to drink the water I detest so much :D but I've been thirsty because I haven't been drinking anything else except the occasionl cup of weak green tea instead of coffee in the morning. I haven't been peeing that much more than usual tho - but I retain fluid very easily so that's prolly just a temorary thing. I've only been on the plan a few days so its not much of a base to go no but that's what's happened so far.

:wave:

bookgurl99
Tue, May-06-03, 07:29
Ok, I guess I'll try to focus on the positive -- but at the same time, I'm gonna make an appt. to see my dr. !

books

mom2jared
Tue, May-06-03, 08:20
I didn't mean to scare you bookgurl. The other repliers may be more accurate than I am. You may also be dehydrated because of the diet you are on. I'm just telling you what happened to me. I have a family history of diabetes so it was inevitable that I got it too. If you don't have a family history, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I wouldn't go to the Doctor unless you have a family history of diabetes and are over 30 to take a glucose tollerane test. Also, if you know a diabetic, you can ask them to use their meter and test your blood sugar. I know how you feel about being a hypo. Ever since I got this bloody disease, I worry about everything. Its hard not too.

Don't go to the Doctor unless you are very concerned. I would wait a couple more days to see if the constant peeing stops.

bookgurl99
Tue, May-06-03, 12:18
mom2jared,

no, it was good to point it out. i _did_ vaguely know that they could be related, but there are a lot of people who don't know what their symptoms mean.

i have an appt. with my dr. for 2 weeks from now anyways.

Here's the deal, I'm 27 going on 28, and I _do_ have a family history of diabetes. (No one in my immediate family, but grandfather, aunt, cousin, etc.) My partner has been saying that I have really bad breath lately, even when I brush, and my mom says that my grandfather's breath smelled like that when he had high sugar counts.

So I _do_ worry. I think I've kind of been brushing the concern aside. I actually expect _not_ to be diabetic, because -- thinking back -- I had these symptoms 3 years ago before being diagnosed as hypo. So it may be a weird way my thyroid is saying "pay attention!"

Also, isn't it unusual to gain weight easily if you're an untreated diabetic?

But, I'll go to the dr. and find out.

If I do want to check my blood sugar on a friend's machine, do they include info on what's a normal range?

Sunski
Tue, May-06-03, 12:19
I agree with everyone else, but wanted to also remind you not to go too low on your carbs. Ketosis can make you pee a lot too.

mom2jared
Tue, May-06-03, 12:49
Glad I could be of help to you, bookgurl.

Anything above 140 is considered to be in the high range but it depends on when you test your blood. In the Doctor's office you have to be fasting, meaning that no food for 8 hours. Fasting should be no more than 100. At least that is what my Doctor tells me. Two hours after eating should be no more than 140 for women. I think for men it is higher. My blood sugar levels when I first got tested was in the 200 to 300 range which is considerably high. Now I have my levels down to 120 to 140 which is a little high but better than 200. It depends on what I eat which is why I am trying this low carb diet.

Its hard to say whether you have diabetes or not but since you have relatives that have diabetes, it may be a risk factor but usually a high risk factor is a parent or sibbling having diabetes like I do.

Good luck on your Doctor's appointment and keep me posted!

Piano
Tue, May-06-03, 13:03
Another possibility. Are you taking L-taurine. It is a diuretic if combined with some of the B vitamins.

Piano

bookgurl99
Tue, May-06-03, 13:33
Hmm. . *running to look at vitamins*

No, but I am taking selenium, chromium picolinate, and a B complex. They're all fairly recent additions. I take them in the morning an hour after the synthroid, with food.

Got any ideas?

I'm tempted to go out and buy my own little glucometer. They're cheaper than the dr's test.

books

bookgurl99
Tue, May-06-03, 16:18
Also, if you know a diabetic, you can ask them to use their meter and test your blood sugar.

Hey, that was a good idea. I went over to my friend's mom's and she helped me do a little test on her machine 2 hours after I ate. She had me prick my blood a couple times just to be sure. It was around 100 (like, 99 or 101) each time.

I feel like such a living hypochondriac! But I also saved a lot of money. tee hee.

I also notice that the peeing slowed down when I bought some pedialyte and drank it. Maybe in my efforts to 'be good,' I've been washin' some good stuff out of my body with H2O.

Thx for listening to my hypochondriacal worries. :D

books

mom2jared
Tue, May-06-03, 17:58
Glad to know I was wrong bookgurl. Sorry I made you go through all of that just to find out that they were normal.

bookgurl99
Tue, May-06-03, 21:13
no, mom2jared, it was fine.

i am _still_ really thirsty, now that it's later in the day. this is getting really annoying. i hope it goes away.

Piano
Wed, May-07-03, 18:17
I hope you kept your doctor appointment and (s)he checks things out fo you.

Piano

bookgurl99
Wed, May-07-03, 18:42
Originally posted by Piano
I hope you kept your doctor appointment and (s)he checks things out fo you.

Piano

Piano,

actually, i forgot about an appt i have coming up tomorrow. so i will bring up the thirst/urination thing to him.

hopefully, it is something that can be easily remedied.

i'll let you all know how that works out.

but i feel quite relieved to have done the little blood sugar thing yesterday.

books.

bookgurl99
Thu, May-08-03, 10:21
So far, so good. My new dr. had me do a blood sugar this morning and wait at the office for the results. About an hour after eating a largely sugary breakfast (dried fruit, very non-tsp), it was 120, which is fairly normal.

He also had me do a urine test, and a hemoglobin A1C. He wants me to call in tomorrow for those results.

He suggested that, based on symptoms, I _may_ have a 'mild' form of diabetes. That assertion does not really make sense to me. Perhaps he meant pre-diabetes? But I, of course, am going to take his suggestion that I should continue reducing refined carbs.

Lisa W.
Mon, May-19-03, 09:52
Bookgurl,

Bad breath can also be an indication that you are getting too much protein.

I've read that once you start drinking the recommended amount of water, that natural thirst returns to your body. I have found this to be true with me...the more water I drink, the more often I get thirsty. And of course, the more trips I make to the rest room. :D