PDA

View Full Version : New to site & low carb dieting: any help?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

KateB.
Sat, May-03-03, 17:03
Hey there, my name is Kate. I am here gathering info on the advise of my MD. Except for struggling not to over diet at times from brief and sporadic, yet severe, episodes of anorexia, -I really overall have been active, fit, and healthy most of my life until 2 and 1/2 years ago. That's when I was diagnosed with auto-immune disease that began as m.g., a form of muscular dystrophy that soon went on to damage my thyroid, causing hyperthyroid grave's disease. I now have reached a point the mg must be treated with daily high dose steroids. Very large weight gains usually occur from these. I'm sure my doctor is also thinking of that effect on me mentally, but physically this would be harmful as well. He advised I start a low carb-high protein diet as prevention. I must say I don't even know where to begin, as this is opposite of diets I'd always been put on to regain or to prevent losing.
Can anyone tell me any books, sites, or a safe diet plan to begin learning more? What is the average daily carbs most reputable plans advise, so I will know when to be leary of plans that are not safe? Is there any typical range for daily protein most recommend? I am confused too about fat mattering alot or not at all. Any ideas where to get simple menu plans to begin with or the best foods to limit carbs while getting additional protein and calcium I need? What about safe supplements or protien bars that I can ask my doctor about? Sorry so many question, I told you this was real new for me. :roll: Any help would be great, thanks, Kate

Talon
Sat, May-03-03, 20:57
Welcome! I am glad to hear that your doctor pointed you in the right direction for you: lower-carb! On the right hand side of this page, you will see an orange "Quick Link" bar, the first link under that is "Which low-carb plan is right for me?" Hopefully that will give you some insights.

Happy reading!