PDA

View Full Version : I.....I am new here, but anxious to begin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kaerbear
Thu, May-01-03, 14:04
HI, I am new to this forum. I have finally made the committment to do something about my lifestyle and I am hoping to find some allies to help support me.
I have been "trying out" the Atkins lc version and I know in order for it to truly be effective I will have to committ 100%. I think I am 99% there. :daze:

So, my biggest problem is that I have 5 hungry people at home that still love to indulge in potatoes, rice and oh gosh-bread.

I have been cooking with lots of fresh/frozen vegs. for years so that's not an issue. And I'm sure after I try the recipes I've seen for "mock" caulitatoes I'll probably have some converts.

Does anyone have any advice for incorporating this lc lifestyle for a whole family?

Thanks so much-I'm very excited about finding this :D

smilyus
Thu, May-01-03, 14:17
I tried the mashed cauliflower last night and it was great ( basically you just boil the cauliflower until soft, add butter, a little heavy cream, and some shredded cheese or onions/seasonings for taste and mash it all together by hand or in a processor). That may be another good thing to try instead of mashed potatoes for your family.

I also enjoy deli meat roll-ups (turkey slice with cream cheese). I found that non-LC people also enjoy those. Pork Rinds are another quick snack and you can crush them to use as breading for chicken or other meats.

Just look around at the receipe forums and you'll get tons of other ideas for meals and snacks that most of your family will enjoy. :D

RBalhan
Thu, May-01-03, 14:17
Hi Kaerbear: :wave:

Welcome to this Forum.

I only have my husband to cook for and while he is NOT on this WOE (way of eating) he is gradually coming over to it. Today in the grocery store I asked him if he wanted apples and he said "ok", wait how about some "Berries". I about fainted. Dr. Atkins would have been proud. Apparently he has been listening to me more than I thought.

My point is that since you are the "cook" in the family, I presume, start introducing things like the "mock caulitatoes", look at your labels for lower carb things. I even switched my husband to lower carb bread and he didn't mind. If you do all this gradually they might not even notice. I never tell my friends they are drinking "decaf" when they think it is real coffee. This could be fun for you.

Good luck and look around at everyone on this Forum and get ideas from them.

Rose :rose:

kaerbear
Thu, May-01-03, 14:43
Thanks Rose, I will try to incorporate things a little at a time.

I appreciate all your comments :thup:

Kari