PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Ideas

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

carpathia1
Thu, May-01-03, 08:07
Greetings! I'm on Day 4 of following TSP and wondered what you do for breakfast. I'm coming from doing 3 1/2 years of somersizing and am very used to pigging out on carbs for breakfast. I'm trying to stick to 15 g. of carbs for meals and 7 1/2 g of carbs for snack.

I like eggs, but am going to burn out on having them every day. Also they take time to cook and clean up after.

Any snack ideas would be greatly appreciated too.

I love being able to have peanut butter, popcorn and potatoes again and am excited to have found this board!

Carolyn

Rosemerry
Thu, May-01-03, 08:29
Welcome Carolyn! I think if you look through the forum, you'll find other posts about breakfasts. I know what you mean about getting sick of eggs! Luckily I work outside the home, so I usually make eggs only on the weekends so I look forward to them as a treat.

Here at work I keep a loaf of whole wheat bread at 11grams per slice and have it with either cream cheese and a few sliced strawberries on top, or sometimes I bring a hardboiled egg from home and smash it on top of the cream cheese and toast.

For snacks, I like string cheese, a few Triscuits and celery; half an apple w/natural peanut butter (my fave!), ricotta or cottage cheese w/carrot sticks, or an ounce of nuts. I really like pistachios because you get 47 of them!

I also like an apple with an ounce of cheese. I'll let you know if I come up with anything more interesting! Rose

Piano
Thu, May-01-03, 08:43
I love to eat cottage cheese and berries for breakfast. I also found some yogurt at the health food store that doesn't have sugar and so I have mixed yogurt and cottage cheese and then I drizzle cream over the top! It's delicious. Other ideas: a half a whole wheat bagel and cream cheese, peanut butter and ak maks.

For snacks Ak Mak and string cheese. Celery and peanut butter or almond butter. Soy nuts and carrots. And of course there is leftovers. If I ever feel like I didn't get full enough I add a handful of macadamia nuts.

Chasintrai
Thu, May-01-03, 11:02
Yogurt Smoothie!

If you have the SP cookbook, the basic receipe is in there. But here's the quickie version.

1/2 c yogurt (full-fat, live culture, plain)
1/2 banana or a handfull of berries or dates or...
2TBSP peanut butter
a couple ice cubes

You'll probably want to have an egg or some cheese or something protieny with it since it is kinda' high carb, but a nice treat some mornings.

DebPenny
Thu, May-01-03, 11:05
But I like it that way.. ;)

I have chorizo and eggs every morning. I have a good recipe for the chorizo, so I make my own in large batches and freeze it. That way it doesn't have all those other body parts in it that I just can't get into. ;)

I scramble 2 eggs with about 2 ounces of chorizo with about 1/4 cup of diced onions, and 1/2 cup of diced red bell pepper in about 4 teaspoons of butter. Nice and high protein and a fair amount of non-starchy veges. To round out the carbs, I cook up a 1/4 cup (dry measure) of oatmeal in the microwave with about 2 teaspoons of butter and top it off with a generous dollop of heavy cream.

I also make myself a decaffe latte with heavy cream or I have tea with cream in it.

Breakfast is my mainstay. If I don't have a substantial, high protein breakfast, I drag the whole day. I can skip any other meal and not feel it, but not breakfast.

This has been working for me for a long time now. And so far I haven't gotten tired of it. But when I do, I have a few ideas waiting in the wings like egss with spinach, onions, mushrooms, and hamburger. Yum!

;-Deb

Suni
Thu, May-01-03, 12:00
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=96

I got quite a few good recipes off the above thread for breakfast ideas - hope this helps.

Sunski
Thu, May-01-03, 20:39
I eat the same thing for breakfast almost every work day:

2 hardboiled eggs
1/3 cup (measured dry) oatmeal = 17 g. carbs
1 Tbs. butter on the oatmeal
fresh veggies

I thought I'd get sick of the eggs, but so far so good. I make at least a half-dozen at a time. If I'm tired of oatmeal, I'll have the butter and eggs on a slice of whole wheat toast.

KoKo
Fri, May-02-03, 07:11
Hi - I'm just new to the plan so haven't experimented much with brekkie yet usually 1 bran toast, eggs and tomatoes or mushrooms sauteed. You could use a high fibre bread and make a tomato sandwich - open faced - and add cheese for the protein or even melt the cheese on the bread (under broiler)for an open face toasty cheese.

rosarugosa
Fri, May-02-03, 09:04
:wave: Welcome Carolyn!

I somersized successfully for several years , but then discovered that the food combining wasn't necessary for me. In fact it stressed me out and seemed to add a burden to my budget at times. I would buy too much in order to have the low fat carbo meals *and * pro/fat,some items would go to waste. I do appreciate the recomendation in the books and Somersize web site to read Dr. Schwarzbein's books as it has helped me refine my own WOL. (I also am enjoying reading Dr. Atkin's latest book 'Atkin's for Life' --it seems to have balanced info and great advice about controlled carbs & maintaining)

As in my information to the left here my plan is " Whatever works" -which is basically following TSP. I do occasionally have a less than balanced meal and eat mainly pro/fat & vegetable because that is all I want at the time. I found that by allowing fruit without waiting hours in between (food combining) I could have fruit as a snack or dessert more often, thus having less of a desire for artificially sweetened desserts.

As to breakfast , that is the time I have the most trouble keeping a balance. I just cannot always work a vegetable into it. I do not find portion control a problem after TSPing for awhile because you do have such a balance that is so filling. I find I could easily (it is all that I desired) have only one egg,one piece of bacon , and 1/2 piece of regular carb toast with butter of course. When I want cereal, say oats, I find that 1/2 of the serving size along with one serving of protien is just fine also. When somersizing I had to have at least 2 eggs etc.,when having a carbo meal like oats (without fats) I would have to have the regular serving size at least (or more) and would be ravenous by the next meal. To me this has shown the wisdom of TSP as the personal best.

With TSP you always have the snack that is allowed if that is the choice. I like the ideas in the books. I like pumpkin seeds, cheese, and a few grape tomatoes or celery for a quick snack.

I hope all goes well for you and keep posting. I find this board at times isn't as active as some , but personally I think that is because the plan doesn't require as much hassle because one does not need to find recipes that leave items out . Just a focus on unprocessed, real foods.

I did not have a weight gain when I switched, in fact lost a few lbs. right away and then a few more-- still hoping to get to goal though!--some day

carpathia1
Fri, May-02-03, 12:58
Thanks so much to everyone for your great ideas and words of encouragement! I really feel great eating this way and have lost 2 lbs. this week. I feel I can stick with this.

Have a great weekend!

Carolyn

bookgurl99
Fri, May-02-03, 15:57
I only have eggs every other day, and when I do, I usually make them either in quiche or in an omelette with fried onions and some vegetables added. I feel great afterwords.

You can also have any other kind of protein. How about steak and eggs, or just steak? Or good sausage. MMM.

fitmom23
Sat, May-03-03, 19:41
I usually eat leftovers from the night before or 2 egss scrambled with sauteed onions, 1 oz of cheese and herbs (the herbs depend on the kind of cheese). At the very end, I throw in some sliced grape tomatoes. I also include 1/4 c steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon and butter or berries. I like to snack on raw almonds, pb with celery, tuna salad with celery and Ak Mak crackers, cheese and 1/2 apple, 1/2 grapefruit and no sugar cured ham slices, rommaine lettuce and oil&vinegar dressing with roast beef slices. There is no limit to the number of combinations you can come up with!

CaroleSP
Sun, May-04-03, 11:52
I'm not a Schwarzbein "purist", but this is what I have for breakfast:
Irish Steel Cut Oats (the slow cooking kind you have to soak), with whole milk and natural peanut butter mixed in. Yummy!!!

I also like to have decaf Chai tea with soymilk.

Carole
:)

AllysonneV
Mon, May-05-03, 13:28
i make extra pork or chicken and even chicken soup.
sometimes mascarpone and fruit, or i scramble ricotta (like you scramble eggs) and add herbs, or leftover broccoli cheese pie and veggie juice.

i make cereals in advance - steel cut oats or brown rice - and then i have a few days worth to reheat and eat with butter and cream and a piece of ham or something.

on special days, i make pancakes out of ricotta, almond flour, an egg, and nutmeg and have sliced fruit on them, or raisin bread made into french toast- batter made of egg and heavy cream, and then serve with warm cream cheese and fruit.

good luck - ally

m1whowaits
Mon, May-12-03, 13:29
A frittata is my favorite breakfast. 3 eggs (protein-3 oz), 1C leeks (15g carb), red swiss chard (try to use a big leaf and dice the stem), red bell peppers (makes 3 srv of veggies!) and cook in canola oil. I could eat it every day!!

Liz