PDA

View Full Version : Eating fat

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

bugs777
Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:07
I just started the Protein diet one wk. ago.......does it matter how much fat I eat? I used the FitDay and came out with 41 td for fat, is this to much?
What a great site for support! Love it!

Laura D
Wed, Apr-30-03, 18:28
Try and make sure it is the healthier fats, such as olive oil. If you are using margarine, switch to butter. The Drs Eads go into detail towards the back of the book about what the best fats are, but I am at work so I can't list them all out for you, I just remember olive oil and butter are good.

Do you have the Protien Power book? I highly recommend it. It is really inexpensive in paperback, and is a good reference for these kind of questions.

You can eat as much fat as you want, but you have to make sure you are getting enough protein too, and less than 30 grams of carb a day (to start). It really is a "whole plan" all the parts fit together.

acohn
Thu, May-01-03, 14:44
I'm pretty sure that the Eadeses say that in the beginning (first 30 days, maybe), don't get hung up on either the amount or proportion of fat you eat, as long as it's healthy fat: cod liver oil, coconut oil, butter and ghee (from organic, raw milk, preferably), nuts and seeds, olive oil, and the fat on meat.

10 weeks into PP, my diet is 65% of calories from fat. I say that not to encourage you to eat that much fat, but to demonstrate the range of fat intake that can be healthy, depending your metabolic type. I've read many posts where people eventually eat half their calories from fat.

bugs777
Mon, May-05-03, 22:09
Thanks everyone for your help. I've been ending up getting most of my fats from hard cheese and jerky for my snack while I'm on the job. I am a mail carrier and school bus driver. Are these kind of fats ok?

Karen
Tue, May-06-03, 00:14
I would ease up on the cheese. Take a look at the Protein Equivalency charts in Protein Power, based on your daily protein needs. Also make sure that your jerky is sugar free.

Have a solid breakfast and dinner and take around a few hardcooked eggs, the jerky, a very small amount of cheese and celery sticks or cucumber to munch on.

Karen