PDA

View Full Version : Ice cream, no churn required!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

want2bslim
Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:15
My boss has been LCing for awhile and was telling me about ice cream that she makes. It beats the Atkins recipe hands down and you don't need an ice cream maker for it. It may be a little high in the carb count, I have never figured it out exactly, but sometimes you just gotta have it! Here is the recipe, let me know how you like it.

500ml - whipping cream, half & half, or the 17% cream (it is a personal preference as to which one you use)

1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen raspberries (these are my fav, you pick your favorite)

1 tablespoon splenda (more or less depending on how sweet you like it)

Put a glass or metal bowl and metal spoon in the freezer for about 30 minutes. I also put my cream in the freezer for a bit just to get it really cold.

Put frozen berries in the bowl, pour cream over and sprinkle sweetener on top. Stir for a few minutes here and there until it is the consistancy you like. (I prefer mine like soft serve) It usually takes about 5 - 10 minutes of occasional stirring and now prepare yourself for what is like HEAVEN to me.

**35% whipping cream really works the best, it freezes faster than the others, but is obviously really high in the fat department and some people just can't tolerate it, the others work as well and taste as great. I usually use the 17%(maybe it's 18%). You also may have to stick it back into the freezer for a few minutes to help it set a bit. Not to long though or it becomes hard like a rock.**

Crimson
Fri, Apr-25-03, 16:50
sounds like heaven! I'll have to try it since my attempt at the other low-carb version was a flop (I kept it in the freezer and yup.. like a rock). I do have one question... what about storage? I wouldn't be able to eat the entire batch.. so do I keep it in the freezer (rock hard?).. or the fridge (liquidy?). hmm...

want2bslim
Sat, Apr-26-03, 01:12
I can't say that I have had that problem, it's not too hard to eat it all!!! But seriously, my husband is also low carbing so we both enjoy it. I have also made a smaller batch although the recipe I gave really doesn't make that much, just try cutting it in half. Hope you like it

whyspers
Sat, Apr-26-03, 06:46
As a variation on this, you can add a little vanilla, put it in a baggie and then put that baggie inside a large gallon size baggie and fill with ice. Add a few tablespoons of table salt and shake for 3-4 minutes and voila'...ice cream :) Got this from another board and have made it twice. It was delicious...the vanilla is definately better than the chocolate though.

L

Daethian
Sat, Apr-26-03, 08:42
I'm too lazy to make it :) I buy low carb ice cream at Wal Mart

whyspers
Sat, Apr-26-03, 18:25
I bought Le Carb at Walmart today as I happened to see it and just had to try it. I got vanilla for me and the chocolate almond for hubby. We'll see though...that chocolate almost sounds yummy!!!!

L

jeanyyy
Sun, Apr-27-03, 02:04
Originally posted by want2bslim
Put frozen berries in the bowl, pour cream over and sprinkle sweetener on top. Stir for a few minutes here and there until it is the consistancy you like. (I prefer mine like soft serve) It usually takes about 5 - 10 minutes of occasional stirring and now prepare yourself for what is like HEAVEN to me.

So.. when you are giving this the occasional stir, it's sitting on your kitchen counter, not still in the freezer, right?

Chloë Mae
Mon, Apr-28-03, 22:01
I heard that Atkins was coming out with their own ice cream.

Has anyone seen or heard about it?

want2bslim
Sun, May-04-03, 21:39
Sorry, I haven't been on in a while. It's nice to hear that the U.S. has a low carb ice cream, us Canadians aren't so lucky yet!

To answer the question about when you are stirring the ice cream. You just leave it on the counter and stir it every couple of minutes until it is the consistancy you want. If it does not "freeze up" then stick it in the freezer for a few minutes and stir it again.