Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have bursitis that gives me problems just carrying my purse and textbook around. Will the weights help or hurt it?

I would like to strengthen my arms and get full benefit but doing the wrong thing-stretch back and up just hurts way to much.

All I can do for crunches are Zen crunches. I lay on my back and think about raising up. I do that til my back hurts(soon) and quit.
I am really behind the curve here. The gym forum is prob not the place to whine......... but whine.........Im 53/f and on a mission to be able to volkswalk again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 05:48
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

where do you have bursitis? how does it affect your day to day living?

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 17:47

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Its my right shoulder and arm that are giving me the most trouble.
I could lift a 5lb weight with that arm but to use a bench and brace myself while working my left arm-no way

Ive pretty much figured bfl is not for me. I see lots of heavier folks doing waaaaaaaaaay more then I could handle-Ive just got to figure out where to start-building blocks /foundation kind of thing.

Im climbing 2 flights of stairs at work-my only weight lifting and a 20 min walk. I need to shop for a used treadmill.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 08:40

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 186/171/140
BF:???/33.55%/18%
Progress: 33%

I have bursitis in both my shoulders, and last winter, could barely take my shirt off without severe pain. Today I am 100% better from using free weights, grant it some mornings I am still stiff, but I have my range of motion back. I started out with 1 1/2 lb, 3 lb and 5 lb weights with slow concentrated reps until I built up my stregnth and started BFL with 5,8,10,15 lb weights for my pyramids. I can lift more using the barbell, but find that it doesn't build my stregnth in my shoulders like the free weights have. I am up to heavier poundage and am feeling great. Compared to 6 months ago, I couldn't lift my arms over my head and now I "feel" like hercules...*grin*

Try starting out with the light weights. The best remedy for bursitis is working the joints and making them stronger.

Good Luck!

Jaymie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 08:55

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Bev,

I have arthritis and bursitis in my shoulder too. (also my neck and back ) but I am hoping that the exercise will help. I think you have to listen to your body. Do what you can but not to the point of pain. Also, make sure to chose exercises that don't aggravate your problem.

Also, a friend just told me about Jointritis. Have you tried it? It's a salve that really help with joint pain. I've only used it for 2 days now and my shoulder feels better.

Good luck!
Amy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 06:53

Plan: Protein Power/BFL
Stats: 186/171/140
BF:???/33.55%/18%
Progress: 33%

Jointritis is great!!! I've been using it about 6 months and it's really the best topical that I've found to ease my shoulder pain a little!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:26

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%
Unhappy

Anybody have hip bursitis? I also have inflammation on the trocanter area that pulls on my hip flexors and gives me grief. I take glucosamine and chondroitin-is that what Jointflex is?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 13:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I feel your pain

I have hip bursitis as well - it really affects my mobility! Putting a sock on my left foot is very difficult and painful.

I'm up for any suggestions....
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 23:17

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default itis

Just posted this in another thread:
Not exactly what you're looking for, but have you ever tried or considered trying Glucosamine/MSM? Relief could be as quick as 3 days!!! I am currently using the NOW brand http://www.nowfoods.com/index.php?a...il&item_id=3156 and have also had great sucess with Source Naturals http://www.sourcenaturals.com/main/...E6689A3DEEE7801

"itis" = inflamation ( MSM has anti-inflamatory properties )
Both brands are highly reputable, although there are MANY brands to chose from. You should be able to find at a good heath food store.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:40

BF:
Default Thanks for the info

I will definitely check it out. I had been taking Mobicoxin which was working great but a bit tough on the tummy....a break from that will be nice. Of course I will chat with my doctor about it. He is really good and quite okay with "alternative" things.

I'll give it a shot!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-05-03, 09:50

BF:
Default Found it!

Went out and bought some Glucosamine/MSM going to give it a go - thanks for the tip!

Will it help my golf swing??
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 23:39

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Found it!

Quote:
Originally posted by tlmarshall
Went out and bought some Glucosamine/MSM going to give it a go - thanks for the tip!

Will it help my golf swing??

Please post your results. I am anxious to hear what you have to say (re: the product, not the golf swing ~ sorry, can't help ya out there ) BTW, what brand did you choose?