Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/150.5/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Cool Beef Enchilada Casserole- Yum!

Hi all,

Thought I'd share this. It was yummy. I took a regular recipe off of an old recipe-card subscription I have, and made it low carb. It totally cured my craving for Mexican food. (ECC listed next to ea. ingredient.)

Enjoy! And let me know if you try it!

Beef Enchilada Casserole
1 pound ground beef
1 recipe taco seasoning (see below-- it is a lot less carbs than envelopes at store) (8 EEC)
3 low carb tortillas (I used La Tortilla, plain) (9 ECC)
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack/Cheddar Cheese combo (12 ECC)
1 can (10 oz.) Enchilada Sauce (lowest carb you can find- I used Old El Paso- mild-red) (13.5 ECC)

Preheat oven to 350F. Cook beef in skillet until cooked throughout and crumbly. Remove from heat. Drain and discard liquid. Add taco seasoning to meat. Mix Well

Spray a 2 qt. square (or 8" round) baking disk with Pam or similar. Arrange 1 1/2 of the tortillas on bottom. You'll have to cut them and get creative with shapes to mostly cover the bottom. But 1 1/2 should do it. If not, increase carb content accordingly if you add tortilla(s).

Spread beef on top of tortillas. Layer 2 cups of cheese on top of beef. Arrange the rest of the tortillas as before, on top of cheese. Pour enchilada sauce on top.

Bake, uncovered, until tortillas are soft and juices bubble (about 25-35 minutes).

Remove from oven and turn off. Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top. Return to hot oven just until cheese melts (5 minutes or so).

Allow to cool a bit. Serve with dollop of sour cream and shredded lettuce if desired.

Total carbs: 42.5. Makes 4 large or 6 medium servings (7 to 10 ECC each- not including sour cream or lettuce).

Homemade Taco Seasoning (tastes a lot like Lawry's- uses same ingredients)

4 1/2 t. paprika (3.15 ECC)
1 t. cumin (.7 ECC)
1/2 t. oregano (.15 ECC)
1 t. chili powder (.5 ECC)
1 t. onion powder (1.6 ECC)
1 t. salt
1 t. Splenda (.5 ECC)
1/2 t. garlic powder (.9 ECC)
1 t. Atkins Bake Mix (.25 ECC)
1/2 t. cocoa powder- baking type (.33 ECC)
Total Recipe:8.08 ECC

Jill in Phoenix, AZ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 09:46

BF:

I made this with green enchilada sauce (same brand, same carbs) this past weekend-- to see how it would taste compared to the red. It was awesome!

Has anyone tried it yet?

Jill in Phoenix
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 10:40

Stats: 165/160/120
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Question for Jill/Jiskiyan

Hi Jill, I made your enchilada casserole. It was awesome. I happened to have found a recipe for Taco Shrimp salad. I tried it a couple of days ago, using your taco seasoning. It was so good!
I just wanted make sure it was ok If i posted you recipe along with mine. Please let me know.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-15-03, 07:33

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

This sounds so yummy. I am going to try it this weekend. Thanks for the taco seasoning recepie.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 16:31

BF:

Hi Rachel,

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.... I haven't looked on this board in about a week, so I just saw your post. (Been working on a pie recipe on the Sweet Treats board-- check it out if you like cream pies.)

Of course, you can post my recipe with yours. No problem.

Glad to hear you liked the Beef Enchilada Casserole. I've tried it with both green and red enchilada sauce and even though I made it first with the red, I think I like it with the green better. But the red is good too. They both taste so different; it's like two recipes in one.

Really, I can't take credit for this recipe. I simply took it off a non-LC recipe carb subscription I have and made it LC. And I found the taco seasoning recipe somewhere online. Can't remember if it was already LC or not-- I probably just swapped out the sugar for Splenda. But I'm just thrilled it tastes as good as the packaged stuff from the stores with a lot less carbs. Yipee!

Well, I've rambled as usual! Glad you enjoyed it. I look forward to seeing your Taco salad recipe to maybe give it a try. I found some really good LC tortilla chips in Hi Health (a healthfood chain that carries lots of LC products). Maybe I'll try out your salad, once you post it, with those chips.

Take care.

Jill in Phoenix
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:56

BF:

Hi CoolAZChic,

Did you try it this weekend? What did ya' think? Green or red sauce? I think I like the green sauce better even though I started off with red.

Bye for now.

Jill
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 15:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/185/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Smile

I made this last week-end and this was fabulous, I used the red enchilada sauce, my husband and daughter both enjoyed. I added some jalepino (sp?) to the top before baking, whoa it was hot, but good.

JoAnn
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 16:12

BF:

Hi JoAnn,

Glad you liked it. The jalepenos are an interesting addition. I'm a big whimp when it comes to hot/spicy food, though, so I'll probably not try it. But I bet others who like the hot stuff will love the suggestion.

Take care and thanks for sharing your feedback.

Jill in (very hot now!) Phoenix, AZ
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 23:47

Plan: Atkins.. somewhat
Stats: 286/268/160 Female 5'5"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 14%

yummmmm! I made this the other night and it was awesome... my daughter who is also lo-carbing told me i need to fix this everynight! lol. I cheated tho.. i used a packaged taco seasoning mix..was about 2 carbs, but i didnt have the bakemix to use.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 08:51

BF:

Hi there.

What taco seasoning mix did you use that is only 2 carbs for the whole packet? The stuff I have is loaded with carbs due to the flour and sugar they add. I have a packet of Lawry's on the shelf and it is 3g per 2t serving, with 6 servings per packet= 18 carbs for the packet and you would use the whole packet to make the casserole or a batch of tacos, for instance.

If you found one that is only 2 carbs I'd love to know what brand, because maybe they'll carry it in a Phoenix store. Making up the seasoning mix adds more time to the process for sure!

Please let me know.

Jill in Phoenix

P.S. Glad you liked it! I make it at least once a week for us!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 08:53

BF:

P.S.S. If you don't have the LC bake mix you could probably substitute with any LC thickener such as the ThicknThin/Not Starch stuff. Perhaps, a LC thickener isn't really necessary unless you were using the seasoning recipe to make chili or something... then you'd need it because of the thickening power.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 13:46

BF:

Another P.S.S.

*The seasoning recipe works great with tacos and other Mexican style dishes that require a seasoning pack.

*If you buy the larger size of the LC tortillas, you don't have to get fancy on the cutting. You can simply use one on the bottom and one on the top.

Enjoy.
Jill