Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 22:53

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Heh, sugar alcohols are neither sugar NOR alcohol... some rampart bastardization of sugar, I believe. I'm surprised you don't know about them! They come in the form of words like maltitol, sorbitol, lactitol and appear in low carb specialty items, especially chocolate.

Watch out for them... they can cause NASTY side effects. Let's just say, a lot of us stay close to the restroom. If you don't have a hankering for chocolate, it's better just to stay away. Here's a good FAQ on them: Truth about low-carb sweeteners

Some say sweeteners slow down losses, but I think a bit slower for a packet or two of Splenda (or your preference, Sugar Twin) doesn't do much harm. Some people are sensitive though, so it's a "your mileage may vary" thing. I've always eaten a bit of Splenda without noticing anything bad from it.

Cheers!

Oh and P.S. 20 pounds in 2 months doesn't sound like a slow loser to me!!! Congrats, keep it up!

Last edited by Skamito : Thu, Apr-17-03 at 22:54.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 07:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/193/? Male 6'
BF:15/10/...
Progress: 106%

thanks skamito....

"I'm surprised you don't know about them! They come in the form of words like maltitol, sorbitol, lactitol and appear in low carb specialty items, especially chocolate. "

i was aware of them....forgot about the reference of sugar alchohols....thanks for the info. and i hear ya bout wanting to stay close to the 'facilities'

and thx for the encouragine note....the 20lbs tho has been since january...4 months; but whose complaining?

foth
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

EVILLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

I had some Thorntons diabetic chocolate and toffee today and I've been keeping the facilities company all evening! What did we do to deserve such punishment?? Man I am not touching that stuff for a long time now! I'm also throwing out the sweetener rather than keeping it on a high shelf as it's getting dangerous now.

The sweeteners in the sweets were isomalt and malitol. PURE EVIL!!!!!!!!!!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 23:47

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

save me!!! i have fallen victim to pure delites again!!! i stayed away a whole week! but TOM is approaching and i found out today the effects of eating 2 bars LOL potty run here i come ... lol.. these things are evil!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 23:24

Plan: low carb
Stats: 148/141/135 Female 5'6"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%
Default Okay COUNT ME IN

I am not doing too swell on the Lets Get Fit Together challenge but I am game for another challenge

This ONE sounds like a REAL challenge to me (NOT to say the other isnt... its kickin my butt thats for sure!). I LOVE sweets. I had thought that as long as it was 'sugar free', it was alright. Or as long as the 'carb count' (or ECC) was low, it was alright. BUT I have discovered what ya'll seem to know already. That those sugar alcohols are holding me back. SO, I am here to take the challenge to kick the sweetner. I am including Splenda in this because I consume way more than I should. I have just a little bit left in the box that I am going to use in my coffee (decaf, but still coffee, I know ) tonight, then I am going cold turkey tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

Blossom
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 23:28

BF:

ok ok you guys have tried to tell me all along that these AS will start a binge but did i listen????????????? noooooooooooooooooooooo... i have been totally binging all day long .. due to the fact i ate 2 pure delites lastnight and have been hungry ever since!!! i think its time for my TOM also oh what fun
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 23:56

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Good luck Blossom! I'm with you on not doing well in ANY challenge. My life is enough of a challenge juggling work and school, so the exercise and discipline have been falling to the wayside. I don't know why but I bought SF Reese's for myself for Easter. They just wreck my insides, I don't know why I'm doing this to myself. I really think stress makes me want to do bad things for my body. Comfort food, ya know? And most LC food that I find comforting involves effortful cooking, so I end up eating easy junk. Ick.

Okay, just whining. I know I'm gonna finish those Reese's but after that I need to get SERIOUS! <--- determined smiley!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 00:12

BF:

Great new Avatar there skam... you're doing sooo well.. yea i know that feeling with the comfort food thing.... seems like i keep falling off the "wagon " when im stressed out also!

Last edited by luddybell : Mon, Apr-21-03 at 00:18.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 01:14

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Only have internet at work and I was off sick, so I haven't visited in awhile.

I was doing great until......drumroll please.....

I found sugar-free double chocolate ice cream!!!! I haven't seen it anywhere (and believe you me, I looked ) in Canada and found it in the grocery store practically right next door. I looked at all the big chain stores but didn't even think to look at this little store. Made locally, too. Anyway, I ate a serving (yes, a serving not the whole thing ) and it was almost funny the noises my tummy was making (and lower regions ). Let's just say I'm glad my hubby was working night shift...

So, don't know what to do with it--definitely don't want the kids to eat it. Maybe give it to my evil neighbour--boohahahaha (evil laugh), or the other neighbour's yappy jack russell???

N.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 21:52

Question So how is everyone

I did soo well today UNTIL.... I was on my last break and I totally spaced 'no sweetner' and drank Crystal Light. I am not sure, but I think that it had sucralose and some strange name I cant spell. But still that was a sweetner to me ....

I did well all day until then... sigh... there is always tomorrow

Til next time,
Blossom
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 00:23

Default Went well today

Had a little sweetner, cause I couldnt handle the withdrawals <<Seriously!>> Had such a Headache! And felt icky. It may have something to do with the fact that I didnt have any coffee... well, I am trying to rid myself of that too...so I guess I am in for more withdrawals until my body gets used to it.
Until next time,
Blossom
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 06:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/193/? Male 6'
BF:15/10/...
Progress: 106%

blossom...if you are going cold turkey on the coffee, it's probably the cause of your headaches...i wanted to reduce my caffeine intake as well, so i've been blending decaff coffee with my regular...so now when i measure out my daily dose of coffee, i'm only getting half the previous amount of caffeine. and i havent had any sympoms at all. but im still using the same amout of sweetener. in my case its called sugar twin. im only using 2 packets a day...

foth
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 14:02

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Well, you guys are stronger than me...

I mean, giving up sweets & caffeine at the same time?!

I still have flashbacks from the way I felt during the first few days of Induction when I went cold turkey on Diet Pepsi, sugar & caffeine...

Done well on the no sweeteners lately-- too broke to buy anything made by Pure Delite & DH used a cup of Splenda to make Koolaid for the kids.

Did have a double serving of mock danish yesterday with the little Splenda that was left.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 22:47

Foth,

Quote:
i've been blending decaff coffee with my regular...so now when i measure out my daily dose of coffee, i'm only getting half the previous amount of caffeine.

I tried that one morning, but my mom was wise to me... she said my coffee tasted strange.

I havent quit the coffee completely. After that monsterous headache, I had to drink a cup. Since then, I drink no more than one cup in the morning. Some mornings I can even get away with only half a cup.

As for the sweetener... I think I have to start over. Just one thing with sweetener in it causes a chain reaction. So tomorrow is back to day one of this challenge for me.

Hope everyone else is doing good,
Until next time,
Blossom
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 10:52

Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default How tough is this proving??

...especially for someone who was born craving a Flake???

It is proving to be really difficult - especially with sweeteners like isomalt and malitol hiding in just about everything - I fell prey to the Thorntons diabetic range again today - I wish I'd never found that stuff. I didn't really, we were bought some chocolate brazil nuts at Xmas and it went from there.
I have a headache and a grumbly tummy now And I only have myself to blame! Woe!!!
Still not having caffeine and not taking sweeteners in hot drinks Yay me!!!