Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 02:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Kick The Sweetener!!

Hiya

Does anyone want to stop the sweetener? Find it has an effect on you, whether stomach-wise of weight/inch-loss wise?

I find it always has an effect on me - mostly in the form of a 3lb fluctuation, and I have a terrible sweet tooth, so I'm kicking it out! It's hidden away in a very high shelf (Along with the caffeinated tea and coffee) so I can't see it.

Anyone who would like to join me would be gladly welcomed

x x x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 03:01

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Joining you here from Tricia's original post ('blatla'). Tricia and I will join you (speaking for her, hope that's okay ).

I ate my second-to-last cup tonight and eating very last one a bit later tonight (working night shift).

One caveat--my protein shake has Splenda in it, so I will be having that, but NO more anywhere else!!

Nicole
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 01:22

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

You need to advertise! I am in total support of this thread and hope you do well. I really need to lay off it as well. I was just on vacation and ate FOUR Atkins bars in five days. Ugh. Not to mention sugar free Reese's and Turtles and Splenda in coffee. I feel a little like death.

I'm joinin ya... but one day at a time! Tomorrow... no sweets! I can do it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 01:30

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:

Glad to have you Skamito!!

Yeah, this is a super-bad habit and hard to kick. I don't think it matters that it's sugar-free--it's still a sweet treat that shouldn't have such a high place in our daily diet. It's just a substitute for the bad full-of-sugar diet/habit I had before!! Don't know about you, but that was a major factor with changing my WOL--eat healthier!

I'm doing okay at this. I did, however, have ONE sf pb cup on Saturday--it was calling to me and I didn't ignore it. BAD--but, they're all gone now (gave them to hubby and a girlfriend to get rid of them!) and back to only protein shake with Splenda.

Good luck to y'all!

Nicole
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 02:12

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

ok time for me to join so i can kick my bad habit too.... the pure delites have got to go .. (except for in dire need like TOM)... i have eaten 5 this week!!! UGH!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 10:36

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I'll join you too! My TOM just started so I should be good for a couple of weeks.

My biggest problem is the asapartame, specifically DIET PEPSI. I did so well during Induction (only had 1 Diet Rite for 2 weeks even though I had it in the house for DH). Had major headaches & yukkies first couple of days & knew it was from the sweetener.

Then this weekend, Diet Pepsi was on sale for $4 a case & I thought I would be OK.....

NOT!!

Drank 4 or 5 of them over the weekend & the headache's back today!

NO MORE!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 14:36

Okay, I'm doing pretty well on the sweets so far. I hear ya, HateToCook, I forget how aspartame affects me sometimes and then remember after I've had a few too many Diet Cokes. Ick. I can't believe I used to drink those every day.

I don't really have a problem with a little Splenda, but I'm cutting off the sugar alcohols at the SOURCE today. I mean... I will keep them in my freezer for emergencies and all.

Today so far the only sweet I had was a little sucralose in my protein powder and da vinci syrup. No dessert tonight!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 00:21

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:

Okay, I'm with you guys! I ate way too much chocolate last week, and the scale told the whole story! I'm okya with DaVinci syrups and splenda, but not the sugar alcohols! I have to count the whole amount, not the ECC. Yesterday was my first day in a week without. Narrowly avoided an Atkin's bar today.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:05

Stats: 232/205/147 Female 73"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sugar alcohols make me so sick, and there's an easter egg laced with them with my name on it over there on the bookcase! DOH! A little at a time doesn't hurt me but who eats a little chocolate? Not me!
I haven't managed to cut it out of my diet altogether as some stuff has it in already, but like the caffeine, I'm having way less than i used to, I don't even take it in coffee anymore!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:33

Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:

I know, it's a hard one to break. I had some last week and I ended up munching on the stuff all week long. It's like, once I have one, I was a gonner. Pretty soon I had 5 pieces! (and oh, the cramping from it is bad!) I had to wean myself off of it. The last two days were tough, I didn't have any. Today is a little easier.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:35

Oh man, I forgot about Easter! My big downfall recently was that I went home for a visit and my mother made me a little Easter basket with peanuts, SF Reese's cups, and SF turtles. Oh man. Plus I eat them emotionally, which is bad... only to remember that my tummy will get upset.

Today's day 3 no sugar alcohols!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 14:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/193/? Male 6'
BF:15/10/...
Progress: 106%

....so how much effect do y'all think sweetner effects weight loss?? i use 2 packets of sugar twin (which is a non aspartame sweetner) for my half decaffinated coffee every mornng. i dont consume a whole lot of aspartame sweetened things...but maybe my definition of a lot is different. how much are we talking about here? id like to purge as much as possible, but maybe my intake isnt that high comparatively

foth
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:00

Stats: 266/251.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Unhappy I hope you guys have done better than me!

I've probably eaten more sweeteners the last couple of days than I have in the last month.

I don't know what's gotten into me. Could it still be leftover cravings from the Diet Pepsi's last weekend?

I have 1 bar & 1 peanut butter cup left in the house. I'm debating whether to just eat them & get it over with or save them for Easter. Unlike rebsee, I can't just put them on a high shelf,

Cuz, there ain't no shelf high enough,
Ain't no cupboard low enough,
Ain't no kitchen wide enough,
To keep me away from them.....

Oh man, it's really time to go to bed!

PS: The good news is that one of my kids found & downed my SF wafers!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 21:23

Foth, I haven't read anything discouraging sugar twin. I think most of us here are aiming to cut down on sweets but with focus on aspartame and EVIL sugar alcohols. I still enjoy some splenda as it doesn't bother me, I don't think.

Man, I'm thinking about my Russel Stover's PB cups right now... mmm... AHHH! I hate that junk.

I should really just brush my teeth!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 22:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/193/? Male 6'
BF:15/10/...
Progress: 106%

skamito....tune me in on sugar alchohols! what are they? new one to me...i dont consume any sugar (knowingly) but alchohol...thats a different story probly why im such a slow loser.

actually, i was a real choc-o-holic before LC ing, but now its easy to resist.

what say you?

foth