Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 18:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Just wanted to share some good news. My Mom, who turns 82 next month, started Atkins June 14 and weighed herself this morning for the first time--10 pounds gone in 9 days!

judy
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 19:29

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Does this prove we are never too old to lose!!!!

Tell your Mom congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She is doing much better than I did.
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 20:22

BF:

Damn straight! IMHO, there's no "easy" age to lose weight. When I think of all the times in my 20's and 30's when I starved while eating food I hate, only to gain everything back....was that supposed to be an "easy" age to lose weight? Could'a fooled me!

In comparison, low carb is a breeze. Sure, the weight loss is slow, but who cares? The food is great and I know I can do this forever.

Thanks for the congrats, Scottjan,,,,I'll pass the word along to my Mom. She doesn't have a computer, so she's missing the forum support. She's already convinced one neighbour to try low carb.

judy

Last edited by jude : Thu, Jun-26-03 at 20:24.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 21:12

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi Jude,

I was so busy thinking about your mom that I overlooked the fact that you have been very, very successful with lcing. Many congratulations to you too.

Some day I hope to add to my success, but for now I have slowed to a crawl and then a standstill.
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 18:34

BF:

Thanks, Scottjan!

These days I know exactly what you mean about "slow". I lost 40 lbs in the first 5 months, but only 13 in the last 6 months. Can't seem to get my carbs above 30 w/o gaining and now that my weight is down, I also have to watch the calories--it's pretty easy to go over 10x with the kind of food I've come to enjoy (like butter and whipping cream) on this woe.

Congratulations on your loss so far! You're doing great! Don't worry about slowing down. It happens to everyone. I think "stalling" is the most popular subject on this forum.

I think the worst thing is not knowing why we've stalled. It's simple (if not easy) to fix something if you know why it's "broke". For me, I know its a combination of not keeping track of the food and a major procrastination with exercise.

judy
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 07:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi Jude!

I thought Cals were not important on LO-Carb , so perhaps that is one of the reasons I am in a major stall... five weeks ....nothing.... a gain if anything. anyway, how many cals should one be eating? I am in the process of comming off HRT so am hoping that will help. Are you checking Ketones? I find it really difficult to stay in the "pink" even though I am still not eating more than 20 carbs a day ( I have a carb counter, so Im micro-managing)
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 08:50

BF:

Hi Chris,

You're right, we don't usually worry about calories, but if they do become an issue, it's usually because we aren't eating enough. There's no hard and fast rule, but generally you should be eating 10 to 12 times your current weight. There's a thread in the Newbies section under "Hot Links" about this.

Are you recording at Fitday? When I first started low carbing, I was surprised to discover that I was only eating 900 calories a day once I got rid of all the high carb food.

I'm no expert, but another possibility in your case is that you don't have much to lose. It seems the fewer pounds you need to lose, the slower the rate of loss.

I've never bothered worrying about ketones--the scales are enough of an obsession for me!

Hang in there!

judy
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 10:51

BF:

jude
looking back, I may have been bit low on cals..I think! somewhere in the range of 1000 -1700 a couple of days lower. I weigh 155 and should be at 140, so I do have 15 to lose, however not so concerned if it takes a while, just dont want to gain. I thought if you cut cals, weight came off, how come its different when LC-ing
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 11:40

BF:

Hi Chris,

Don't quote me on the science, but basically we need a certain number of calories to avoid going into starvation mode--that's when your body hangs on to the weight. Here's a link to an earlier thread in "Hot Links" that explains it better.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...2541#post302541

I just know that time after time here, I've seen posts from people who increase their calories and start losing again. I suspect you're feeling the same way I did in the beginning, but that's the old brainwashing. Honest! Eating fat is a good thing.

judy
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 11:55

BF:

Hi Chris,

Here's a link where you can calculate your BMR.

http://www.healthyontario.com/engli...d=4&text_id=240

Judy
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 12:17

BF:

Thanks Judy

I am going to up those pesky cals to 1600 and see what happens
this woe is a deal better than WW etc etc etc

Appreciate yore support
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 19:36

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/soy4303html.htm

Many of us were seduced by the claims that soy is the all-powerful solution to hormone shifts. And we had a lot of it. Soy powder in shakes, soy lattes, soymilk as an alternative to dairy, soy cheese, edame at the sushi store, tofu quick and easy. We started getting a little tubbier; we felt that our metabolism wasn't quite right. We had tests and nothing showed but we knew something was operating. From what I have read, overuse of soy can certainly contribute to many of these subtle concerns we have had.

I read a lot more on this site

Pene
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 20:03

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking YooHoo! That would be me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeel
I'm not sure where to post this; please move it, moderator, if there is a more appropriate place.

I am almost 60 years old, and it is so much slower to lose weight on this WOE than it was when I first tried it in 1973. There are probably a variety of reasons (retired now and much more sendentary, the "diet" has evolved into something which allows a good many more vegetables, etc) but some of it MUST have to do with the fact that my metabolism has changed a lot in the past 30 years.

So I would l especially like to hear from folks who are closer to my age (as well as ANYONE on these boards). I will settle for anyone who has a Country Joe and The Fish album somewhere in their closet. Heck, I will settle for anyone who even knows who
Country Joe is!

Kay

<font color="brown"><B>Well, I'm not sure who "Country Joe" is, but "I was country, when country wasn't cool" if that counts.

Also, I am going on 60 and, YES, it is much harder to lose weight as this age! I used to have to eat like a truck driver to maintain my weight, now I have to eat like a sparrow to keep from LOOKING like a truck driver! (No offense to truck drivers!)

Moderation, Exercise, Moderation, Exercise, Moderation, Exercise.....that is my mantra! Atkins is the first WOE that has allowed me to lose weight so I'm pretty excited about it. Now if my recent boo boo would heal so I could get back to exercising, I'd be a happy camper!

Oh, I guess I got off course. Yes, there is someone else on here almost 60! Howdy!!

Morgan
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 06:03
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Welcome, Morgan---Nice to hear from you. After reading your post in the comments about the new board format, I sent you a private message. I'm hoping you know how to open one of those! At any rate, you sound like you're about in the same place as I am in navigating around in here. I'm no more lost with the new features than I was with the old ones....but I really like some of the things they have added. For example, I can now use the quote feature properly (though may forget how by tomorrow) and I can now use the smilies. And do you see this purple?

It looks as though you have been more successful "navigating" your weight loss....very nice stats indeed. Boy, there are a lot of folks from Seattle in this forum. Some of my favorite members are Seattlites (if that is the term).

Wishing you continued success to your goal,
Kay

#105   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 12:59

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%
Talking

Guess I'm the really old one in here. I am 71. I've been on Atkins since the day after Easter this year, so far I've lost about 9-10 lbs, it varys on days. Very slow going for me. I am VERY active, walk dog twice a day, do all our yard work, mowing etc. go to a health club and lift weights and use machines, have been swimming every day since it has gotten hot also, also use a Tony Little walking machine. Very very hard for me to lost any weight, have battled with it all my life, At one time after I had my second son, I weighted 201 lbs. that was the heaviest I've ever been though. My weight for the past 20 or more years stays about 145. I'd like to be 129! Would be ideal for me, hope someday I;ll make it.