Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:33
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Pene: That was really interesting....never heard most of that before. And I've been post menopausal for almost 20 years. Can't say that I found it "cheery", but it was interesting. Thanks for posting it. And welcome to this thread.

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 16:00

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hello Pene,
I am glad you joined us don't worry about your spelling I have been trying for years to get it right.
Pat S
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 07:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm 53 now-went through menopause 4 or 5 years back. Weight gain all went to my belly. Not that I was thin before but carried extra in my hips/bust. Hourglass figure but not a pretty one.
This weight makes me short of breath and not able to move well its got to go.

I have hot flashes after any food intake do these go on forever?

HRT not an option-about the time I think I want them they come out with all this bad news,

Weight loss stalled since February.Low carb may not be for me
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 18:57

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi All, well I'm heading around the corner to 61 and it sure is harder to lose. Although I did great on Induction(13 lbs, 2wks) I have slowed down to about 1 lb a week. I know I'm not as active as I use to be, the old joints creak and moan and let me know when they've had enough. So even though it's slow it's relatively easy, and being retired I have more time to cook and prepare the right food. I love it, wish I would have started 15 yrs ago.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-03, 19:21
Give chance a chance

Hi: Just checking in. I guess it depends upon how much one enjoys eating low carb stuff. My weight loss is really, really slow, but it continues, eventually, and I don't feel like I am missing anything. I have a couple of alcoholic drinks, not sweet ones, every evening, and while I bet the loss might be a bit faster if I didn't have them, I'm trying to do something I can stay one without feeling as though I am on a deprivation diet.

I'm sorry to say (well, not sorry, but sorry I cannot commiserate) that I didn't have any real problems during menopause. However, my body temperature seemed to undertake a major change, so that I now have a really narrow window of comfort. I'm freezing below 69 and hot above 73 now.

And yes, my joints creak. And since doing this lc business, when I am down on my knees planting in the garden, my feet cramp up and give me fits trying to find a comfortable position. Other than that, life is fine....

Kay
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/155/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 69%

Can I join you guys? I remember Coutry Joe! I even dragged my 12 year old to a Lovin' Spoonful show at Epcot last week. I'm 50, having all sorts of health problems, and I've lost and regained the same 15 pounds about four times in the last year or so. I need to stick this time, a "support group" would sure help. I've started using Fitday religiously, I think that will help. And I visited a Women's gym close by this week, that's progress, isn't it? I'm going to go for a visit next week, but I'm allergic to most chemicals and not sure it's going to work out. May have to do it at home with tapes. Diana
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-03, 16:14
Registered Member

Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%
Default welcome

welcome, Diana.
This is a great place to be for support. i have had many question answer just wondering thru the different threads. It has helped to keep me on track. My loss has has been slow but steady and thats OK.
Also you can fine some great recipes so thinks don't get boring.
hAPPY LCing, Ginger
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 154/150/125
BF:Unknown
Progress: 14%
Default I MUST BE A TURTLE

I am so glad to find this site. I have posted plea after plea about my slow loss. My entire office is on Atkins. Their average weight loss is about 11 pounds a week. Me, I have lost 5 pounds since April 20, 2003. I am 60 and do kickboxing 5 to 6 days a week and lift weights. My co-workers do not exercise and one is older than me. I am sticking with it, but it sure does get difficult at times - especially when the scales do not budge.

Should I be counting calories and watching the amount of meat I eat?
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 20:13

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Were you that active before you started Adkins? Just a thought that you already may have much more muscle than most of us when we started. Losing inches is great, maybe even greater than pounds.

I have stalled too on the scale, but the inches are going down. Now, I am eating more calories, enjoying eating and living this way. I have many more pounds to lose than you, but I feel so much better. It's a difference between night and day.

I think you are doing great to have the energy to kickbox and lose inches. When looking at your journal, I agree that many much more knowledgeable people on this board may be able to offer some hints if you posted what you have been eating.

Just remember that turtles are much cuter than hares and at times do win the race.

Good luck!!!!
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 20:26
Give chance a chance

Hi StarAnise: I checked out your other posts, so as not to recreate the wheel. One thing I can add, about the lack of change in the ketostix, is that I was getting positive results from mine for about a month, and then they stopped changing at all. And I had not added anything new into my eating plan. Finally went and bought a new bottle of them, and they again showed ketosis. Someone on this forum said that they go "bad" quite quickly when any moisture gets into the bottle.

And since I was born in New Orleans, I do know that it is "moist" there. Just a thought. But it is also true that some people just never get positive results from the ketostix. So who knows?

While the slow weight loss I (and you) are experiencing is very frustrating, it helps me to realize that if I were not doing this, I would probably be adding on a half pound or so a month.....so if you substract that from your net loss, it is a bit more encouraging.

Hang in there,

Kay
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 06:00

Stats: 230/209/130
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Hello Everybody

Just checking in. Been doing pretty good on diet. Thinking about looking into South Beach Diet. Anyone tell me what is different about it from Atkins . Have alot of garden work to do. Raining as usual. Does anyone have polymyalgia r ? Everyone have a great day.

Last edited by Lorilynne : Tue, Jun-17-03 at 06:01.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 12:26

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hello Everyone,

Just read through all these posts and realize that Hey! I'm a COUNTRY JOE FAN TOO!!!! Hope you don't mind my pushing my way in.

I'm 51 yrs old...over weight all my life...menepausal....take PAXIL,
HRT, battling a pinched nerve that forces me to take pain pills, sedintary lifestyle, carbaholic 100%

I've been trying to begin a LOW CARB LIFE STYLE for quite a while, but every time I do, something pushes me back 50 paces!
I buy everything that I need to do it, begin and then something disheartens me and I grab the carbs to sooth myself!

I've told my storey in this forum so many times, that I've really tired of doing it...I feel like a failure to everyone on this board.
I'm one of those people who owns absolutely EVERY BOOK on the market and can tell ANYONE HOW TO DO THE PLAN, but I can't seem to practice what I preach!

I know that coming here every day is the key to success, but ...there's that BUT again....

I NEED HELP.....PLEASE!!!!!

GAP
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 19:46

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

I see your diet is meat and green vegetables. Do you exclude sugar as well? What else do you do? Exercise?

Do you feel better when following you woe? That has been my greatest benefit.

I also had a blood sugar spike before I began Atkins which has helped me stay on the straight and narrow. I'm not really tempted to eat anything I shouldn't because I know what can happen with diabetes. Thankfully, my sugar level stablized by the time I tested again within a month.

Good luck with your woe!
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 11:18

Plan: MEAT AND LOTS OF GREEN VE
Stats: 292.7/280/180 Female 68 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi,

I try NOT TO EAT sugar...it's never been my downfall, I'm fromthe SOUTH and it's been all fried food and gravies all my life..ALTHOUGH...I am so surprised to see just how much sugar there is in everything you eat...I try to stay clean and not eat preservatives...I'm doing better, and hope this COUNTRY JOE bunch can give me the support that I need!

GAP
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 15:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Hi
I'm closer to 60 than 50, and EVERYTHING is slower, especially the thinking process...soooo slow weight loss should not be a suprise to us 'more mature' folk... but it is sure frustrating. Keep plugging away there, thats what I am doing and sooner or later something has to give... either the elastic in my knickers or the fat beneath my skin......preferably the later... getting a bit long in tooth the the former!!!!