Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 14:17

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default south beach diet address

Hi Ellen,
I just private messaged you the address. Pat S
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%
i too just found this thread. I am 50 and started Atkins about a month ago. Did great the first week. Seem to hit that proverbial brick wall. Glad to wee that others are in the same boat. I have had no cravings and really am not hungry.
I was hoping that the fat would roll of quicker but I have lost 9 1/2 inches.
I need to ask since I am fairly new here, what does WOE stand for. Also, where can I find some information on the South Beach Diet that so many of you talk about.
Good luck to all. Stay with it. Slow losing is better that fast gaining!
  #63   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 18:03

Plan: low carb/Atkins
Stats: 181/171/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Thumbs up

http://prevention.com/cda/feature20...80,5345,00.html

Abouttime....Here is some information on the South Beach way of eating (WOE). My fat is not rolling off but I feel so much better.

I bought the book. It did not tell me much of anything I did not already know but it does appear to have some wonderful recipes.

Never the less, I love diet books and find them inspirational. South Beach Diet has a great cover, almost like a summer novel.

It seems to be similar to the Zone for those of you familiar or Atkins ongoing weight loss.

Pat...thanks for the message.

Ellen
  #64   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 18:09
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Dear AboutTime: If you have lost almost 12 pounds in a month, you are doing amazingly well! Congratulations....the truth , if you start reading many of the posts around here, is that while Atkins was right and a great man, the stories in his books of incredible quick weight loss are pretty much apocryphal.

Slow and steady does win the race. And I, for one, find this a very comfortable WOE....which is, since you ask, "way of eating".

Aside from meeting some marvelous people here, I think the one thing that has impressed and helped me is the advice to drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. Preferably more. I have a hard time doing that, but every time I manage it, two days later I am down a pound. And there seems to be nothing else in my eating pattern to explain it. There are folks here who have tried to explain it over and over (bless them) but it still makes no really logical sense to me.....I am only a believer because my scales seem to prove it true.

Another piece of advice: Start a journal here. Mine is called "We shall See", not because I was questioning my ability to keep eating low carb, but because I was sure I wouldn't be able to keep up a journal. HAH! It keeps growing like Topsy....people here are so very supportive and great fun as well.

Good luck to you....you are off to a terrific start,

Kay

Last edited by TarHeel : Sat, May-24-03 at 18:11.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:33

BF:

Here is my crustless quiche recipe....

Ellen’s Crustless Quiche

1 package (high end) frozen chopped spinach
1+ cup shredded cheese
¾ cup sour cream
6 eggs
3 cloves crushed garlic
½ chopped onion
½ tea. Pepper
Dash of nutmeg
2 tab butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Thaw and cook spinach, cool, and press out excess moisture

Sauté minced onion and garlic in butter

Beat eggs with sour cream and spices

Mix spinach into egg mixture.

Spray a 9x9 non-stick baking pan.

Place mixture into pan. Top with shredded cheese.

Bake at 350 approximately 25 minutes, until a knife comes out clean and the mixture is not jiggly. Low broil the top cheese until light brown.

Enjoy!!!!!

Ellen
  #66   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:45

BF:

Ooophs....another question

Where is the hamburger quiche recipe?

Thanks a bunch...

Ellen
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 12:21
Registered Member

Stats: 350/304.5/250
BF:50%
Progress: 20%
Wink over 50......

I am 58. I am disabled. I have lost more wt than it usually says on the left side. 53 pounds since Sept 1,2003
I understand every post so I just joined this thread. I have stayed the same wt for 2 months. I was not attempting to loss during this period. I needed to prove to myself that I would not inhale and gain it all back.
When I was losing I was going to an indoor pool and water walking 3 x a wk. The kids have taken that over and it is,as of yet , to cold to swim outside.
I am unable to walk 20 yards if not in water with a noodle or other float device.
I have made some of the soy breads and muffins on the LC recipe forum. It helped my drive to eat bread. My teen even approves of most of them.
I need to get stimulated and involved again.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:07

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi! I am 57 and so very delighted to have found this thread. I think we need our own place on the boards and not just in the turtle club. Who do we ask?

For our age, we haven't done so badly. In fact, I think we have done very well.

Often when I am reading the boards on Adkins, I think these are young people who don't really have a handle on this wol (way of life) or woe (way of eating). Usually, they are more concerned about weightloss than in health improvement.

I lost well at first, but am slowing down. But my health improves everyday. I feel so much better!!!!!! What more can I ask?
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 19:26
Give chance a chance

Hi Scottjan: I understand about your reaction to "the kids". However, I find most of them are much more aware of what their diet is doing to/for them than I ever was at their age. It can be a bit of a shock to realize that so many folks here were not born until long after we graduated from high school.

One even begins to pick up on the lingo. (I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not). But a good part of my life these days is spent at my elderly father's retirement community, and the younger folks on these boards present a refreshing balance.

Every now and then, I find myself skipping as I walk someplace. Then I stop and think: Is this a seemly thing for an almost 60 year old lady to be doing? I still feel like a kid in so many ways. So I think I will keep skipping if I feel like it.

Good luck to you Feel free to stop by my journal and visit me.

Kay
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 20:29

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Hi TarHeel!

Please accept my apology for the comment on young people. I have been "putting my big foot in my mouth" everytime I turn around today. I did not realize my comment was so negative.

Many of their comments are very helpful and I have used many of their suggestions. They are a very bright group and very concerned with improving their lives.

I hope I haven't offended anyone unintentionally.

I was just so happy to have found a thread concerning people closer to my age. I would love to hear more from these people about their successes, trials, and tribulations.

Thank you for starting the over 50 topic.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:21

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi Scottjan,
I am glad you found this thread. I understand what you ment it is different for younger people. I for one am not going to work towards wearing a bikini to many wrinkles I would have to iron me before I tried Pat S
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 22:57

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 178/168/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello Everyone

Its been awhile since my first visit ...so nice to see some new faces here

Marilyn~ I have found great support in the forum here..so you have come to the right place for stimulation and involvement! AND~~~53 lbs! what an achievement! Are you thinking of starting a journal?
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:21
Registered Member

Stats: 350/304.5/250
BF:50%
Progress: 20%
Post journal..........mmmmmmmm

I have never gotten into the journal portion that is offered on this site. Maybe it would help me get going again. I will start reading some other members journals.
The one I have read , a long time ago, had a lot of writing each day. I have never been very wordy.
I have to see if there is spell check there. I am so spoiled by having it.
How many of you journal? Do you do a daily entry or a wkly? Lead me to your sites so I can get the idea. Do you think doing a journal has helped your food program?
The only thing I have to compare it to is the time I spent in OA and the sharing I did there. I loved that and kept my wt down for 5+ yrs. Then OA died in this state. Atkin's is the only other......non medication thing......that has really worked for me.
At this point in my life I have to take certain medications and diet meds are out.
We have our first warm sunny day in a wk. I have shorts on and feel good about wearing them. How nice to feel ok with me.
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 10:50
Give chance a chance

Scottjan: No apology needed. As with everything else, you have to pick and choose whose journals you follow, and it's easy to discover which members are really working on low carbing in a realistic way.

Marilynuuu: Many of us in this thread have journals. Just click on the word "journal" at the end of each post, and you will be led to that member's journal.

There's no need to be wordy in your own journal, and you can make up any schedule you like for how often you post to it. Sorry, there is no spell check (I hate that part, too), but you can always write your post somewhere else (I use my email), spell check there, and then cut and paste into the journal. What I find most helpful about it is the support one gets from others once they get to know you a bit. I also think it keeps me honest.....if I don't stick to the diet, I wouldn't feel comfortable posting in my journal, and I REALLY, REALLY don't want to lose the journal!

WARNING: Journalling on this forum is highly addictive!!

Good luck,
Kay
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 14:06

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am over 50.I have been looking around for some explanation for my very slow loss.

http://menopausediet.com/News/digestion.htm

This site help me do my Atkins .

I just mix the two. I love reading journals but I am a terrible writer.
I am suffering from English as a second language and no spellcheck.This very nice to meet you all.
Pene