Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 17:44
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Hi Sue: It's me again....Willeke is a very nice lady, in my experience, and it is easy to see why she would be concerned. But I am similar to you (as well as being 2 inches shorter) and understand what you are saying. In the past I have only been able to maintain or lose weight (no matter what I ate) on 1000 calories or less. Above that the pounds start creeping back up. I can JUMPSTART a low carb diet on a few more, up to maybe 1800 but no more than that. I am trying to be patient this time....hoping that I can have a little more to eat on low carb.....and at least I am not gaining. But I find myself energetic and feeling full on 1200 to 1400 calories, though I am not deliberately restricting them. It just comes out that way. I'm sure many folks out there would be ravenous and weak at that level. Even I would begin to feel a bit faint at less than 7 or 8 hundred. My point is that we are all different. It doesn't seem that your goal weight is unreasonable and over 5 months is a very long time to go without losing. I assume you are taking supplements. Not a long term solution, but you should be okay for the two week trial.

I do think you might be wise not to post your caloric intake publically on these boards, or you will continue to get concerned responses from extremely well meaning people.

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-03, 18:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%

Hi Kay, and Willeke.

I reread my post to you Willeke, and I hope I wasn't sounding off base or anything. I'm just really finally losing weight and I guess I'm feeling like I've had a revelation.

I truly want Atkins to work. It just sounds so reasonable. And with everyone around me making it work, I know it's the right way to go about a healthy diet.

I'll keep on posting, but keep my calories to myself
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 07:38
Registered Member

Stats: 242/209/160 Female 5' 11"
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 40%
Default Low cal and low carb

Sue and Kay,

I think we're all old enough to know what works for our own personal bodies, and that's really how we make LCing and restricted calories work for us, don't you agree?

I've personally been on nearly every diet out there, at least briefly (some VERY briefly) and I know that higher protein, low carbs works best for me. When I restrict calories too much my metabolism slows down...and I just can't maintain the low, low calorie eating for long so soon I'm back eating far more and gaining weight. I'm also nearly 6' tall, which I suppose means my body needs more calories just to walk around.

As I said--we each know what works for US and that's what we should do, no matter what advice we get from others. I also think the age thing makes a big difference. When I was 30 I didn't have to do much to lose weight: eliminate snacks and desserts and it was done. After 35 it got more difficult and now each year that passes means more effort to lose just one pound.

I visited our local "Lo Carb Habit" store yesterday and the place was packed! They were giving out free samples of stuff, including tortilla chips and pizza, and even serve ice cream treats like shakes and sundaes, etc. I bought some Atkins shake mix and endulge bars (Kay you are right about those!!) and one bag of low carb pasta. But I know I have to take it easy on the LC treats and pasta, even, because they seem to get in the way of weight loss for me if I overdo it.

And now it's a new week--here's hoping we all have a great one and can update our stats with more good news this week.

LuWana
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 16:34

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Hi Sue,
I'm glad you have that experience with your body, and I'm still just so amazed! Whenever I do 1000 calories, I just don't have any energy left whatsoever. Truly, all I can do then is get out of bed, "throw" the dogs out, and fall on my chair at my desk and work at the computer and I am so very very tired then all day! I know for I tried this again and again and had to stop every time because it just isn't practical for me.
And lose weight I do not that way ... that's why I was so surprised and sincerely concerned. I am glad you appreciated that I didn't mean anything critical! Do you still have energy, and do you have any medicine for your half thyroid? Let me know if you think I'm too nosy, I'm just truly interested!
And it's great that you now have found the way to lose weight again!

Willeke

Last edited by willeke : Sun, Apr-20-03 at 16:37.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 05:26

Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%
Default Good Morning

Hi Willeke,

Well, I realize 1000 may not be correct for lots of people, it's only 300 less than I was eating before. If you look at it that way, maybe it's not so bad.

I think I was 24 when I had my thyroid removed. At that time I was tested several times and told that what was left was working. It was not recommended that I go on any medication as long as I was able to keep my weight down. I've had it tested periodically and always told everything's fine. I just have always had one heck of a time losing, but it was always a lot easier when I was younger.

I truly have tons of energy after a week of cutting back. Yesterday, I did wind up with 1300 for the day, but my weekly average is below 1000. My carb count is 30 or less each day, and what I eat is the same as before, only a little less. I'm truly stopping eating as soon as I am full.

My mother lives with us and prepares the meals. She gets so mad a me if I don't eat everything she prepares or if I don't finish what's on my plate (she puts it all on there). My husband and my children all cringe when it's time for dinner because it's usually a three-course carb plate. We're all carb consious.

She served left-overs last night, which is why my calories went up a little for the day. Our choices were ravioli and marinara sauce, hot wings, and potato salad. Needless to say, I ate the wings which were fine from a carb point of view, but high in calories.

So, anyway, I'm still down 2 lbs for the week, which I think is absolutely great after nothing for so long. One more week, and I'll assess how well this worked. If I go back to anything, it will only be going back to not counting calories, and maintaining the 30 carbs and under.

By the way, I appreciate your concern. It's so nice to have someone who cares.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:25

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking COME ON ALL OF YOU BIG STRONG MEN

Hi there, Tarheel, just found this thread. I sure remember Joe
MacDonald!!

I am a real slow loser too. I take a half dose (.3) Hrt each day. It's just the bare minimum to keep the hot flashes at bay. Well, I still get some but used to get several an hour, now it's only several a day.

I see you are retired. I'm still working and I work with lots of young guys. Hard to turn red and sweat all the time.

I'll be 53 next week. Although I have a gym membership, I sure don't use it enough. I do alot of gardening in the summer and walk the dog etc.

I was reading the thread about low calorie. Lo-cal does nothing for me. If it did I'd be pretty skinny. Low carb is going pretty slow but at least I am losing. Lo-cal I always seemed to end up heavier in the end Why is that. I think I would get so hungry that eventually I'd give in and binge. Now my binge eating is history.

Funny, but for the last several years, the lower cal I went, the fatter I got. Starvation plays havoc on the mind!!!

Good luck to all, HL
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:52
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Wow, HL, you have lost a LOT of weight! Very impressed.....Never had any trouble with hot flashes when I went through menopause at age 40, just lucky I guess. Though what did happen was changes in metabolism and the weight started adding up and not going away. I can lose weight on low calorie diets but can't stay on the diet. Eventually I get almost nauseous and feeling terribly deprived and before I know it I am no longer eating anything close to a low calorie diet. And then before I know it I am back to where I started. Low carb keeps me happy and satisfied and I can stick with it.

Yes, I am lucky to be able to be retired. Took early retirement from the state which means they don't really support me, but our small house was paid for and except for gardening expenses, we have a fairly low maintainence life style. Vacations are almost free as we tent camp.....except for having to board a rather frenetic dog. Her boarding fees are always much higher than any other part of our month long vacations. My husband is still working; he is younger than I, and except for the occasional filet mignon, we are doing fine. Having no kids helps.

I may have to look and see if Country Joe has a website and let him know that he is being memorialized here in this forum!

My best to you,

Kay
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 21:27

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 178/168/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi All

I just found this thread, so thought, seeing I'm over 50 (51) I'd stop in and say hey! I started on Atkins almost 5 weeks ago and have lost 5 lbs and that was very early on. I was hoping for a bit better pace, at least not a 4 week stall- but feeling so good with it, that I'm determined to give it my all. I haven't read the entire thread yet- but plan on lurkin around here in the future

Best of Luck to All!

Jude
  #54   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 02:04

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Hi Jude!
I am a very slow loser, too, and maybe it's an idea for you to go and look at the Turtle Club here on this forum. There is a sticky here with all kinds of things that may be the cause that you lose weight slower than you think you shuold.
It may help!
cheers
Willeke
  #55   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 12:04

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hello Everyone,
Thought I would drop in and say hi. I have changed diets since I was last here and I love it I don't know why but Atkins didn't agree with me I kept trying to think it did but it didn't. The South Beach Diet I found is a lowcarb diet also but with a few twists like dessert every night like FF Fudgesicles or a Ricotta Creme.
Good Luck to us all. Pat S
  #56   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 16:34

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 317/309/160 Female 5 FT. 9 IN.
BF:
Progress: 5%

While I see that no one has posted here for awhile, I figured I would introduce myself anyhow. I'm 53, post menapausal. I've always been a yo-yo dieter, which I know messed up my metabolisim. I tried low-carb years ago, with no success. I seem to be more calorie sensitive, and always have had success with reducing calories...but ristricting calories was not sucessful for me in the long term, because I would soon grow tired of not eating and give up...always gaining more weight. After a total hysterectomy it seems nearly imposible to lose weight. I went back to low carb for a year.... lost 5 lbs and gained 10 when I got discouraged. Almost gave up. Then I hit upon a plan that I feel I will be able to live with the rest of my life. I'm doing a combination of lower carb and protion restriction. Notice I did not say calorie restriction. I don't count calories at all... I simply try to control the portions of what ever I do eat. Notice I also didn't say low carb... I do lower carb where my carb intake in about 40 to 60 carbs a day, but on occasion it my go higher. So far I'm doing well. I fell great and can eat most anything which will keep me on this WOE. That's been a major downfall for me in the past...I would start to crave foods. Not just foods full of carbs, but just food in general. I found that for me... to deny myself something for long periods of time, just cause me to crave it more. Anyhow, I'm still a turtle for sure, but at least I am seeing results which means that my head is not in my shell...right? LOL!

I've rambled on long enough. Just felt like sharing. Good luck everyone!
  #57   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 17:27

BF:

Hi Meadow,
Looks like there are two of us here. You know your diet sounds like the one I am on. The South Beach Diet isn't a lowcarb or low calorie is more a low glycemic. I wish you and I luck and anyone else who is reading this. Pat S
  #58   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 21:44

Plan: low carb/Atkins
Stats: 181/171/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Meadow and Hi Pat,

I too have switched over to South Beach. Cutting down on the dairy and eating more veggies have really helped me out.

I basically low carb everyday and on special occasions, I will have a special meal and not overdo the carbs.

Keep up the good work!

Ellen
  #59   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:15

BF:

Hi Ellen,
I really am glad I am running into more people eating this way I know I sure feel better. There is a list at yahoo for ladies older that have started the diet SBD. I don't know if I am allowed to put the address on this site or not. If you want it let me know and I will email it to you. Pat S
  #60   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 17:06

Plan: low carb/Atkins
Stats: 181/171/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi Pat,

Send me the address via private message. Thanks.

Today was my administrative assitant's birthday, so I ate ice cream pie and went off the wagon. Tonight I will have some Vhick parm and a bit of pasta, the BACK ON TOMORROW.

Yes, I feel great!

Thanks for the reply!

Ellen