Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 21:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Fiona (or anyone else who was going to try this . .)

Just curious how this went. I have not had a major stall yet but am willing to try this when I do. Still a bit nervous about it though! I've done it before when I was on low-fat diets years ago and I really believe it works (at least it did for me in that instance).

What is the consensus for re-feed believers-- one "bad" meal or an entire weekend of "bad?" I know I'll stall eventually and I'd like to have my backup plan in place so I feel confident about what I'm doing when it happens. I'm really at odds about how long one should "let go." I'm not too worried about not being able to get back into it. My whole family is eating LC most of the time and those are (almost) the only foods we have in the house now. We have some sweets for the kids but that's not really of interest to me-- I want the burger and fries and I'd HAVE to go out to get that! Any experiences with the durations of the refeed making or breaking your success?

If someone who did this could post some more example menus of what they ate, that would really help out too!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:52

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Well I was wondering about that too...I also remember reading in Body for Life that he suggested one day a week to EAT WHATEVER YOU WANT.... He suggested that it resets your metabolism... Anyway I went back to earlier posts and found this article posted by someone that explains it.... Go to the end and based on your percentage of body fat it tells you how many days to REFEED....

http://www.theministryoffitness.com...s/article18.htm

Sounds like it has worked for many...right now I am on my 3rd day of a FAT FAST, but I would rather be eating more carbs and foods I like versus, eggs, meat, and cheese.... So by Friday if this doesn't work then I will try the refeed on a day that we go out to eat... Breakfast man I can't wait to have pancakes.. Dinnner, a huge hamburger and luscious fries........ Lunch who cares.... lol... Dessert, cheesecake...
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Breakfast man I can't wait to have pancakes.. Dinnner, a huge hamburger and luscious fries........ Lunch who cares.... lol... Dessert, cheesecake...
Skee, you might want to reread the parts about the types of foods one eats on a refeed. If you search this forum for "Leptin" you'll find a lot of information as well. It's supposed to be very low fat, high sugary carbs, moderate to low protein if it's to work to reset metabolism (and to be honest, it aint all that fun - I can still feel where I got canker sores from all the skittles!)

Nat
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:59

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks skeeweeaka! I don't if anyone else is having problems but I can't open the link. It sounds like the info is EXACTLY what I'm looking for though!

All this refeed stuff makes me think about myself "once a food addict, always a food addict." I'm anxiously awaiting a stall just so I can scarf all this high carb food! Too funny!
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 21:09

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

Well, I just tried this last night with a small planned cheat, a bit of pie that someone made especially for me for my going-away dinner. This morning I was still in ketosis, my weight was up .5 lbs though...I'll definitely be posting again later if it goes down in the coming days.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 02:52

Stats: 223/203/155 Male 5"11
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo53562
I've been following this thread with much interest. It seems to me that the people who actually benefit from a brief carb binge may be those who have slipped into "starvation mode" without ever noticing. A brief (1-2 day) carb binge may be what your bodies need to convince them that it's actually "safe" to continue depleting your stored "reserves" (fat cells).

If that's true, there could be two possible reasons that some do not restart their metabolic engines: either you weren't really in survival/starvation mode to begin with (your body was simply "pausing" to adjust to past losses) or...you were in survival/starvation mode, but you didn't present your body with enough carbs to "convince" it that metabolizing your reserves (fat cells) was safe.

Is this all making sense?

The key would seem to be to find a way to be sure that you were actually in survival/starvation mode. Once you've identified the problem, you can work toward developing a solution.

Has anybody got any idea of how to know if you are in survival/starvation mode for sure?

yeah, it's called ketosis
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 14:00

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%
Thumbs up Refeeding Links...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspine17
Thanks skeeweeaka! I don't if anyone else is having problems but I can't open the link. It sounds like the info is EXACTLY what I'm looking for though!

All this refeed stuff makes me think about myself "once a food addict, always a food addict." I'm anxiously awaiting a stall just so I can scarf all this high carb food! Too funny!

Trust me I did read the article about the type of foods... However, I also read other threads on the subject matter as well as this thread...

http://www.theministryoffitness.com...s/article18.htm

Hope this link works better...

Also...here is a discussion thread on the subject and it worked for them...without really sticking to the list of foods suggested... I think that it works for some and not for others...

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=119509

Also, here is a thread in the exercise group that I read regarding refeeding techniques....particularly post 9....trainer supplies very good information....

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=16165

Also...regarding the pie...that was simply a snack....not really enough for a refeed.... In the first article I believe there is a table that tells you how many days one should REFEED based on body fat....for me it suggested 24-48 HOURS... of refeeding...

Hope the links work if not email me....
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 00:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (Modified)
Stats: 242/216/155 Female 5´7
BF:shrinking!!
Progress: 30%

In one of my threads, Anacecilia was Stalling for about 4-5 weeks or more. Then she had this "refeed", and in 8 days, she lost 4 pounds!!!
I have been stalled for about 3 weeks now, and I decided Friday that I was going to follow her modified plan. I went to the movies (had Nachos with Jalapeņos and cheese), then for dinner we went to BK and I had a double cheese burger (with the bun), very few french fries (could`t eat more I was full by then), and Nestea(the huge plastic glass)! It was wooooderful!!!

Then for my surprise, I woke up feeling great...but then for Lunch I had yellow corn, and in about 1/2 hour I started feeling like Hanged Over, Nauseous.
I was in bed all afternoon, and woke up at 2 am. I really recommend that if you do a "Refeeding" just eat one meal..Don`t try to "refeed" yourself after many hours have gone by.

For my surprise, this "Refeeding" day, didn't get me out of Ketosis. There are traces of pink color on my ketostix!!! By the way, did not gain one sigle pound!!

I already had my breakfast..2 cans of tuna fish, with mayo and cucumber...
I am Back on track...
If next week, I start loosing weight, I will let you know, that is for sure!!! If not...I will also let you know. This is what worked for her and hope it works for me too.

XOXOXOX
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 10:28

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

very interesting thread. i will have to look more into this next week. i'm fat fasting right now. can't wait to have pho again!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Good news:

refeed did work for me.

did refeed on friday 03/10/03
and as of today 08/10/03 I have lost 4 pounds.

Ketosticks are dark purple and continue lossing weight and inches!!!

Broke the stall and got the visit of the whoosh fairy!!!

If you want to know how I did it, go to my journal to check for details.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 14:40

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

congratulations, becky! i wish i could do it this weekend but i'm coming out of a fat fast and i think i need to give my body a rest before attempting something like this. but rest assure, i will be devising carefully what i am going to include in this refeed session! hehe
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Oct-10-03, 12:47
Registered Member

IT WORKED FOR ME!!!!

I am reporting that since doing the Refeed last frida, I have lost 5.9 pounds!!!!
And not only pounds, but also INCHES!

check my journal for more details.

Serrelind: Thank you so much for your cheers!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: my own plan, Atkins
Stats: 127/117/110 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:

I was wondering if someone could give me advice. I have been on low carb for about a year, and in the past two months have gained about 12 lbs. Not really sure how, I'm not a cheater, although I was traveling a lot this summer and eating a lot of products and drinking alcohol (low carb though). I know that part is not so good, so I've cut it out. I have been on induction, but can't lose any of the weight I've gained, and feel like I am still gaining. I am thinking about trying the refeed for a day or two and seeing how it works. Does anyone have any advice for me? The thing I worry about is that I'm not stalled, I've actually gained. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 11:35

Stats: 190/169/150 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I have to say that I"ve been "refeeding" once a week for the past month now and have been loosing weight every week! I am so happy that I can have a meal a week that I don't have to worry about. I started with only a small increase in my carbs for that one meal a week and now I have realized that "for me" I don't have to worry about it so much. For instance, this week I had a pasta dinner and for dessert I had a brownie with some icecream. And I still dropped 2lbs.
I'm guessing that that one meal a week is enough to keep my body in a state where it doesn't feel it needs to store any carbs. Just my guess though....I have no professional nutritional background.
I recomend anyone who is in a stall for a few weeks to give this a try.
One thing I have to say though.....
At first it is a bit hard to only "cheat" one day a week.
Be careful and STRONG!!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 19:51

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Becky 160... you say "check out my journal" but I cant tell that you HAVE a journal???