Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 16:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default anaylize this........

O.k I'm trying to get down a regular routine with the supplements.

My main reason for taking some of these is to help reduce my blood pressure, rather than have to take precribed water pills ect.
So this is what I have come up with after doing some searching, so please, those who have experience with supplements, have a look, and let me know your opinion.

Here goes:

CQ10 50mg 3 x day
L-tarunie 500 mg. 2 x day
Garlic 500 mg 2 x day
Vit C 1000 3 x day
Calcium 333mg,with mag 167mg 3 x day
Potassium 550mg 1x day
Chrom/200mg 1 x day

To me this seems like alot, but I'm not that experienced in this area.

Will appreicate any feed back.

Cheers Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 19:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Kathy,

Those are all good supplements to help with your intended goal, and good dosages.

Are you also taking a daily multi .. or at least a B-complex with some beta-carotene? A multi would also have vitamin D in it, which is vital for calcium absorption into bone. YOu need to take vitamin D as a supplement unless you're able to get one full hour of sun exposure every single day, year round. I take halibut liver oil capsules (source of natural vitamins A & D) every day from October through April, and I'm at the same latitude north as you

Vitamin E is also an important antioxidant, vital for heart and blood vessel health. I encourage you to take 400 IU (mg) per day. Choose a natural source over synthetic. In fact, you might be able to cut back on the CoQ10 if you start taking E .... Coq10 is very expensive.

hth

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 19:52
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb

Just as an aside, do you have a home blood pressure monitor?? They're not exactly cheap, but a good investment nonetheless.

It allows you to check daily and at different times during the day to track trends .. it's so much more accurate and meaningful than the one shot at the drs. office. I'm glad I have mine .. I can monitor my response after exercise, when I'm sick, when I'm really p.o.'d .. or after eating certain things, like a really salty meal.

just a thought

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 22:28

BF:

Thanks Doreen for you input, yes, Iam taking a Vit B-50 Complex with choline and inositol, forgot to list that. I'm not taking a multi Vit, thought, I'd be covered with diet and the rest of what Im taking. As for the Vit, E, yes I was taking it but ran out, will get back to it.

I think I'll see if my Mother is interested in sharing the cost of a B.P. Kit, I really don't have a lot of faith in the drug store ones.

I really do not want to go back to the water pills, they stalled me in my weight loss. And I love this way of eating.

I'll do some reseach into my diet regarding the beta Carotene, the B complex I'm taking, does not list it.

I know that my B. P. is not in the danger zone, but I still want to be on top of it, presently it is anywhere from 152/87/73 to 141/80/70 Pre Atkins it was lower, so that is a bit of a concern.

Thank You and I'll post what I adjust to my pills.
Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:43

BF:

So I know have a good Multi Vit , bought Jamieson Basic Vita Vim Level one potency, It has the beta carotene I needed 3000,iu.

I will get the Vit E in the next few days.

I'm also taking Milk thistle every other day.

Thx, Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 10:59
Forum Founder

BF:

Kewl I take Vita-Vim too ... level 3, but I wanted the extra "stuff" for my fibromyalgia.

I was just thinking back to the potassium you're taking; you mentioned that it's 550mg. How much elemental potassium does it actually contain?? I know that potassium gluconate 650mg tablets yields 99mg of potassium. The rest is the gluconate part.

If the pill has 99mg potassiun or less in it, you might consider taking more OR adding a little NoSalt or other potassium salt-substitute to your food.

Just a thought

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 00:19

BF:

Geez, about the potassium................ what the heck is that Gluconate anyway??

I'm really puzzled, the doctor told me to get the Pot. 650 mg, I asked the Pharmacist, and this is what he gave me, yep it has 95, I think, have you every seen a higher one?

Any chance any of these supplements I'm taking, would cause a facial rash, it's getting really awful looking, I can feel people I know, looking at it, thinking what the heck has she got, it's just kind of under the skin. On my cheek and forehead.
Sorry if I've asked you before.

Thanks for the help, Cheers Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Sat, Apr-05-03 at 00:20.