Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

Carb Solutions milk chocolate bars are GREAT. Also, their chcocolate truffle. Caramel is so-so-ish.
Their milk chocolate is rich and I savor every bite!
And, Walgreens often has the on sale for $1.00!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:47

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

Walgreens has the Russell Stover too... and I have to admit, Russell Stover's is better than the carb solutions (I've had both).
You have to try!!!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:06

Well, you got my interest. Carb Soltions is good chocolate. And regular Russell Stover is great. I'll definitely try to very soon.
Alas, I don't remember it going on sale ever. However, you make it sound worth it.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:59

Plan: Atkin's Nutritional Approach
Stats: 190/165/150 Female 68 inches/ 5' 8 1/2"
BF:39/32/25
Progress: 63%

our local Hy-Vee (an Iowa grocery store) had a big box for 3.85, and individual size for .85c

It goes on sale here...
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 11:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

AdvantEdge Carb Control Nutrition Bars, either Lemon Cheesecake (NOT) or Blueberry...cloyingly sweet -- way too much maltitol (geeze, who'd a thunk it was possible?)
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 21:29
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

The grossest:
1. Carb Solutions Chocolate Toffee Hazelnut. It's the only one of this brand I've tried, and it's so bad, I refuse to try any others.
2. Myoplex Carb Sense Peanut Butter. Lucky for them it wasn't the first one I tried.

The best (everything is relative):
1. Myoplex Carb Sense Strawberry and Apple Cinnamon
2. Atkins Peanut Butter.

I'm starting to develop a love-hate relationship with these bars. On the rare occasions when I have a hankering for something sweet and I'm not home where I can have blueberries and cream or my chocolate cheescake mousse, I will have part of a bar. During the northeast grid blackout I ate two of them in 24 hours. But honestly, they trouble me.

I think they are way too sweet, sweeter than sweets I liked to eat before LC; way too expensive, as much as USD 4.00 in some NYC stores (I won't pay this much for one); and even the ones I "like" don't taste that good. On top of this, now that I've made a decision to eliminate refined carbohydrate from my diet why would I want to go and swap it for "refined" proteins, and in some cases even artificial flavors and colors? Someday someone's bound to find something wrong with all these hydrolized proteins. I've decided I don't think the sugar alchohols affect my blood sugar, but they do make me feel a little weird and occasionally give me the runs. I see why some people on this forum call them franken-foods.

What concerns me most is that, even though I feel this way about them, I continue to eat them, if only occasionally. Why wouldn't I just pass and have a piece of cheese or some nuts. It's like they've got us figured out. They know that most carb addicts are eventually going to break down and have something sweet so they create this outrageously sweet thing and charge a fortune for it, and then just sit back and rake in the cash.

Hmm....

Dorothy
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 18:47

Stats: 223/163/145 Female 5'5"
BF:?/25%/23%
Progress: 77%

Carb Solutions Bars all are bad. Keto Lemon and Peanut Butter are awful!!!!!

I'll stick with my Atkins Mocha and Peanut Butter.
I did try the new Think Thin Peanut Butter that was OK.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiesse
The grossest:
1. Carb Solutions Chocolate Toffee Hazelnut. It's the only one of this brand I've tried, and it's so bad, I refuse to try any others.
2. Myoplex Carb Sense Peanut Butter. Lucky for them it wasn't the first one I tried.

What concerns me most is that, even though I feel this way about them, I continue to eat them, if only occasionally. Why wouldn't I just pass and have a piece of cheese or some nuts. It's like they've got us figured out. They know that most carb addicts are eventually going to break down and have something sweet so they create this outrageously sweet thing and charge a fortune for it, and then just sit back and rake in the cash.
Hmm....Dorothy

Call me WEIRD but I really like Carb Solutions Chocolate Toffee Hazelnut. It has an unusual taste, but they are my favorite.

The sight of any lemon or strawberry make me shudder...that lemon cheesecake crap almost killed me.

I won't even try anything peanut butter...I'm afraid they'd use fake PB!!!!
Atkins chccolate decadence, or whatever it is calaled is almost bad enough to make me QUIT chocolate. Could probably make chocolate JUNKIES kick the habit. Like an under-cooked icky brownie made by someone who can't bake.

I truly believe everything you said about your concerns RE: what's in these bars. But, for a quick meal, it works.

Last edited by mariejoe : Thu, Aug-28-03 at 11:25.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 14:05
Contributing Member

Stats: 216/196/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:beaucoup
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariejoe
Call me WEIRD but I really like Carb Solutions Chocolate Toffee Hazelnut. It has an unusual taste, but they are my favorite.

There really is no accounting for taste, is there? This thread definitely proves it.

Quote:
I won't even try anything peanut butter...I'm afraid they'd use fake PB!!!!

Atkins has real pb and pieces of peanuts. Every other pb one I've tried is disgusting.

Quote:
Atkins chccolate decadence, or whatever it is calaled is almost bad enough to make me QUIT chocolate. Could probably make chocolate JUNKIES kick the habit. Like an under-cooked icky brownie made by someone who can't bake.

This we agree on. I don't like any of their chocolate ones. It also made my throat itch. Hmm...

Quote:
I truly believe everything you said about your concerns RE: what's in these bars. But, for a quick meal, it works.

Yes, I'm coming to terms with it. I had a really telling experience with one of the candy bars though: major cravings. (details in my journal if anyone's interested) Doesn't happen with the "nutrition" bars, just the candy. What's funny is, I can eat one square of 70% chocolate with real sugar just fine, but that Atkins caramel nut chew makes me want to eat 5 more!

Last edited by Deiesse : Thu, Aug-28-03 at 14:06.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 14:41

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

This is a good thread...and it just goes to show that everyone has different taste!

MY worst protein bar experience was the Biochem Ultimate Low Carb bars....I tried so hard to like them, but I find absolutely no redeeming factors in them at all. YUK!! Now, since I'm allergic to peanuts...it elimitates some of the bars I'd like to try..(like the Think Thin bars...I think all of them contain some form of peanut) ... and a lot of the other bars are simply not my idea of a meal, snack, or treat.

When it comes to protein bars, I used to buy mostly EAS cookies & cream and NitroTech chocolate fudge and s'mores. Since then, I've found that a few of the Atkins bars are better...such as their cookies & cream and s'mores...and the Keto Bars oatmeal raisin (tastes like a concentrated granola bar..Yum..)...and CarbWise s'mores (the only really crunchy one..). Carb Solutions makes a great chocolate mint, but it's the only good flavor for that brand. For breakfast, the Atkins cinnamon bun flavor is SO good...I have a hard time limiting myself!!

Oh yeah...and I haven't found a lemon flavored bar yet that I hadn't wanted to bury in the back yard!!
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deiesse

There really is no accounting for taste, is there? This thread definitely proves it.

Not onlt do I think they taste good, but the CarbSolutions Chocolate Toffee Hazelnut actually satisfy my hunger for a few hours. No other meal bar has ever done that. Maybe my body is trying to figure out just what I fed it...

Way back when, I may have mis-stated my favorite SF candy bar: Carbolite Chocolate bar is THE BEST chocolate candy bar, even among the sugar-filled kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBlumers
Oh yeah...and I haven't found a lemon flavored bar yet that I hadn't wanted to bury in the back yard!!

It's probably best not to bury those lemon things in your yard, the EPA would fine you big-time for polluting the environment!!!
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 20:03
Registered Member

Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

I love almost anything lemon but any of these bars make me cringe thinking about it.

Blueberry is about the same.

I think I will create some good tasting LC bars, sell them and make a fortune!
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 20:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 200/190/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down Worst Bars

The Keto Strawberry Shortcake. Even my dogs refused to eat them!
The Carb Solutions Peanut Butter bar was slimy and totally nasty too, can't begin to describe the taste except to warn everyone not too!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 10:09

Stats: 257.2/252.8/165 Female 5'9"
BF:less than it was!
Progress: 5%

Try all the new SF Russell Stovers candies. They taste really good. Whitmans also has a new SF Sampler out thats about 8 carbs for 3 pcs. yum! found them all at walgreens.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 10:46

Russell Stover SF Pecan Clusters, !! Walgreens has them on sale occasionallly at 3/$1.00 (limit 6). Double yummm!