Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/331/200 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Where did everyone go?

I'm still here.

How's everyone doing? I had a very cheaty weekend, but am back on track.

Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 07:54
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Birthday party? Those tend to be the demise of most. I have one this weekend - my baby will be 4! Gotta find a Dora the Explorer cake.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 21:20

Plan: Somerizing
Stats: 206/206/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default hello everyone

Im not from Iowa but just came back from there... It sure is beautiful there....I was in Ida Grove what a pretty town loved it..Im from North Dakota and although it is green right now..seeing all that green grass and trees were something different for me....lol good luck in Iowa
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 18:14
Registered Member

BF:

Oh wow-I forgot all about birthdays! Two of my children have birthdays in August. Maybe by then I will have come up with a low carb version!

Dakotagirl-I used to live in Detroit Lakes, by Fargo ND. I sure do not miss the snow!

Michelle
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 05:09

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 162.5/148.5/135
BF:
Progress: 51%
Smile

Hi Everyone! I'm new to the sight and thought this would be a great place to post my first message! I am from the Mason City area. I decided May 1 would be the beginning of the new me! I started following the Atkins diet and have lost an amazing 14 pounds in just a short period of time! The best part is I do not have any cravings and feel satisfied longer. We have a great GNC in Mason City! Half of the store is filled with all of the low carb food selections..I only wish other stores would carry low carb since GNC is EXPENSIVE! Hey Subway Girl, I go through Mount Pleasant all the time! We travel down to Fort Madison to visit my Grandma a coupld times a year. Is the construction done with the Avenue of the Saints! That really changed the look of the town. I look forward to talking with all of you! have a great Friday!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 09:52
empress of fashion

BF:

Welcome fellow Iowan! (nice name - don't try and steal my thunder )

I've never been to the Mason City area - how's the weather up there?

GNC is overpriced EVERYWHERE, in my opinion. Isn't there an alternative/off beat kind of market in your area?
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 14:53
Registered Member

BF:

Iowagal-there is still construction going on! I can't wait until it is all done. The GNC in Burlington has next to nothing. Maybe I will check out one in Iowa City.

Michelle
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 15:02
empress of fashion

BF:

New Pioneer Food Co-op in Iowa City might have some things as well, at least know of somebody that would. Good luck!
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 19:58

BF:

Hey IowaGirl...nice name I did my name before I got into the message boards and did not know you had such a similiar name! We really don't have many choices in Mason. GNC is the only place that I have found low carb items. Pretty pathetic for the size of town.

Has anyone tried almond flour? I just ordered some from online...it is GREAT!! I'm looking forward to substituting it for the soy flour!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:01
empress of fashion

BF:

One of our local stores just started selling the almond flour _ I've been wanting to try it. As I recall it was selling for an outrageous price. How much did you pay for it online, if you don't mind my asking?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 08:18

BF:

A 5 pound container cost $19.95 + shipping and handlling (which was an outragous $11.95!!) You can actually make your own almond flour. Just put in a food processor until it is a fine powder and BEFORE it turns to Almond butter. I really love the flavor! Here's a great recipe:

1/2 cup Almond Flour
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 or 2 packets splenda

mix together and microwave for approx 30 seconds. This is a great alternative to Cream of Wheat and Oatmeal.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 07:56
empress of fashion

BF:

Sounds good. I've heard of making your own flour but.....I have a blender, not a food processor - would that be good enough?

I do miss oatmeal on those cold Iowa mornings.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-03, 20:58
Registered Member

Stats: 280/232/200
BF:38?/31/15
Progress: 60%
Talking Hello Hawkeyes!

I live near Davenport, and have been LC since one week before Xmas. Have lost 48 lbs (as of this morning). When I started, I set a goal to RUN the Bix 7 road race at the end of this month. (I walked it last year) I am proud to report that I ran a seven mile training run several weeks ago.

fyi, Walmart does carry some of the Atkins candy bars and shakes but haven't seen the products like baking mixes.

MMM pork chops!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 07:46
empress of fashion

BF:

So - are you gonna run the Bix? I myself am interested in walking it (stress that - WALKING it) but things didn't quite go as planned this year.

Greatest Grains has the Atkins baking mixes, though I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy them!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 21:07
Registered Member

Stats: 280/232/200
BF:38?/31/15
Progress: 60%
Default Running the BIX

Yes, I am definately running the BIX. The training run was on the actual race course. They block of the streets on the Thursday nights prior to the race and hundreds (thousands!) of people run and walk it.
The course is hilly, starts with a very steep ascent up Brady street, but the worst is a series of hills around the midpoint, and a loooong continuous rise from mile five to six.
I walked it last year in 1hr 45 minutes. The training run I did was in 1 hr 18 minutes, not really competative, but I weigh twice as much as the Kenyans who typically win it. Let them try running it carrying someone piggyback and let's see how fast they are!

mmmm bacon!