Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 11:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default yummy berries!!!

How many of you eat fresh berries??? and how often??? (ever noticed them slow weight loss?) I have fresh strawberries and raspberries in my fridge. And I am looking forward to digging in. I've moved on from induction so I could enjoy these wonderful fruits (esp after such a awful winter). Just don't want to over do it! Thanks Ellen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 13:03

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

Hi, I am also curious to this because I have an 8x16' strawberry patch in my backyard that I anxiously await for every year!! Since starting low carbing 2 months ago, I was wondering how I was gonna do this year with those strawberries!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 13:04

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I eat fresh strawberries and blueberries quite often. They are quite low on the glycemic index and probably won't cause any problems. Just count them in your carb total as you would any other food and enjoy!

#4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 13:26

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I eat those wonderful berries and have had no problem. I enjoy strawberries, blue berries, black raspberries and pour wonderful heavy cream on them and enjoy. I have not had a weight slowdown.

I just ordered some Dr. Atkins products and one was the cold cereal. I can just taste it with strawberries and cream and a cup of hot coffee with heavy whipping cream. I too just count the carbs and go on my way.

Windy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 14:24

Stats: 235/215/170
BF:
Progress: 31%

Since day one of Atkins I have had about 1/4 cup of thawed frozen berries with some whipped cream on top each night as a snack. Still lost 20lbs!

Since then, I have alternated to some whipped cream in a small cup with about 1/3 tsp of hersheys cocoa stirred in. It is great!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 15:07

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

I think the strawberries are my salvation. Have a few almost every day since getting on OWL. It's strawberry season and they smell sooo good.
Had 1/2 a tiny peach today. Don't know where it is on the glycemic index. Must check that out but it's only 4 gr. carb. for 1/2
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 15:20

Stats: 142/115/110
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default I have added Berries too!

I have been on Atkins since Jan 15/03 and have lost 19 lbs..sooohaaappy..anyway I added a 1/4 cup of mixed frozen berries and a tbls cream to my daily menue I have it for dessert, it really makes a difference to me. I also have 24 almonds as snack at work every other day. I sit right beside the vending machine at work and am not the least bit tempted.
Rollie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 17:45

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
It's strawberry season and they smell sooo good

It's Stawberry Season ???

We only just finished winter But we are having a lovley spring week and I sit in the sun most days (have to get that Vitamin D up... )
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 21:20

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Hi madpiano. Remember this is Sunny California where Spring come early. The berries won't grow here for a couple of months but they're growing on the warm coast and the stores are getting them now.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 23:50
Registered Member

Stats: 245/205/175
BF:
Progress: 57%

I think that red raspberries (especially when you can find them fresh) are particularly good -- they're only 14 gms / cup and contain 8.4 gms of fiber, for an effective carbohydrate count of about 6 gms/cup. A cup is a LOT of raspberries -- I usually only have a half-cup.

Add a quarter-cup of whipped heavy cream with a teaspoon of Splenda and about 1/4 tsp of vanilla and you have my idea of heaven.

Strawberries are 10 gms cup with 3.3 gms of fiber (ECC=7 gms), and blueberries are 20 gms/cup with 3.9 gms of fiber (ECC=16 gms) -- you've got to be careful with blueberries.

-M.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 00:21

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

Hey I was wondering....when you say a cup of strawberries.....is that a cup of "whole" strawberries? I like to mash mine and put sweetener in it and eat it like that.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 04:43
Registered Member

Stats: 223/193/185
BF:
Progress: 79%

And don't forget the whipped cream on top. Yum
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 07:16

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Between this and the Girl Scout Cookie thread I'm starting to drool...lol. I don't have sweet cravings terribly often since the second day of induction, but every now and then....

I do have 3/4 of an Atkins bar in my desk. Guess I could have a bite or two of that...although an Endulge Bar or Pure De-Lite bar sure would taste better...lol.

Actually, I'm trying to get back onto a clean induction. I want to stay on it for a while as I have so much to lose, and by adding in strawberries and nuts, etc., I'm fooling myself by saying I'm still on induction. Soooo...back to the basics for a bit longer

L
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Stats: 185/179/153 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Cool My Strawberry Decadence

When the good strawberries come to Michigan (we're just gettin them now) I like to take some cream cheese, add a little splenda and then dip the strawberries in that or stuff 'em with it. I can eat about three strawberries that way and I'm satisfied. I think having the cream cheese along with them slows any reaction my body has to the sugar. Used to be, when I would eat strawberries on their own, I would feel that crash feeling even before I was done eating them. Enjoy!!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-20-03, 08:30

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Unhappy

I wish I could but everytime I eat more than 2 strawberries or about 4 rasp or blue berries I get knocked out of ketosis and I get cravings