Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/151/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

Here are the links to a few 'menopause' sites I frequent.

http://www.menopause-online.com/
http://www.earlymenopause.com/
http://www.power-surge.com/intro.htm

All three have bullentin boards and tons of information. I found it very useful

MsMonty
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 18:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

MzMonty.....Thank you for the sites
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:16
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know

Hey Isa, I'm 63, and started my hot flashes when I had a complete hysterectomy to get rid of cancer way back in 1989. I took estrogen therapy for years, but since I moved to Tennessee (9/2002) I don't have medical insurance, so I stopped all medications. The happy news is tht the side effects from the estrogen are gone, i.e. migraine headaches and weight gain to mention just two. Now the hot flashes are a bother, but I try to embrace them as something my body does once in a while. I no longer fight them and get upset. I noticed that they come on when I am the slightest bit stressed, so I remind myself to calm down and take a couple deep breaths. I also read that in some cultures, women don't get hot flashes. I wish there was more research on this subject. I bought a couple of fans and when one starts I grab a fan. I even announce to anyone watching that I am having a hot flash. This seems to amuse people, and it helps me to feel that I'm ok. One thing about a hot flash, it makes you pay attention to your body! I can live with them...
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 19:35

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Suni, wwich Vancouver are you in? The Washington one or the Canadian one? If it's the Washington one, we are almost neighbors!
To find the thread on HRT the Penelope posted, scroll down under the text on this thread until you come to 'FORUM JUMP...and it shows Elders Lounge. Hit 'go' and it will show all of the threads posted on this sub-forum. Penelope's is the one called Mature Goddess.

Joyce, you have such a good attitude! I am going to learn a ton from you I can tell. I've already learned from Fat (Fit and Trim!) and from chiqui and Pattie and everybody else here. Isn't it exciting to have this place to come to? I feel like I've 'come home'.

I have been off my HRT for about 2 months now. Not because the doctor said I could, I just ran out and didn't tell him. Me bad! I don't mind the hot flashes too much...been going through them since my hysto some 29 years ago. They just remind me that I am ALL female! LOL!

Happy LC'ing everybody!!
Nance
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-03, 08:47

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%

Happy Wednesday Morning

Nance: I will try and find the Mature Goddess post and send along info. I saw Dr. Christina Northrup on a PBS Special and was most impressed with her. She specializes in women's health and menopause because when she began going thru the Big M she could not find enough information or a doctor to go to herself. I was so happy to find a female doctor our age even if it was on TV. I really like our family physician but when I try and describe the hot flashes, mood swings and sleepleness he just "looks" at me - like I'm exaggerating (or lying) or over-reacting. I take HRT to keep me "normal" at work. I work in a mostly male environment and I was embarassed by the hot flashes and HRT helps control them.

I live in Vancouver, Canada, for the past 10 years. Before we moved here I lived in southern Ontario.

If/when I am able to stop working full-time I am going to try and go off of HRT and try to control the symptoms naturally as Dr. Northrup has suggested. But until that time they help me cope.

Good news: I weighed myself today (every Wed.) and I am down 1.2 lbs. YEAH!!!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 08:17

BF:

WOOHOO Suni! Another weight loss for you...that's great!

I'll have to check out some of Dr. Northrup's books. You sound completely sold on her and that's a terrific recommendation.

I am not on HRT right now...trying it without. I had a complete hysto 29 years ago and decided that was long enough to take stuff for it. I have hot flashes occasionally, but not too bad. I was on Menest which is a soy based formula I believe and will go back on it if the doc says I need to. I am trying to get off as many prescriptions as I can. I'm down from 13 to 7 now so I'm gaining!

Giving Thursday thanks for this WOE!
Nance
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:36

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey Joyce...I enjoyed reading your wisdom about hot flashes. I can't know if mine are strong or weak in comparison with another woman's, but since I seem to be able to get through them without too much fuss and bother I think I'll just embrace them, as you say, and know that I'm doing all I can to stay healthy and fit. My ob/gyn and I are going to monitor my health and see if avoiding HRT will work for me. My mom got through her menopause just fine (she says). Perhaps embracing my hot flashes will help me to watch my mood swings, too. My family will love that!

And...er...does anyone want to talk about libido? Or lack thereof? I'm married to the coolest guy...so sweet and handsome and funny and slim and stylish. All those things that make me swoon. But I'd rather curl up next to him and purr than tear him limb from limb with passion. He'd much prefer the latter. But he's patient. Good thing, too. I could go for weeks without "it" and feel just dandy. Can't say the same for him. And it makes me feel guilty about myself.

Any words of wisdom?

Isa (purring)
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 11:59

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi (purring) Isa

Dr. Christina Northrup discusses this on her website so you may want to take a look. I believe I read somewhere that women who loose their libido have low testosterone levels. This apparently can be remedied easily with an application of topical testosterone cream. So maybe because your in the Big M and estrogen is diminishing, so are your testosterone hormones. The link to her website is:
http://www.drnorthrup.com/ - you may find the info you need.

Before menopause I never had mood swings - NEVER. I was the proverbial "happy camper". Then I hit menopause and one minute I was estatic, the next minute I was angry and wanted to rip somebody's head off, and the next I was weepy - I felt totally out of control. The hot flashes were bad too. I could feel them coming on and I would unbutton the cuffs of my blouse and undo the neck and slip off my shoes to try and cool down. I tried to do this very quietly because I work with mostly men and I was self-concious. A few minutes later I would get cold and I would button up everything and put back on my shoes. Within 5 minutes I'd get another hot flash - I mean I was unbuttoning and taking off shoes and clothes fast than a stripper.

HRT keeps me sane! I am going to take in the printout from Dr. Northrup's page and give it my doctor and request he change my estrogen. I am already on the progesterone she recommends. I am going to try and stay on HRT for about another 4 years, then I will be 60, hopefully retired and through the Big M.

Hope you find help on her website.

Just my opinion but I believe that women, like men, as they age, need a bit more "warm up" time to get them in the mood to do "it".

I know this is completely off topic but are there any women in this forum who's husbands and/or partners have had prostate cance with the prostate being removed? If there are would you be willing to e-mail me privately so we could dialoge about this a bit. I would be most appreciative.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 10:20

BF:

Libido? What's that? LOL! Been so long since I had any I can just vaguely remember those 'tear him limb from limb' wrestling matches!! As Bob Hope would say...God rest him...'thanks for the memories'!!

I ask myself some times if I REALLY miss those days....and I get different answers all the time so I haven't explored any 'remedies' for it. Musn't let hubby hear that remedies are even available, or the choice will be out of my hands...!

This is a topic of discussion with every woman I know...do you miss 'IT'.....95% say nope....wouldn't care if I never have 'IT' again, ever! Seems like when we have our children and put that part of our lives behind us, the desire for 'IT' diminishes greatly. I am of the belief that woman have sex to pro-create...men have sex to re-create...or for recreation. I do like my 'cuddles' though. Hope this subject gets explored some more on here!

I also hope the subject of prostate problems as men age would be addressed on here. Men? Are you listening?

Be healthy!
Nance
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 21:55

Steaks, have you noticed no one has said anything on this thread since you last posted. I have been advoiding it myself...then I thought...I will just mention it to you.................LOL
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 06:59
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know

Hey everyone, Prior to moving to Tennessee, I was in a relationship for five years. My libido was fine, his was not. So it's not always the woman. His a-sexuality (he avoided intimacy, touching, and affection also) chipped away at my self-esteem and contributed to my decision to leave. As for now, I am not involved with anyone so if that day ever comes, I'll have to see what's up with me sexually. I do believe that there are many things involved in human sexuality, and we should be careful not to blame everything on 'age' or hormones.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 08:17

BF:

Joyce, thanks for 'saving' me! LOL! DeAnna, I HAD noticed that, in fact!! LOL!

This is a subject that affects a large number of us...why doesn't anybody want to talk about it? Too public a forum? But nobody here 'really' 'knows' us...so what can it hurt. IMO, it's one of the best uses for this forum. Common, shared problems and how the low carb WOE alters/cures/worsens (never!)/improves whatever ails us as we age.

Who's going to rescue me this time?! LOL!
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 12:55

I will PM you later... when DH is gone.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 03:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/185/150 Female 5 ft.5in.
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi everyone
sorry I have not posted for awhile ..it is just to damn hot here. At 10:30 a.m. it was already 85!! the whole week looks to be in the high to low 90s.I have no desire to sit here at the computer with the fan blowing more hot air on.
I will write more when the weather is cooler or I have a short cool period in between hot flashes
But I am staying with the plan and now have lost 20LB.
It is great to see so many new faces..love reading the post.
Went to a BBQ last weekend slipped a bit but notto bad,2 small pieces french bread with tomatoe and onion,and two tortilinies....no beeer or wine,. otherwise stayed with carb limits.
Now I am off to go sit in a cool tub and study my German...
later ladies

Pattie
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 08:42

BF:

pattie, it's so good to hear from you!! So sorry about the heat. We just had a week of sizzling temps too. I do NOT function well when it gets that way. Try to stay cool...and congratulations on sticking to Plan!! So you bhobbled a couple times...you're doing good!

Joyce, you are absolutely right about the different causes. Just might be too uncomfortable a subject for this forum. There are plenty of other places on the www to discuss it. Wouldn't want this marvelous thread to die because of this, so....anybody tried any new recipes lately?!!!

Have a great day today!
Nance