Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 15:14

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I am new to the category. I turned 50 this past March. I am LCing in general for 2 years, and Atkins specific since May this year.

Take a peek at my before/now pictures (link in my sig). This diet made me look and feel younger, and I am planning to eat this way for the rest of my life....
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%
Default Diane

Diane, I sent you PM but you are too full to recieve it.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 05:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/310/190 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress:

Hi I am new here. I am 57 and just started lcing about the first of the month.
I am trying atkins. I did not know anything about carbs until I started reading about them. It is amazing how bad to many carbs are for you and I was addicted to carbs. I find even now that if I eat the wrong carbs my body starts craving carbs again.
I hope to be able to stick with this new life style and lose the many lbs that I have gained over the years.
JJ

Last edited by TxTruker : Mon, Jul-28-03 at 05:46.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:33
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Talking over 50?

Hi there, well, I'm over 60, is that a problem? Anyway, I really began to fall into that pit of dispair that says, "you must accept your body will fall apart and look like lumps of mashed ptoatos because of your age". I am now beginning to say "pooo" to that stuff and whatever happens, I will not lie down and take it! I intend to low carb, body build, walk in the park and think positive loving thoughts, and I will accept however I look and love it as long as I stick to my healthy and wholistic life style program. So let's all support each other as often as possible
Quote:
"Learn to find places of healing. Learn to find people, places, events, and rituals that work for you. Don't worry about how to find them, they'll call to you, or you'll call them into your life." Melody Beattie
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 10:40
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know

Hey Aire, Your'e workout program is impressive. I just started weights with a personal trainer and go to the fitness center on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Sometimes I throw in Fridays if it works. I was afraid of the weights at first, I just wasn't sure what would happen to my body, but my trainer has loaned me motivational tapes and now I am getting excited about it. I also walk in the park about every other day. I'm just starting out so I don't want to over do it and then burn out. I checked you b and a pics. Congratulations, great job. I hope to see muscles soon.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 12:39

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hi Everybody

I am 56 years old, have been low-carbing for about a year. Initially I lost 17 pounds but gained 5 or 6 back now I am battling like mad to loose those again. Before low-carbing I was on a low-fat diet for years and years and years ...

I really love this way of eating and have never felt so good. I work out at the gym 3 times a week, a combination of aerobic & weight bearing exercises. I am fairly slim everywhere except thru the middle. I am finding it difficult to loose this "roll" around my belly, which I find frustrating.

I am in the midst of menopause and am on HRT - a natural one made of a combination of soy and yam estrogen + Prometrium (progesterone). Dr. Christina Northrup has an excellent website with valuable information on it about HRT if anybody wants to check it out.
I am very happy I found a forum with people my own age.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 13:31

Stats: 207/207/150 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am 52 just started induction today. I too take losts of medication. High BP, heartburn pills,and hrts I guess I will see what happens I hope the meds don't keep me from getting skinnyLOL.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:13

Stats: 170/151/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%

I am 53 with 4 kids ages 33 to 14, two step-children, 3 grand children and a very neurotic Yorky-Poo and of course, a DH. I have a small business and work at home for the most part with a little bit of travel.

I used Atkins for the first time in the 80's to get rid of the weight I gained with my older kids. After I got to my goal weight of 130, I did not diet but kinda watched what I ate a little bit and if my weight went to 140 I did Atkins until I got it back under 135. That worked so well even with the birth of my two younger kids, I was able to get back to 130 easily. Then ... 2 1/2 years ago I quit smoking and promptly put on 30 pounds.

I was on HRT for a while and struggled and lost nothing and could not seem to even get into ketosis so I gave up. I feel so much better off the HRT except for the hot flashes and night sweats. Strangely enough I totally eliminated my hot flashes and night sweats with Vit C/E until Atkins....they came back... I am guessing it’s because of Atkins but its bearable and I have lost 16 pounds since Jun 1.

Anyway, I am happy as a clam to be here

MsMonty
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 16:43

Hello to all the newcomers. It is wonderful for you to be here. Great place to learn from all the other Low Carbers that have doing this for a long time. I myself have only been here since April 17th and still learning myself. I too am going through menopause since 6 yrs ago. I cannot take anything for it because of blood clots that I have had in the past. I have high blood pressure and Thyroid problems. But hey, I get to eat myself thin...so why should I worry. I am having the time of my life.....
Happy LCing........
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-03, 22:14

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Welcome everybody! It is so good to see so many new faces here. It was a little lonely before with just four or five of us here, hence the 'remodeling' idea. Hope you all feel free to jump in and help us create a comfortable home here for low carbers who have 'lived' a little. LOL! Share you dieting tips, complaints, problems, ideas, rants, challenges....ask questions.

Check out the thread Penelope started about HRT and hysterectomy. She could use some support over there on it

Don't forget to give us your idea of a good name for this sub-forum so we can vote on it. Rosebud is our Moderator Mistress and is being kind enough to keep an eye on us and help us get started. She's also "one of us", but don't tell...ssshhhhhh.

Happy low carbing!
Nance
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi all you fabulous 50s (and over). I've been LCing and exercising since mid-January, ever since I went to a friend's 50th birthday party where I felt dumpy and matronly next to this group of friends who were all trim and athletic. To date I've lost 21 pounds and gained self-respect. But I've discovered that the weight just doesn't fly off like it used to, does it!? I have to exercise at least 5 days a week (running and Pilates three, walking two) just to maintain!

I've always felt younger inside, and now I look younger outside.

I'm turning 50 this year and I've got the hot flashes to prove it. But at least I don't have my extra padding anymore.

Is there anyone out there who is not taking HRT for hot flashes? I'd love to hear how you cope with it.

Best regards and keep up the great work!

Isa
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 08:54

BF:

Good Morning Everyone

I am sending along a website that I found valuable information about menopause. Dr. Christine Northrup is "our" age and she specializes in women's health. With the confliction opinions from the health field about HRT I wanted to learn as much as I could so I could take HRT (horrendous hot flashes, inability to sleep, mood swings - UGH!) but remain healthy (not worry about developing cancer(s)). She discusses the benefits of HRT plus she supplies information onhow to control the symptoms of menopause without taking HRT. I found it useful and informative and I hope others will also. This is the link below.
http://www.drnorthrup.com/hc_menopause.php

Have GREAT day!
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:00

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Good morning folks!

Hope everybody has a successful day of resisting the bad carbs today! I was a bad girl yesterday and have to get back on track.

Suni, thanks for the web site! That is interesting information and it's nice to learn from a 'peer' instead of a male who has no idea what we go through! Could you post it over on Penelope's 'Mature Goddess' thread too? She's interested in hearing from ladies who have had hysterectomies and are on HRT. Perfect fit! Thanks so much!

It's so hot here in Oregon today (100+) I can't tell a hot flash from just the terrible heat. We're used to rain not heat!

Have a terrific Tuesday!
Nance
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 11:09

BF:

Hi Nance - I'll be glad to post this but you'll have to give me some help as I don't know how to get to Penelope's "Mature Goddess" thread.

Even on low-dose HRT, I find that I am more sensitive to the heat and it has been unseasonably hot and sunny in Vancouver. However, we're not complaining as this sunshine is wonderful and a welcome break from the rain we usually experience.

I am doing fairly well sticking to my low-carb WOE. Seldom do I have terrible cravings for sweets like I used to have - I used to be like an alcholic after alcohol - "had" to have it (sugar) but thank goodness, for the most part, the carvings have almost stopped. And if I do have one, I try and make myself wait about 10 minutes. I also use this trick. I know this sounds strange but it works for me and possibly it may work or somebody else.

I miss the "chewing" - I enjoyed chewy candy and loved to chomp on chocolate. When I need something sweet - usually for me it is right after dinner, I keep a bag of pitted prunes on the countertop. When I feel the "need" for something sweet I eat 3 - 4 prunes directly from the bag. I get the chewing satisfaction I want, the sweet taste I am craving and I feel satisfied without doing any damage. I don't know if anybody else wants to try it, but for me, it works!

Chow for now.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 12:10

Afternoon all,

Hello Isa, I can't take anything for hot flashes because I have had blood clots in my leg before. I know how you feel about feeling out of place in a group of fit and trim people. I feel like hiding in a corner, or just leaving. I always have a feeling they are secretly talking about me being fat. Of course I am sure they have better things to talk about, but that is how I feel. At my age everyone is younger, thinner...but then I remember so was I at that age, and these others are the new generation that will some day have my same problem with their diet of eating junk food and getting fat, just because no one tells them what they eat is going to turn on them one day and they won't even see it coming. I have got my 15 yr old DD to read labels and watch what she eats...and to learn from my mistakes. She say's she is my Health Cop...She bugs me until I exercise with her...LOL

Hello Suni. Site is great.I can't take a thing for my hot flashes and I make my family miserable keeping the air conditioner on high, to the point were they have to cover up or leave the room. And at night I only use a sheet, with a huge fan on right in my face with the air going too. Everyone thinks it is winter time.

Hello Steaks...speaking of hot...we have alot of that here too. we have 5 dogs and guess who takes them all out to potty.......Would like to just stay as close as I can to the cool air inside.