Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/149/130
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hey dudes!

I'm still at it...but I've finally taken some of your advice, and I've started a journal. I can surely use the encouragement, so if any of you would like to check it out, please feel free!

as for the supplements I'm taking, the only things I take are a multi-vitamin, vitamin C and Calcium. that's it.

as for the green tea extract, I drink green tea alot, does that count?
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 10:44

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%
Thumbs up

Ouch, so glad you're hanging in there! Good idea starting a journal - maybe it'll pinpoint something you're not picking up on now.

As for the green tea, there is a lot of information about it on the supplements thread. I found it by doing a search for polyphenols. I think it said you have to drink a minimum of 10 glasses a day to get an effective amount of polyphenols from the tea. For me that's more carbs than I want to expend so I take the extract. (Actually, I searched for and found the thread but am computer illiterate and can't figure how to get it to link here...)

Hang in there, ouch! Everytime I see you've posted, I expect to hear something great has happened - and it will one of these days
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 08:30
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Shadow, thanks once again for the encouragement.

I do think that I'm giving up on the possibility of changing my body though. It seems pretty simple. This WOE does not affect my weight loss.

It just isn't doing it. I feel fine...and I like eating this way. But I am not losing weight...just losing hope

O
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 08:36
Registered Member

BF:

I'm working at the journal, trying my very best to be open and let everyone know what I'm doing.

it's not going well.

no weight loss in two months now. I'm at my wits end.

for everyone who is helping in my journal, I do thank you from the bottom of my heart.

O
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Mar-30-03, 13:54

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%

Ouch, the same thing happened to me. I lost enough to be encouraged right away, and then nothing for months, but I felt so much better I just stopped worrying about it.

In fact I forgot all about the weighing in and measuring, and then low and behold a few months after being low carb I started to look in the mirror nude and notice that my body was different. Leaner. I was thinner around the waist where I NEVER lose weight.

Since I stopped paying attention I went down two clothing sizes to a 14. One thing that I am doing is taking CLA, and I think that is making a difference in my waist. My face is thinner, I don't have any carb bloating. I don't know if I have EVER been in ketosis, I don't think so. I think I keep myself from that with coffee and soft drinks, but I don't worry about it.

Sometimes your clothes shrink with you. I didn't notice so much of a different in my own clothes, but when I would try on clothes at the store I was a different size.

Sometimes my partner and I take a weekend off, and succumb to our cravings. He has lost a bunch of weight, and is often in ketosis. We have a pizza, and ice cream, and chocolate. And then, Monday we are back on. It works for us.

Usually we do that once every 2 or 3 months. We both feel good about the weight we have lost, and plan to continue doing this the rest of our lives. The little weekend "vacations" may not be for everyone, but the reason I think it works for us is that we have a structured schedule. We know that Monday morning we are back at it. that way it doesn't get to be a little here, a little there.

I think the key for me was to just not worry about it, which is a relief from all the years of fretting about my weight.

Last edited by mickster : Sun, Mar-30-03 at 14:02.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 09:53
Registered Member

BF:

interesting, mickster...thanks very much!

I'm still not noticing any darn change physically yet. darn it!

what is CLA?

O
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Mar-31-03, 11:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hey ouch,

Just checking in to see how you are doing. I'm sorry things are going so slowly. It's true that if you want to adjust something in your diet plan to see if it will help, you should do only one thing at a time. I wonder...have you every considered doing the Fat Fast?

Hang in there...we are on your side!

Isa
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 07:49
Registered Member

BF:

nope Isa, I haven't considered that?

what exactly does that consist of. I'm ready to try anything I think...with the exception of plastic surgery

O
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 153/150/120
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Ouch,

I've been meaning to write to you for quite some time now. I am having the same problems you are having. This is my 8th week and I really haven't lost anything at all. I have lost and gained 3lbs .. that is it.

I am very confused and frustrated myself. I exercise daily and I am trying very hard to lose weight and I just can't.

I know I did a few things wrong though. I didn't do enough research when I first started Atkins. I know so much more now. The first 2 weeks I really didn't follow induction like they say to. I have never cheated, but I'm not exactly sure how many carbs I was eating in the first 2 weeks. I'm guessing that is why I didn't have an initial weightloss like most people do. I'm trying very hard now to keep my carbs under 20. I do pretty good at that and I also utilize fitday.

One of my downfalls or actually it could be the main reason why I haven't lost is because occasionally I would eat peanuts and have a few mixed drinks at volleyball.

Right now, my strategy is keeping the carbs under 20, not having any drinks, and cutting back on dairy. I'm going to see if that helps at all. I am trying very hard to be patient because I used to do weight watchers and I like this way of life much better. I have witnessed some of the good things. I also believe my metabolism needs some adjusting.

I feel for you because I know how it feels. It's like .. how come everyone else loses except for us?
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 11:52

BF:

Oh yeah .. one more thing.

The FAT FAST that Isa is talking about .. I lasted 1 day. I wish I wouldn't have given up though, but the food choices are horrible .. plus I had the pressure from my boyfriend. He thought I was nuts for trying it, but that was how desperate I was.

I would almost give it another shot and stick with it. I guess you could lose up to like 8lbs in 3 days. Boy would that be nice.

You basically are eating very low calorie, very high in fat foods. You consume about 1,000 per day, but you have limited food choices and amounts. You can read about it on Atkins website.

Do you think you are going to try it??
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-03, 14:48

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 133/129/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 22%

ouch...you can read up on the Fat Fast in the Atkins book and on-line. I've never tried it, but I've read success stories on this site. Do a search and you'll probably find plenty of information and help from people who have done it.

It's just a thought.

Best regards,

Isa
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 07:16
Registered Member

BF:

mj...

thanks so much for writing. It truly is really helpful to see that there are really other people in my boat. I don't want to sink alone!

I've had time where I sort of give up, and eat a handful of peanuts or the like, and then I'll go three weeks of strict, under 20g days, with meat, veggies, eggs, fats (oils/butters/cheeses) and after three weeks, I'm still seeing no change. There's something I'm missing, and it's frustrating the hell out of me. I haven't had a drink in a month (haha, I know, that's making it sound like I'm a huge drinker!!, but seriously, I usually have a few on the weekends.).

I'll go see what the fat fast thing is all about, and be back soon!

O
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 07:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default You've got to be kidding me!!

OK dudes...I just read up on this whole "fat fast" thing.

I don't think so!

how in the world can you stay satisfied for any lenght of time, no matter if it's only for a couple of days, on THAT! haha, that's hilarious! and it just seems so wrong!

THIS is what you have to choose from?? haha, that's right folks, you don't get to eat ALL of what's listed...just 4 or 5 of these lovely choices!

one ounce of macadamia nuts or macadamia nut butter
two ounces of cream cheese or Brie
one ounce of tuna or chicken salad with two teaspoons of mayonnaise served in one-quarter of an avocado
two deviled eggs made with two teaspoons of mayonnaise
two ounces of sour cream and two tablespoons black or red caviar
two and a half ounces whipped heavy cream topped with sucralose zero-calorie syrup
two ounces of pâté (check label for fat content)
two egg yolks (hard-boiled) with one tablespoon of mayonnaise

NOW what am I going to do!??

man, this sucks.

O
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 07:29
Registered Member

BF:

Hi guys...just wanted to tell you what I've been up to.

a couple of weeks ago, someone on here suggested trying some different ab workout than what I've been doing for the last three months. They gave me a link to a workout with options, and I printed it off, and then promptly forgot about it.

I took it home from work on Monday, and tried the first 3 positions (it says to do only 3 at a time). It only took about 15 minutes, and really didn't feel like it was doing any good at all.

then I tried to get out of bed Tuesday morning, and my abs were screaming! it was awesome, it meant I actually really WAS doing something.

So I tried 3 different ones Tuesday pm and Wednesday pm, and they're really not difficult, and they don't take a long time...and my abs are hurting (A good thing! )...

so I just wanted to say thanks!

Love,
the queen of stalls
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 08:23

BF:

Hi Ouch,

That's awesome!! I do crunches everyday myself and obviously I am not doing them right. My abs never hurt.

Could you share that link with me? I'll try anything.

Thanks!!