Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 10:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/209/140
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Fibro help

I posted a message a few weeks ago about help for fibro.
Nobody has commented on it so this will be the last post that I'll put up here.
My friend has fibro very badly, is on Atkins also. The diet hasnt' helped her fibro much even with a 100 pound weight loss so far.
She's been going to a chiropractor who does the Atlas Orthogonal treatments and has experienced pain free life since then.
It all is based on that very top vertabrae that your head sits on.
If that isn't lined up nothing will work right. The rest of your vertabrae will not sit right and due to that you will each have different places where your spine is misaligned and not working properly making different symptoms. Each body will have different complaints depending on how your spine lines up with the incorrect sitting of that vertabrae.
The very first treatment my friend, Diane, said that the pain totally disappeared but nobody is interested.
see the above message to find out more if you would like.
I'm done sharing information that will help only to have it ignored.
Live with your pain if you like. As for me, I'm totally headache free and without back pain. I'm off to the Dr's office!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 08:31
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

I think many people have looked at your message, but many people are here because they can't really afford many doctor bills. Lots of insurance only allow so many adjustment visits if any at all. We're self employed with no insurance. The only way I can go to my chiro is he's a family friend and we do barter for service. I wish everyone could go to a chiropractor, I'd be more of a mess if it we're for mine. I have a chronic C2 sublexation. I can go in and it be the only thing misaligned. It just won't stay.

So don't be so hard on everyone. You put the information out there. It can be found by someone who needs it if they're looking. Don't dump bad karma on top of it by being mad because people didn't flood to respond.

Be happy you found it.

Liz

edit- see: over 500 people have looked at this message. Be glad you posted.

Last edited by m1whowaits : Tue, Jul-01-03 at 08:32.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 02:38

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I have mild fibro...morning hit with a truck feeling, odd pains that come and go, fatigue etc. I have only just begun Atkins so can't comment about is effects yet, but was on a low glycemic diet before that which was getting there...anyway, what has really helped me has been taking 5 HTP. I decided to try this because low doses of seratonin-elevating drugs (anti depressants) are known to help, and 5 HTP is a seratonin precursor. It has really helped me. I suspect that there is no one cure for everyone, but that we have to try different things- exercise of course helps it for everyone.

Val
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 04:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins For Life
Stats: 176/159.5/130 Female 5'2"
BF:Unwanted Rolls
Progress: 36%

I have not been diagnosed with FM YET but am getting physical therapy because of severe pain in my hip. The evaluation for the PT put me into bed for three days and on steroids. I couldn't believe the pain from head to toe. He told me I have all the pressure points for FM but of course he can't diagnose me because he is not a doctor. I questioned him on a physical therapy level what can I do to combat this thing they call FM. He strongly recommends eventual light weight lifting that he will teach me. I have always read weight lifting for women works well in many things. Today I start hydrotherapy for it too. I havent read anything on FM yet because it all becomes too overwhelming for me.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 17:09
Registered Member

Stats: 170/156/145 Female 5"9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Fibromyalgia

I'm new to this forum as well and am very glad to have found it.
I have had FMS for 10 years. I gave up on using anything for the pain because it was nearly useless. I have a really good shiatzu machine that I use when my muscles are at their worse. However, I started Atkins, in earnest, 2 weeks ago and have remarked to my family how great I feel. The fatique is GONE and I have minimal pain. I don't remember having this kind of energy since I was much younger. During the day, I find myself expecting to feel tired, because I always do by the middle of the day, but so far, the fatique just hasn't set in. Even when I "overdue" it with cleaning, etc. I get a bit of pain, but the exhaustion just doesn't come. I see my Dr. tomorrow and am going to tell him that he should really investigate the correlation between increased energy, decreased pain and going on a low carb diet. For me, I'm determined to make this a lifestyle, not a diet.
SherylH
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 18:06
Registered Member

What is a shiatzu machine ? Does it help?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 18:30
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Shiatzu Machine

A Shiatzu Machine is a somewhat large massager with two very strong, rotating cylinders. Mine has several massage modes and is portable. You can hold it or support it on a chair and lean back on it if you need some massaging on the back. It helps alot when the muscles have tensed and the pain is waaaay beyond annoying. I use it primarily on my neck and upper back where the pain is the worst. I sometimes have to grit my teeth as I allow the massager to "grind" into the muscles to loosen up the muscles and relieve the pain. My husband bought it for me over 5 years ago and it's been my constant companion.
Hope this description helps.
SherylH
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 07:53

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%

Hi! I did Atkins for four months, and noticed my fibro symptoms started to get worse in the last month I was on it. I switched to Schwarzbein Principle, and I have not had another flare up.

I think that in my case, the Atkins diet was too high in protein for me specifically. In the later stages of my Atkins trial, I could barely sleep, no matter what supplements I took. On Schwarzbein, I sleep like a baby, which helps a great deal, not only with the fibro, but with health in general.

I would suggest to anyone with severe fibro to give Schwarzbein a try. It has helped me tremendously. NOTE: I still think Atkins is a great plan, but for someone with adrenal issues, another plan might work better.

-Denise
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 08:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default FMS & Atkins

Denise,
I'm only going into my 4th week on Atkins and haven't experienced any flares yet. My energy is still something to marvel at. However, with my summer schedule I'm staying up much later than usual and I'm discovering it's very hard to fall asleep before 2 or 3 am. Thankfully, I have the luxury of staying in bed when I wake up. But there are life circumstances that can easily explain this. If I see this becoming a problem I will definitely check out the diet you mentioned. I've never heard of it before except seeing it mentioned in various forums. Thanks for your input!
SherylH
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:48
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%
Default fibro and pain

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 6 years ago when my job stress brought it out. I was out of work for three months on pain pills and couldn't hold my head up without severe pain. I was pretty sure that working out, ie: weight lifting and general body building, is good for this condition. Am I wrong? I am working out now and find that if I over do it, (in upper body) I get headaches and feel sick to my stomach. My fibro sits in my neck and shoulders. Can anyone give me some information on this? I want to continue the body building. My trainer says that the headaches are from not drinking enough water, but I recognize that fibro pain. Thanks all..... Joyce
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:01
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Fibromyalgia

Joyce,
With FMS, any strenuous exercise is not a good idea. Moderate exercise is good but you must learn your limits. I had found that just pushing the vacuum around for a short time would bring on a flare. Also, repetitive movements have proven to be the biggest culprit for bring on symptoms. My FMS settles in my neck and shoulders as well, and can be excrutiating. It's important to stretch your muscles regularly and do head and neck exercises. However, I've found in the 4 weeks I've been on Atkins, my energy levels are phenomenal and have nearly no pain. You also must keep in mind, that for many FMS folks, summer does bring relief to many of the symptoms. Many nutritionists who have assisted in finding relief for our suffering have been advocating, to some effect, low carb eating because the belief that unrefined carbs and sugar contribute to the symptoms.
SherylH
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:07
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sorry, I meant refined foods.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:11
Registered Member

Joyce,
I am currently getting physical therapy 3 x a week for my FM. Two of those visits are in the swimming pool. I am told by both therapists they have several FM patients who have been able to get into remission through exercise and weight lifting. For me the atkins diet has helped very much with the energy level but it also interrupts my sleep length.

The therapy in the pool is a God Send. I can't believe just being in water makes my body PAIN FREE. I recommend to anyone who can get pool therapy to take it.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Pool Therapy

Pool therapy definitely works ... again the therapists have to be knowledgeable about FMs because the water needs to be tepid. I found out the hard way. The water was alright, but they also included Heat Therapy and massage. I felt like a wrung out rag when I left and my flares grew increasingly worse.
Weight training is encouraged, again, in moderation.
The way I look at it. It's all trial and error. Unfortunately, it's discovering what you can and can't do based on your level of pain and fatique.
SherylH
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 14:29
Registered Member

Both pools work for me, 92 degrees or a 89 degree day regular pool......to each his own. What works for one might not work for another. I have been to several doctors who tell me muscle building is definately the way to go.