Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 19:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 209/179/150
BF:45.1/43.3/??
Progress: 51%

Hi RBelban,

The last entry I made was on May 21. This is a normal day for me.

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 1695
Fat: 144 1300 78%
Sat: 92 831 50%
Poly: 6 54 3%
Mono: 22 199 12%
Carbs: 21 64 4%
Fiber: 5 0 0%
Protein: 78 311 19%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%
Calorie Breakdown

Fat Carbs
Protein Alcohol
I have never had 40 grams of carbs in a day unless it was when I was out of state on vacation.
I always have enough fiber to bring the carb count down. I'm usually lucky if I get 20-25 grams of carbs. Both my husband and I eat low carb, so very easy to stay in guidelines.

I just got discouraged punching in all my food into fitday and never losing.
BevB
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 04:24
Registered Member

Plan: G I Diet
Stats: 176.5/173.2/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Talking

Hi, I am 57 and just started last week. Really great reading all your posts and I'm sure this thread is really going to help me and keep me motivated.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:23
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/196/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Hi, Everyone!

Just found this thread and have enjoyed reading all your posts.

I will be 59 in July. Started Atkins in April. Haven't lost anything for 2 weeks, but try not to get concerned. I remind myself that it took 30 years to put the weight on and it won't come off quickly. The weight I have lost so far is what I put on in the last year. I'm at a weight now where I was for years so it will take a while for that to start coming off. I have not "dieted" in years because I got tired of the "yo-yo."

This is probably strange to say but I am on this WOE because of Dr. Atkins death. My daughter mentioned his death to me and said she had been watching the infomercials and was thinking of doing Atkins. It so happened I had one of his old books. She started reading parts to me and I was shocked that he described my health situation and my carb addiction. I knew that this is what I should do. So DD and I are both on it. I gave a copy of Atkins book to DS and DDL and they started Atkins this week. I did not push them, just gave them the book and let them decide.

Another one of the things that convinced me that this WOL is the right one was Atkins description of the history of eating. People survived (without obesity) for 1000's of years on meat, vegetables, fruit, and a few grains. It has only been in the last couple of year, since refined carbs, that obesity has become a problem. I firmly believe that this is the way God intended us to eat. It is healthy!!!

I know that I feel 10 years younger. I can do more physical work in day now than I could in a week before. I can't imagine going back to eating high carbs and feeling tired, weak, short of breath, and aches and pains.

I'm sure that later I will have times of discouragement. This board has already given me a lot of encouragement. It is so nice to know that you are not alone.

Let's all hang in there and keep keepin' on! Let's remember how much healthier we all are and not obsess on the speed of the weight loss.

Later, Barb
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 06:30

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up WOW!!

Just found this thread and have been sitting here for a long time to read through it!
To start with I wanted to add myself here as it is interesting reading, but I noticed not one entry says that people are taking Atkins #3. I started taking it after I stalled after a 30 lb. weight loss. I have dropped 10 more lbs. and truly feel taking 3 X day has been a big help. So, maybe some of you will find this helpful! I hope so.
Well I am 60 years old. Started low carbing in Nov. Feel better than ever, and am SO glad to not always be thinking about food!!
I gained all my extra weight as follows: Quit cigarette smoking in 1985, that put 20 lbs. on in no time. Each year my weight kept creeping up since. There seemed to be no end to it. Then one day I stepped on the scale, (which I hadn't done much), and my eyeballs almost fell out of my head......I couldn't believe what I saw!! And I mean I was SHOCKED!! It was a real reality check for me!
Well I had even spent a winter as a vegetarian and no weight loss, but I love fruits & veggies, so the eating was good tho..lol. So at this point I figured I better do something different, totally than I had ever done. So here I am today and it is the best thing I have ever done for myself!! I feel so much better, look better, and the BIG reward was I no longer am on BP meds. Ta Daa!!
Spent a lot of time sitting at puter here , have to get off now, but will check back soon.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 09:56

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 325.4/228/175 Female 5'7
BF:mostly!
Progress: 65%

Hello everyone!!
It has been a long time since I posted, and I will tell you why. I hit a long plateau,,and read in the book where Doc says to do a different plan for a few days. Well,,I just spent a month on Weight Watchers.......let me tell you my expereince!
The first week I lost about 6 pounds....but then the cravings set in!! I couldnt say no to anything,,,,,,ice cream (even tho it was low fat), cereal was a real downfall,,,bananas....bread.....potatoes. Then came the hunger,,,I was hungry all the time,,,and nothing satisfied!! I would watch my husband eat a big steak,,and there I was with 5 ounces and trying to count points,,(I got 28 a day,,and the steak is ten!!) Then an interesting development.,..I started holding water,,,,my feet and ankles swelled,,,and I remembered,,,if you are a TRUE carb addict,,,that happens with carb overload!! Then we went out to eat with a couple we have known for years,,I noticed they had lost weight and asked them what they were doing, They said "Atkins" and told me that I had been their inspiration with the almost 50 pounds I had lost in a year!!! Wow!! I felt like that was the moment of truth!! So, last night, when my DH came home,,,I said,,okay heres the plan,,,lets go eat chinese because in the morning its Atkins for life!!! He just grinned at me,,he knew I would eventually come back!! So,,this morning I had a couple small pieces of Muenster cheese,,,,, I am never hungry in the morrning,,,,,,and we will see what happens this week. Anyway,,,,the prodigal has returned!!!! Glad to see the thread still going!! I am excited and motivated all over again!! My daughter Jackie is doing it and has lost 16 pounds in three weeks,,,so I have another buddy besides my online ones.
I cant wait to see how I do this time......

CYA lighter
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 10:15

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Thumbs up musicmama

I'm sure you will do great.....just as you have loosing the 50 lbs. before!! I agree that carbs certainly add to fluid retainment. I take RX of diuretics, and even they don't work if the carb count is high......yikes!!, huh!! Another nice thing is that that constant hunger from the other diet you tried will be gone. Never need to be hungry on Atkins, if you are you just eat.
Well good luck!
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 22:13

Thanks for the encouraging words, edie.......
Well,,one day past an down 2 pounds of the water weight...I know it will be more in the morning,,cause I have been drinking water and pottying all day!! But thats okay!!
I already feel better,,,,and not hungry> i think that was the worst part,,,,,craving!!! Its not worth it!!
I have decided that I am gonna take one day a week and eat,,,in moderation,,cabs,,,,my friends and daughter are doing that and they say it keeps you from going into a stall,,,,,,we shall see. I am drinking lemon in my water too,,,figure thats better than all the diet pop.
Welllll.... be back tomorrow with a good report!!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 22:44

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Hello Musicmama,

My goodness, I read and re-read your post over and over.

I am so happy to know that I wasn't the only one that didn't do well at WW. I was on their program for over a year. The first week I lost 11 lbs. Then the next few weeks were ok, but then hunger and cravings would set in.

Like you, I couldn't control cereal, low fat ice cream or low fat anything else. So I stuck around losing and gaining the same 50 lbs for almost a year.

Then I took that carb addiction test at the Atkins site. I was truly a carb/sugar addict. Tomorrow is 8 weeks on Induction. I am down 20 lbs. and the cravings are almost gone or at least controllable. I don't get hungry 20 mins. after a meal. And I don't have to take fluid pills anymore. My lipid profile after only 8 weeks was sooo good, that my dr. thought it unbelievable.

I am 59, am hypothyroid (take natural Armour), have fibro and arthritis. And I can lose weight!!! I can't wait to start swimming to see how much more excercise will help.

I was wondering where the oldies, but goodies, posted. Glad to have found you all.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 23:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Dear musicmama,

A great big warm

WELCOME HOME

Next time you stall, post about it. People will try to help you. I got my stall sorted out with the help of fitday.com

You record everything you eat and can make adjustments until you start losing again.

Good luck,

Robert (53)
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 23:27

Thanks, RB...I will do that!
As a matter of fact,,,,,and to be honest,,,I had posted about the stall I was going through,,,and got several replies...like cutting down on pop,,,drinking more water,,,,,,cutting back on dairy...but I thought,,oh,,,those things arent what is causing this stall,,,that doesnt apply to me,,,,,,,welllllll.....I really think I just didnt want to give up the stuff I enjoy,,and I hate water!!
However,,,,today I have had about 90 ounces,,,and plan on keeping to that much at least every day....I got up this morning,,,down 2 more pounds!!! Got to change my stats for the first time in a long time!!!
Also noticed more energy again,,,and my aches and pains are better...wasnt hungry,,,,,it feels so good to be back!!!
I am gonna look up some good recipes so I dont get in a rut eating the same stuff. My DH went grocery shopping tonight and bought me plenty of protein,,veggies,,cheese and water. He is so supportive of me.
I am going back to fitday too,,,,thanks for the reminder!!
Cya tomorrow with another good report!!!
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 16:27
Contributing Member

BF:

Musicmamma:
I like your signature line. That's what keeps me going. Your experience going off LC helps remind me why I'm doing this WOE.

I feel so good on this WOE but the cravings have come back this week. I had a couple of days that I ate all legal foods, just ate way too much. Carbs and calories were way up but luckily had no gain. I feel like I have been in a stall, having lost 21 lbs on induction, and only 4 lbs since then. But I guess 4 lbs in 4 weeks is good.

I have a friend who started Atkins 2 weeks after me and she has not lost anything. I can find nothing wrong with what she's eating but no loss of either pounds or inches. It's a mystery. I don't think she is in ketosis either. Is it possible to eat LC under 20 carbs and not be in ketosis??? Anybody know?

So I guess I should count my blessings. I'm playing Canasta tonight with some friends who are in their 80s and needed another player. They always have a delicious carby lunch and always try to push it on me but I take my celery and cream cheese or nuts and just ignore their desserts. They think my WOE is unhealthy but they do admit that I'm looking good!!!

Onward and DOWNWARD!
Barb
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 00:09

Hi SD......oh can I relate to the friends who think your WOE is unhealthy!! I have three friends at work who feel the same about the three of us that are LC'ing. They check everyday to see what we are eating,,,and mention again how unhealthy it is,,,,all that fat!!! They eat their lo w fat and lo cal stuff...but ya know what,,,,they still look the same!! Meanwhile the rest of us are looking thinner all the time!!
I am losing inches again. I havent weighed in the last few days,,,but last night at church a couple friends told me how skinny I was looking. One even said I made her sick!! I told her she ought to try it.
I have really been drinking the water too,,,,I have visited the bathroom more in the last week than i have in a long time. Made it a point when we go out to drink water with lemon,,,,and last night the waiter filled my glass six times!! hehe
There is a gospel singer (I work in the music department of a large Christian Bookstore, thats how i know this) named Vickie Winans,,,who has always been a large woman. Well, her new cd came out and she is tiny!! I read the article on her in a magazine,,,she said she did Atkins and lost 75 pounds!! Said she did it once and lost 30,,then did it again and lost 30 more,,,then again and lost the rest!! I was tickled to learn that she LC'd!! Another singer,,Karen Clark was large also,,and she had the bypass surgery to lose weight...she almost died. But she has lost a lot now. Someone told me it takes more discipline after that surgery than it did before because you can only eat a few ounces at a time,or its dangerous, I thank God for the Atkins plan!!! I feel like it is a life saver!!
Well,,,,its off to bed,,,looking forward to another LC day tomorrow. Have a great Sunday!!!
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 06:23
Contributing Member

BF:
Default Hurrah!

Guess what? The scale was down another 2# this morning! That is after a bad day. Was craving food all day yesterday and give in. Ate all legal foods but too much. Net carbs were 30 but calories over 2300. My last 2# loss followed a bad day so maybe I am finding a pattern here. I've heard others talk about a 'refeeding' day. Maybe this stimulates my metabolism.

MusicMamma...
You work in a Christian book store. How terrific! That would be a dream job for me. I devour Christian books. I lead a Bible study that meets at a Christian book store and I never come home empty handed! I have enough reading material for the next year. Just need more time!!

Today I have vowed to be very strict with my eating and to EXERCISE. I really need the exercise. I spend so much time in my office just sitting. Think I'll drive out to the State Park this afternoon and walk the hills.

Just one day at a time,
Barb
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 14:34

Hurray!!! Glad about the loss!!! That always makes ya smile!!
Yes,,the bookstore is great, I have been there for ten years,,and they let us bring home books and read em,,,especially me as I am a fast reader,,a book in an evening usually. I have read all the Left Behind books,, have you read any Dee Henderson??? She is our tope seller .....great fiction!!! Now I am into sewing so I havent been taking the time to read. I am really into music,,,I was the music dept manager for 6 years,,then left, but missed it so much I went back as the asst. I get a lot of free music that way!!! I have met all the artists personally several times,,,that was fun.
I have been really drinking the water!!I have a 44 oz jug and I just keep filling it! Not even intersted in the pop, at least right now. Wanna get this weight moving!!!
I am gonna go check out some recipes.....will check in later.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 04:28
Contributing Member

BF:

MusicMamma...
What are your favorite recipes? I've collected quite a few from this site and others but haven't made many of them yet. I don't take the time to prepare and I have to cook 'normal' meals for DH. I'm a last minute cook. Just make sure I take meat from freezer for the next day.

Not really into fiction. Too much good nonfiction to read and learn from. I always head for the Christian Living or Bible study sections. I've always loved Southern Gospel, but we have a young pastor who is giving me an appreciation for contemporary music. Do you have a favorite artist? The Gaither Homecoming is coming to SD in October and I'm excited! We don't get many Christian artists here.

Keep the faith,
Barb