Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 11:07

Plan: TSP
Stats: 147/147/135 Female 5'2"
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 54%

E4Ellie, I grew up close to the south, and know about 'sweet tea.' To me it can be close by using 2 qts of strong decaf tea sweetened with about 2 'scoops '(about 2 1/8 spoons & stir it in while hot ) of Sweet Leaf Stevia by Wisdom Herbs. Of course you have to like Stevia as a sweetener. I think this is highly individual as to whether one finds Stevia palatable or not. But I really like this brand over others I have tried. Have you tried any of them ? Stevia is approved by Dr. S.

Welcome to the bd. and I hope you get over your virus.

Reading labels is a great start to the plan. I cannot give any advice on learning to like brown rice (I always have thought the flavor to be superior) except maybe just using it and you dh will come to appreciate it!? Also maybe he if he pays attention to such things ( mine doesn't -- he just eats what is in front of him or not ) he may want to read the nutritional panels and comparre the differences -- brown wins there everytime.

angelrose, your message showed up just fine

puppetlady, I know what you mean about returning to fruit. The last several yrs. of trying to low carb I had followed Suzanne Somers, and tried Sugarbusters for a little bit and they all ban higher gi fruits like bannanas and potatoes --at all. When I started TSP and ate a half of bannana and 1/2 of potato for the first time in years it was delicious I do not include them a lot anyway but I do think fruit has vitamins that get into your system a little better than with supplements alone.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 15:47

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 169/154/150
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default :wave: Hi Everyone - great reading this feedback!

E4ellie:
What I did with my husband, who is also a meat and potatoes man, was, I asked him to please read TSP book. We were away in Ontario visiting relatives and I flew back, while he choose to drive back to BC. I read TSP on the plane. I was (and still am) sooooooo excited. Dr. S's WOE just made so much sense - it is/was like "the missing link" I had been searching for. I too tried WW and low-fat and was very discouraged with my no weight loss and how I felt and how food just didn't taste any good.

Hubby had high cholesterol and I wanted him off the pills so we could try and manage it with diet. When we spoke on the telephone after I was back in BC, I told him how impressed I was with the book and asked him, as a favour to me, if he'd read it. He agreed (which was unusual). I told him that no matter what he choose to do, I was adopting this WOE. He read the book from cover to cover, agreed it made sense and we've been eating this way ever since. I feel GREAT - have lost weight - have more energy and I can FINALLLLLLLY see a difference in my body from my gym workouts. Possibly you can ask your husband to read the book and if he agrees, it may be easier to change his WOE.

AmieK: Thanks for getting things going again!
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:42
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Cool Right On!!!

I am so JAZZED that all you great Schwarzbeiners have shown up!

Thank all of YOU for showing up!!!

It wouldn't be much of a PARTY with just me!

PARTY ON!!!
amieK

#19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:52
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hey rosarugosa - Sure is nice to have you here! I've noticed you've been one of the more active Schwarzbeiners on the board.

I think you have a point about Schwarzbein being a less complicated plan. My body loves eating all natural foods.

I confess I've gotten impatient with the rate of weight loss though. I tried Atkins and PP because I am in awe of the progress some people have made on those plans. But within days I was battling HUGE UGLY MONSTER carb cravings. And I caved....

I think I have serotonin issues. Because Schwarzbein is less restrictive and I can have a piece of fruit when I *feel* I need it, the carb cravings are kept at bay. I feel more balanced and in control.

But in order to lose weight, I gotta get off my butt and move!!!

Catcha l8r,
amie
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 17:59
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile

Hi! workinmom - glad you could join the party!!

Sounds like you have an awesome chiro. We just moved to this community 4 months ago but I've found a wonderful alternative health minded chiro as well. You've inspired me to turn her on to TSP. I hope that in the next few months I shall make such spectacular progress that she'll be asking me what I've been doing!

ttfn,
amie
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:08
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Welcome aboard! angelarose

I'm not much of a techie (now that's an understatement! ), but I'll try to help or direct you to somebody who can. Maybe you could explain the problem in more detail.

I've gotten very frustrated after typing up an erudite and articulate post (yeah right! ), only to hit Submit Reply and have it all disappear into the yawning void of cyberspace. Now everytime I finish typing a post I hit Ctrl A then Ctrl C before I hit Submit Reply. That way if the boards are too busy to accept my post I can save it somewhere else to post again later.

I don't know if this was your problem angelrose but I hope this helps (HTH).

Come back again soon!
amie
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:14
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Smile

puppetlady -

I like your nickname!

It's been a slow process but my metabolism has been healing through Schwarzbeining. My Low Fat, High Carb days left me sick and tired as well.

It sure would be nice to regain the vitality we had as children!!! We will! We will!

Glad you joined the party!
amieK
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:29
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

E4ellie -

Hope you're feeling better soon! Hopefully you're able to spend some of your downtime reading. I hate it when I'm sick and my head aches so I can't read. It does take time to unlearn all the low fat propaganda we've all been bombarded with.

I wish you all the best trying to convert your husband. I made a valiant effort to switch the family to brown rice. My DH (Dear Husband for you newbies) was OK with it but the young'uns kicked up such a fuss it wasn't worth it so we went back to white. But I do use Basmati rice which is lower on the glycemic index and therefore wreaks less havoc on the blood sugar. I just have really small servings, usually less than 1/4 cup while everybody else has the usual. My DH doesn't care for potatoes anymore than I do but I make them for the kids occasionally.

I agree with CaroleSP that the TSP cookbook would be a good investment. My DH loves the food I've been making from the TSP recipes.

Hope to see you here again real soon!
amie
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:32
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

CaroleSP -

So glad you're still here at the party!

That's the only way we'll keep it going, is if people stick around!

ciao bella!
amie
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 18:43
amieK

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Suni -

Way to go! You got your husband to read TSP!!! He read it and is joining you in this WOE (Way Of Eating). Don't know the man but I'd say he's definitely a keeper!

Hope you're gonna make him a nice heartshaped meatloaf for Valentine's Day! LOL

Actually, I have adapted my favourite cheesecake recipe and used a combo of stevia, honey and sucanat for sweetener. It's not terribly LC but I kept the sweetener to a minimum so I think it would be OK for a Valentine's treat, as long as it's shared with the family. I will try to post the recipe on this board later tonight.

Bye 4 now,
amie
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 07:15
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 221/221/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can anyone point me to online recipes for SP?

Thanks
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-25-03, 21:58

Plan: Schwarbein Principle
Stats: 135/133/125
BF:
Progress: 20%

amieK
Thanks for your response in helping me with submitting replies and their getting where they're supposed to. I'm getting the hang of it all, but what exactly is a thread? This is almost as much of a challenge to understand as it is to not eat chocolate or too much bread!!!
Thanks, angela
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 17:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 130/126.5/113
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default new convert

hi everyone! i just switched over to schwarzbein from PP, and before that Atkins. i've only been doing it since the weekend, but the biggest difference for me in starting this program is that i haven't felt smaller - in fact, i feel huge and totally bloated. (besides the fact that my pants don't fit, though, i feel great and my body clearly feels that this program is a lot healthier than the previous ones.)

i don't have that much weight to lose, and i don't think i've damaged my metabolism much - i'm young and was never into dieting until just this past fall, when i started low-carbing. i just want an idea of how long this might last in my case.... and i want to make sure it's not because i'm gorging myself or anything! (i definitely feel satisfied much more easily now, and i don't ever get ravenous or shaky between meals, which happened a lot on PP.)

okay, enough of my rambling - so far i give TSP a but i am a little concerned about not being comfortable in any of my clothes...

thanks so much for any feedback or suggestions! i look forward to finding some support for this program on the board.

-jen
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 21:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/ultra low carb
Stats: 265/202/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hi all! I have been around for awhile but do not have time to post alot. I have been on SP for 6 months, took a hiatus and tried CAD/Atkins and PP but SP is where I am back to and staying. The others just were not my cup of tea for one reason or the other. I have an appointment next week with a physician who is reportedly the best in our state for thyroid and hormone help and he does saliva testing so I am really excited! I know there is something wrong with my metabolism so hopefully he will be able to offer me some assistance.
Glad to see some support on this board from so many nice people. Let's keep it up and I hopefully will be able to post on a little more frequent basis also.

Jacque
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 22:14

Plan: moderate - BFing
Stats: 247.5/195/150 Female 66 inches
BF:preg/curr/goal
Progress: 54%
Default hey, what happened to the activity?

Hello...just stopping in the Schwarzbein group, and it looks a bit inactive. I suppose that a lot more people are doing Atkins and Protein Power!

I haven't decided to follow any particular plan, but I am now reading TSP. I read this interview:
http://www.bookwire.com/bookwire/Me...chwarzbein.html

In it, she said that the original book/diet was not intended for everyone. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to tell if I am in the target audience or not. I haven't seen the second book at all. What is it like? How are the diet recommendations different?

I guess at the present, I'm following bits and pieces of TSP, Atkins and Dr. Weil's books. I also plan on reading the Go-Diet. I like the yogurt aspect. As I understand it, it is very anti-saturated fats though. Since I am definitely eating plenty of sat fat, TSP is probably the closest to my current WOE.

I'm rambling! Anyway, I hope some veteren Schwarzbeiners (heh) will give input on the various levels espoused by Dr. Schwarzbein.