Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 01:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 137/132/115
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile Any Israeli LCers out there?

Not sure where to post this one so I will put it here.

I hate to repeat what I have read is said over and over again but I must - this forum is amazing. I have been having such problems sticking to the LC diet and after finding this site - my mind just doesn't let me think carbs at all... Thanks everyone!

I am looking for more LCers that live in Israel. I haven't been able to find ANY LC stuff here in any of the stores and maybe someone out there can help me. I would love to make the faux bake mix or other things but don't know where to find soy powder or flax etc. The only thing I have found is soy flour. Health food stores just send me looking at protein bars etc but they all have sugar and tons of carbs.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 07:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Soy flour is not a bad choice, if that's what you've got available. Ask at the health food store for some kind of natural laxative to replace the flaxseed oil/meal. As for bars, there is at least one recipe on this website that tells how to make a home version of a food bar. Good luck! I hope you manage to find what you need.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 07:57
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hello -

My best friend is lcing and lives in Malvern, PA ... USA but is from Herzilya. She isn't on this forum though... she is not as obsessed as myself.

I missed the Henna but was there visiting for her wedding last March! We went to Eilat for the honeymoon! Great time!

I understand having a hard time lc ing in Isreal.... my gosh the food is great! I never had better olives or hummus in my life! In fact everyday at noonish while we were there my hubby (who isn't Jewish mind you) kept saying to us all "isn't it hummus time yet"???
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Cool Yo, Teach!

As one who dwells in the hinterland of flyover country, I have some appreciation for what you are saying. We make a run to the city once a month to stock up on low carb food and supplements, and we are exploring using the internet to order some things.

But, the good news is that we have been more successful at this WOE because we have to plan and cook for ourselves, rather than relying upon ready made goodies, IMO.

There are great recipes on this site, and on the Atkins site, and we have two hard copy low carb recipes. Dr. Atkin's latest book and one other.

My wife has been marvelous in finding and adapting cheese cake, pie, cookie and ice cream recipes. And the only thing from the store has been soy flour and almond flour. You could make the almond flour yourself, if you can get the whole almonds. More important than the baking mixes is having lots of cream cheese, heavy cream, eggs, Splenda and the ability to cook.

She makes a dynamite pumpkin pie, with nut crust, and her biscotti are every bit as good as the ones with sugar and flour in them. All very low carb and also satisfying.

For those who can cook for themselves, I think that the bars and the bake mixes are actually a negative influence on successful LCing.

YMMV!

Keep on, keepn' on!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 00:46
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replies... truth is that I agree with all of you - it is better to do the cooking yourself than relying on ready made things. Some of the recipes that sound good do include things like bake mixes and stuff and I thought it would be much easier to have than having to buy (with 3 kids under the age of 2 1/2 anything is easier when it is ready made for you).

I will check out more possibilities before giving up the search and also try using almond flour and sticking with the soy.

JFYI - wwdimmitt, you live in my old neck of the woods - I was born and raised in Denver. Nothing is as beautiful as Colorado!

As far as Israeli food - yes it is amazing and I do miss humus loads but I was never really into falafel. But the real thing I miss is the AMAZING bread they have here - fresh everyday.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-03, 07:31

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yes, there is now. In J-m.
danny
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 00:56
Registered Member

BF:

Hey danny - I am in Jerusalem as well.... I am on another LC group list and it seems there are more LCers out there as well. And I got some great advice as far as LC things here. But nothing like they have in the US.

Are you new to LCing or just to the list? Have you found any good LC products?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 00:39

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Teach,
Just new to the list. I low carbed many years ago and recently.
It went much better before I discovered computer lists and bbds, I ate only food not lc "treats". The best quote I have found is "The road to hell is paved with good imitations".

Have you found protein powder and flax seed yet ?

there is a "kosher low carb" list with a bunch of Israelis on it.

Happy (lc) purim

danny
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 01:10
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-neanderthin-"my way"
Stats: 140/124/124 Female 1.68 cm
BF:20.5%
Progress: 100%

Hi teach!!!
I'm from Hertzeliah!!!
I've got the recipe for Atkins bake mix, and I bought everything at the Nitan ha Dudevan, (you heard of it?)
I've been cooking low carb for months already, and my whole family enjoys it soo much...
I'll look it up and post for you...
Have fun
mamasita
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 01:34
Contributing Member

here's the recipe I promised you

i make my own bake mix- so much cheaper
1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protien isolate
2 tablespoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons splenda
- mix and store in a container -same as the 'real stuff'
another recipe i have for this mix is esentially the same but you cut in 2 to 3 tablespoons of shortening- i got both of these from Carb-Lite.
servings 10, per serve 37 calories, 2gr fat, 3gr protien, 3gr carbs, 1gr dietary fiber, 969mg sodium. (these counts are w/out the shortening.
Happy cooking!

As I told you I bought everything in a Health food store...The isolate you have to look for it where they sell the stuff for the body builders...
Later
mamasita
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 06:42
Contributing Member

Hi!!
Saw that you checked out my journal... well to answer your questions...
I've been Lcing since Febuary, did Atkins, but it was really hard for me... I ate to much cheese, and all those sweets things you can make low carb, with heavy cream... well this wasn't good for me, I was too obsessed with food and sweets.
Oh my God I had these cravings!!!!
Well, I did it for a month and saw that it wasn't the way for me...
read Protein Power, and it did catch me either... but then I read Neanderthin, and that made more sense to me...
So I started, and I like it very much, but to tell you the truth...
sometimes it just takes a long time for your body to get used to this way of eating, and then all of a sudden you realize, that it's great. I'm not gonna tell you that sometimes i feel like eating chocolate or other things, but if i do, i eat so much less than i use to.
As I'm neanderthin, for munchies, I can eat nuts and dried fruit, but I've droped it as I've stalled... so I have salami, or cold meat,
or an egg...But with Atkins, you have so many choices...
If you go to the Dudevan place buy the things to make Atkins bake mix, so you can make some of the recipes they have, and look around there might be other things worth getting...
Let me know if you have any other questions, you have a journal?
I want to check it out...
Well, have a good week, talk to you soon,
mamasita
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 14:44
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Default another jerusalemite...

Hi guys,

I'm also in Jerusalem (from England originally), and been LCing for over a year now. Did CAD for about 8 months and lost a lot of weight, then plateaud and coasted on it for another few months, then decided it was too easy to binge on it and I needed to keep losing so for the last 3 or 4 weeks I've started a more restricted diet - keeping carbs to under 60g a day, and sometimes less, and other than some challah on shabbat occasionally, all those carbs are from vegetables etc, not from 'real' carbs. And it's started working again... have lost 9lbs in the last few weeks, so I'm really happy.

Do any of you know addresses for health stores in Yerushalayim that stock stuff we could use? I've never seen any protein bars etc and I did take a look at shipping stuff in, but it was horrendously expensive. Also I was wondering whether it's kosher.

I tend to stick to pure foods - chicken, meat, eggs, cheese, fish and veg. At least the variety and cost of kosher meat and chicken is better here! I do get some of the lower carb cold meats as 'easy food' and there's a purple cabbage salad by shamir that's only 0.5g of carbs per 100g - put that with cold meats and you've got an instant and yummy meal.

Anyway, nice to see other Israelis on the board.

Layla tov le-kulam!

Deborah
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:11
Contributing Member

Default low carb things

Hi Debmeg:
I'm from Hertzeliah, so I don't know about stores in Jerusalem...
I'm sure they have a Nitzat Ha Dudevan there where you can get
Stuff for baking and I buy these little munchies, that are made with sesame seeds or sunflower seeds, they're only like 0.30gr
of carbs for piece and they're yummy
Well,have a good week!!!!
Lehit!!
mamasita
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 04:59

Plan: somersizing
Stats: 150/135/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 75%

hi....Im new to this board, great to see that there are a few others out there from israel. I have been low carbing now for about 3 months and have lost about 15 pounds. I find it very diffcult to find low carb products here in Israel so 'm always searching for new recipes. Happy new year
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-29-03, 05:08
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:

Shana Tova to everyone, and here's to renewed commitment to low carb for the new year...

By the way, my sister found a good protein shake in Superpharm in Bet Shemesh. I haven't found it in Jerusalem yet, but it's called 'Protein Plus' and only has 5g of carbs per serving for the vanilla flavour. Only catch is it's horrendously expensive - about 279 shekel for a container that supposedly has about 15 servings...

Deborah