Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 16:24
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%
Question Omelet Ideas????

I just love a big omelet on the weekends......We love to take steak-um's (list you'd use for Philly Steak Sandwich), grill with onions and lots of mushrooms, add Swiss and Cheddar Cheeses and use as our omelet filling......this is a treat!!! Give it a try!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/340/186
BF:
Progress: 6%

Philly cheese steak omelet sounds incredible. I used to live on cheesesteaks when I lived in Philadelphia, but it never occured to me to use them for an omlet filling. Excellent idea The only thing I might have to change is the amount of onions. Since I'm still doing induction I have to cut back on the onions to just a pinch of the frozen diced onions I keep in the freezer to season foods. So it won't be authentic; still, it sounds great.

Since I started Atkins I have had two omelets. One with pork roll and cheese. which might be a regional type of pork salami. The other with foremost kosher franks cut into small pieces. Both were pretty good, but I have to think that neither will be as good as the steak omelet.

Off to the store tonight, and on the menu for dinner tomorrow.

Thanks

slowday
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: General LC
Stats: 235/218/150
BF:
Progress: 20%

i make omelets with sausage, bacon, onions, green peppers and cheese. or i just mix it all up in scrambled eggs. ham is good in there too.

as a matter of fact im making omelets for dinner!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 11:48

Stats: 145/145/130
BF:
Progress: 0%

On the weekends my husband makes aus a great omelette with cream cheese, green olives, and bacon. And he made up this recipe pre-Atkins!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 00:46

Stats: 237/178/150 Female 5 feet, 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Funny I stumbled upon this thread - I had an omelette for breakfast today and I NEVER have omelettes. (I love them, but I used to suck at keeping them in one piece. I've learned to lower the heat and it works out!

Today's omelette: spinach, shredded marble cheese, 2 slices of thin-sliced corn beef luncheon meat and a dab of hollandaise (sp?) OMG!!!!!! Heck ya, I'll do that again!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 21:03

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Post pizza omelet

My kids and DH loved it!!

Inside the omelet goes pizza sauce, pepperoni, olives, bell pepper, and of course cheese.

It's really good
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 21:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Avocado, cream cheese, Jack cheese and salsa!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 20:24

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have become the omlette queen. Just about anything you can think of goes into omlette's in my house....LOL

Mexican- ground beef with onions, peppers, celery, mushrooms, seasonings, topped with salsa and sour cream

Greek- feta cheese with onion, green pepper, cucumber and tomato, greek spice

Vegetarian- with any left over veggies I happen to have...LOVE the asparagus ones

Basically, I will put anything in there, ham, bacon, sausage, pieces of any kind of left over meat, chicken, pork, roast, all kinds of cheeses, veggies. The lists are endless and paired with a nice salad, it makes a meal for anytime, not just for breakfast!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 05:17

Stats: 232/217/185
BF:
Progress: 32%

Eggplant, basil, tomato & bacon with eggs, topped with grated romano cheese (I baked a large eggplant in the oven, peeled it & keep it in the fridge to add to things).
Just little bits of low carb foods make an omelet taste so yummy.

But I tend to put too many different things in the mix each time then they all seem the same, and boredom is my greatest danger! So planning to be more subtle & try drawing out the flavour of one or two items in the omelet using herbs & spices & unusual combinations.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 06:41

Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Asparagus and mushrooms with very old cheddar....or shrimps with cream cheese....

.....or, if I'm looking for something sweet, I add a spoonful of Splenda to the eggs, then sprinkle a few slivered almonds on the omelette before adding the cream cheese. Serve with a few strawberries on the side.

Who'd a thought I could replace chocolate with eggs as my snack of choice?

judy

Last edited by jude : Fri, Apr-18-03 at 06:46.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 07:29
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

- sliced mushrooms sautéed with a little finely minced onion or a shallot in butter, plus shredded swiss

- baby spinach and minced white part from green onions lightly sautéed in butter or olive oil, then an ounce or two of soft goat cheese (could use plain cream cheese) .. stir and heat till very creamy. Fill omelet with this mixture, sprinkle top with minced green onion tops

Thanks for the eggplant idea

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 21:11

Stats: 234/245/145 Female 5'7"
BF:99%I'm pretty sure
Progress: -12%

This thread is making me hungry. mmmmmmmm.
I have started eating my scrambled eggs with green chile enchilada sauce monterey jack cheese on it. Deeelish! It's kind of runny to use as a filling for an omlette. I can't wait to try the pizza omlette.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-06-03, 11:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/191/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:TOO/Mu/ch
Progress: 14%
Default yummy omlette!

I love eggs and here's one of my main breakfast omlettes very easy and quick. I usually make this in a small skillet, maybe 6 inch.
Just enough for one!!!!

1/2 quartered and chopped zuchinni, ~1/4 cup
2 THIN slices onion, maybe a tablespoon
olive oil
2 eggs

I put the oil in the pan over med/high heat, saute the onion and then add zucchini, get a nice color on the zuchinni, add some salt, then throw a lid on the pan and let steam on med/low for about three minutes. In a cup, I beat two eggs with a fork, just to mix them up, then I lift the lid in the zuchinni/onion mix and pour it in the pan. I add another little pinch of salt here and put the lid back on. Let it go for about 2-3 minutes then flip. The bottom will be a nice light gold with the pieces of zucchini and onion a bit darker gold/brown. I leave the lid off, let it go on the other side just for a about a minute, maybe less....and slide it on a plate. I top mine with a sprinkle of fresh grated parm cheese and a dollop of sour cream. YUM!
Hope you like....I DO!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-04, 15:19

Plan: dr clarks
Stats: 210/183/168 Female 5 ft 10inches
BF:43%
Progress: 64%

all these posts sound great but I couldnt possible stomach any of these at 7am (least have the time) I work full time and I am struggling on breakfast! please any one any ideas for me for a quick breaky??? I can't muster eggs and ham in the mornings I am sick of the sight of it. I need something quick and easy or something I can take in the office and eat around 10 when I feel hungry. I am back on the induction! any ideas to my journal I d be truly grateful thanks x
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 04:30

Plan: my own
Stats: 260/260/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

My favourite (which might sound a bit wierd...) is made with 3 eggs. I fry up a tin of mackerel fillets with black olives, mushrooms and a chopped red chilli. when all that is nicely done pour in the eggs. FANTASTIC!