Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 14:20

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 230/230/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

Hi again...This diet stuff is hard...and I dont know if its just paranoia but I think my neck is getting worse.....im so scared...I am excersising more now so hopefully that will help, I also try to eat healthy but that is really hard but as long as I have will power right? Does anyone have any ideas or could they tell me how the got through the eating parts of their diet? I feel so guilty when I eat.....but I die of hunger when I dont eat.....Let me know is you have any ideas....
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Sun, Jan-08-06, 15:43

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%

My family is VERY supportive in this. I have stopped taking my meds because they are causing other problems in my body. The diet is hard, but if you address each day and each instance as a mini trial or mini success instead of the whole battle it gets easier. If you fail once, move past and try again. Don't beat yourself up for wanting a treat; give yourself a pep talk and pat yourself on the back each time you succeed. No guilt!!! Try different hings to satiate the hunger. I bought a book, "Syndrome X" that made it easier because it provided snack ideas that would not hurt the diet. I ate so much protein that I was never hungry...really. We made our own jerky at home so I could make flavors I liked without the extra sodium. Make it fun. I eat eggs in the morning with soy cheese and spices or onions, peppers, and sausage. Lunch is usually chicken salad, or I make steak hamburger patties with cheese and onions or mushrooms, dinner is any large piece of protein (beef, poultry, or fish) and a huge pile of broccoli or green beans. Spice them up differently, with a protein based sauce (milk, cheese, etc) or onions, garlic, etc. You can slice the beef into small strips to make beef and broccoli stir-fry. Don't be afraid of the protein, indulg until you feel full.
Like I said though, if you slip up, don't beat yourself up, just move on to try to do better. GOOD LUCK!!!!
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 00:51

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 262/184/140 Female 5'6"
BF:?/32%
Progress: 64%

Hi, I have lost 70lbs this year (2005) and my acanthosis seems to have been aggravated, but only under my armpits. Now I have really red patches that itch real bad. I am a low carber, exerciser, and am taking glucophage. Does anybody have any clues?
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 09:29

Plan: south beach
Stats: 262/245/134 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

OMG, I was looking for a site that would talk about this and here it is. So too much sugar in your diet causes it?
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 10:30

Plan: SB,FFP
Stats: 239.4/239.4/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Default An

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenely
OMG, I was looking for a site that would talk about this and here it is. So too much sugar in your diet causes it?

the dr explained it to me that I am insulin resistant.....the insulin in my blood isnt being used correctly by my body and it "spills out" into my body....causing the AN
here is a good article I found on it........

Acanthosis Nigricans - Causes, Symptoms And Treatment of Acanthosis Nigricans

What is Acanthosis Nigricans?

Acanthosis nigricans is a disorder that causes light-brown-to-black, velvety, rough areas or increased skin markings usually on the back, sides of the neck and under the arms or in the groin. Acanthosis nigricans is a disorder that may begin at any age and usually being of overweight.

Acanthosis nigricans may begin at any age. Acanthosis nigricans can affect otherwise healthy people, or it can be associated with medical problems. Some cases are genetically inherited. It is most common among people of African descent.

What are the causes of Acanthosis Nigricans?

The exact cause of this acanthosis nigricans is unknown. Although several possibilities have been suggested for the causes of acanthosis nigricans are : -
  • Addison disease, which is caused by a deficiency of hormones from the adrenal gland.
  • Acanthosis nigricans is most often associated with being overweight.
  • Eating too much of the wrong foods, especially starches and sugars, raises insulin levels.
  • It can be a genetic (inherited) condition. When inherited, it is not considered dangerous.
  • It may be associated with diabetes cancer and certain drugs.
What are the signs and symptoms Acanthosis nigricans?

Acanthosis nigricans usually appears slowly and doesn't cause any symptoms other than skin changes.The following symptoms are observed in case of Acanthosis nigricans skin disorder -
  • The skin is darker and thicker in certain areas. These areas may be light-brown to black in color.
  • Itch, painless area of darkened, slightly raised skin.
  • The dark patches feel velvety and rough.
  • Acanthosis can bee seen in extra places, such as the lips or hands and is unusually severe.
What are the treatment for Acanthosis nigricans ?

Because acanthosis nigricans itself usually only causes changes to the appearance of the skin, no particular treatment is needed. It is important, however, to attempt to treat any underlying medical problem that may be causing these skin changes. Some treatments of acanthosis nigricans include the following:
  • antibiotic ointments or creams.
  • weight loss to lower insulin resistance.
  • retinoids, taken orally or used in a cream.
  • topical corticosteroid creams.
What can be done to prevent the Acanthosis nigricans ?

You cannot prevent acanthosis nigricans if it is hereditary.
  • If it is caused by something like obesity, losing weight or weight management is key.
  • When it is caused by cancer, there may be little that can be done to prevent it until the cancer is successfully treated.
  • If it caused by certain drugs, stopping them may control the condition.
Is acanthosis nigricans contagious?

No. Acanthosis nigricans is not contagious.

At what age does acanthosis nigricans develop?

Acanthosis nigricans can develop at any age.

How Acanthosis nigricans is diagnosed?

A doctor can diagnose acanthosis nigricans by doing a medical history and physical exam. The diagnosis is usually based on how your skin looks and where your skin is affected.

Acanthosis Nigricans Prognosis (Expectations)

Acanthosis nigricans often fades if the cause can be found and treated.The disease or condition that is causing acanthosis nigricans will need to be monitored. Any new or worsening symptoms should be reported to the doctor.
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-06, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora1
Hi, I have lost 70lbs this year (2005) and my acanthosis seems to have been aggravated, but only under my armpits. Now I have really red patches that itch real bad. I am a low carber, exerciser, and am taking glucophage. Does anybody have any clues?

Aurora1 - look back on some of the original posts, there are some great topicals you can get otg or from the dr to help with the itching. Strange thing about itching, the more you scratch, the worse it gets!

IR does seem to make this appear and more aggressively if the insulin is very high. I used to get it under my breasts and never knew what it was. I used cornstarch to help keep it dry and not itch, now that my insulin is reduced, it has gone away. Wish I could say the same for the kin tags!
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 08:46

BF:

Quote:
Wish I could say the same for the skin tags!

I am hoping these will go away too.......I have so many.......they are small and usually no one notices them but I hate them.....I have them removed regularly by my dermotologist. ARG!
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 11:00

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I had the skin tags, even though I didn't have PCOS. It is a symptom of insulin resistance and I ended up having to get some lotion with acid in it to get rid of them, even after took care of the IR and lost weight.

I guess the tags you already have can't go away on their own, but staying low carb just keeps others from forming.

I liked Lac Hydrin cream...it used to be prescription but now you can get it over the counter...it's lactose acid in it. It took about six weeks before i noticed the difference everywhere.
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 11:03

BF:

I am insulin resistant also.....I have hyperinsulinemia.....but never knew the tags were from it.....thanks for the info on the cream...I will ask my doc about it....you had satisfying results with it?
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 17:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sLynng
I am hoping these will go away too.......I have so many.......they are small and usually no one notices them but I hate them.....I have them removed regularly by my dermotologist. ARG!

My doc noticed them after I had my daughter 13 years ago. Had her clip them regularly, but she said I could do it at home if my DH would help. I am covered and hate them!
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 08:22

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

sLynng - I'm very pleased with it. But there's probably a prescription that would be even better. Now that it's over the counter it isn't as strong.

But I don't really need it anymore anyway...low carbing keeps new skin tags from forming, so I only use it about twice a week....just to keep my skin smooth.

I also have had basal cell carcinoma and the doctor said it would help keep these from forming also. Don't know how true that is; but I haven't had anymore.
  #87   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 08:45

Plan: primary
Stats: 58/58/48 Female 5'2 inches
BF:
Smile plz can u help me out???

Hi all..

This is zamina from india.Iam a 25 year old girl who is working in a private firm after completing my MBA.
I have a serious skin problem and two months back i visited a dermatologist and found out that its a fungal infection and curing possibility is only 50%.
The Dermatologist just told me its a fungal infection.

I went through the web and checked with my symptoms and Iam confused whether this is a candida infection,.

I'am dark skinned and this fungal infection has worsened my skin in all sweat areas inclusive of my neck,under-arms,inner thighs,under breasts etc..

I'am 5'2 ht and weigh 62 kgs.Being a Science graduate i came to understand the cause and effects of this fungal attack but did not reveal to my mom till it worsened to such an extent.

The areas especially my underarms and thighs have become deposited with thick layers of skin,darkened,and really smelling bad.I understood my ignorance and now want to really know whether there will be a solution for my problem.

iam totally depressed and dont want to delay anymore.will i have a cure for this.will I have a future.I was so ignorant that my case has become so worsened .

Doctor Please help me out.....

Thanks and regards..
zamina

Last edited by zamina : Wed, Sep-27-06 at 08:46. Reason: spell error
  #88   ^
Old Wed, Sep-27-06, 09:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamina
Hi all..

This is zamina from india.Iam a 25 year old girl who is working in a private firm after completing my MBA.
I have a serious skin problem and two months back i visited a dermatologist and found out that its a fungal infection and curing possibility is only 50%.
The Dermatologist just told me its a fungal infection.

I went through the web and checked with my symptoms and Iam confused whether this is a candida infection,.

I'am dark skinned and this fungal infection has worsened my skin in all sweat areas inclusive of my neck,under-arms,inner thighs,under breasts etc..

I'am 5'2 ht and weigh 62 kgs.Being a Science graduate i came to understand the cause and effects of this fungal attack but did not reveal to my mom till it worsened to such an extent.

The areas especially my underarms and thighs have become deposited with thick layers of skin,darkened,and really smelling bad.I understood my ignorance and now want to really know whether there will be a solution for my problem.

iam totally depressed and dont want to delay anymore.will i have a cure for this.will I have a future.I was so ignorant that my case has become so worsened .

Doctor Please help me out.....

Thanks and regards..
zamina
Purchase some organic coconut oil and some organic oregano oil...the essential oil from NOW without anything else in it.

In a 2 cup measuring cup or container, using about a cup of coconut oil, add oregano oil and mix until coconut oil smells strongly of oregano oil. Use this oil on affected areas of your skin. Also take a tablespoon of this oil 2-3 times a day internally.
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-06, 12:20

Plan: None
Stats: 220/220/160 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemetic
I KNOW OF SOMETHING THAT WORKS!! Of course, by lowering the insulin in your system, and losing weight you can affect the acanthosis nigricans. However, this is a topical medication that has helped me! The name of the medication is Tri-luma. Although it is normally prescribed for melasma it does work on acanthosis nigricans. I just started using it less than 2 weeks ago and there are areas of my neck that actually look like my normal skin! The only bad part is that in the beginning i tried just testing 2 spots and now there are 2 spots on my neck that look completely normal in the middle of all of the dark skin so be careful about that. It does have some side effects as it does sometimes cause itching and because it has tretinion in it you have to be careful not to make your skin raw. THe medicine is a combination of a skin lightner, tretinoin and i think a cortisode cream. In anycase, it seems to be working for me. I have just received my first prescription for glucophage and I am hoping that helps even more. I just happened to come across the site and wanted to share this with you all. I wish the best of luck to you all! By the way, i use it at night and when I go out during the day I use a sunscreen and try to wear clothing that protects my neck. In addition, I use a triple antibiotic ointment on my neck because of all of the skin peeling that occurs. The ointment protects me and at the same time it makes it easier to remove the peeling skin without causing any damage.

Sorry to bump an old post but can this Tri-luma be bought over the counter or do we need a prescription?
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 02:52

Plan: primary
Stats: 58/58/48 Female 5'2 inches
BF:
Default hair removal cream

hi all

long time since i mailed. hope u remember me iam zamina from india .this is the first time i have opened out about my problem after 12 long years.i just have tried for the very first time about my problem through a forum I was pretty tensed whether i would get a reply but it was not so i got few and i thank everyone who is supporting me.

i have started getting papillae (2) in my arm pit and one which i already have for many years in my inner thigh.i used to clean my hair in those areas only by finely trimming it by a pair of scissors. i was worried if by using cream would worsen my skin.Now its high time i use one for iam highly uncomfortable nowadays and there is strong feeling to clean off with a cream.

will it cause any damage to the skin ? is it advisable that i can try to do by pre testing in my skin and go ahead. do also tell me how to get rid of this papillae and if any precautionary steps to stop it from multiplying .
reply dear friends thank you....