Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, May-20-04, 00:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.5/268/160 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default An

I wrote a real nice long post but something reset itself & it all dissapeared so here is the short & sweet version try Tri-Luma it is a perescribed cream for Melasma & supposedly works great on AN I am on it now only been 2 days though it is very expensive over 90 bucks a tube Lustra cream may be a great alternative.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 22:56

Plan: low-fat, low-cal,EXERCISE
Stats: 246/194/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default A.n.

Hey everyone, im new to this forum. I don't have PCOS, but i've had A.N. since I was about 8,9. I have dark patches around my neck, under my arms, ankles and on my inner thighs. I've gone to a dermatologist and like everyone else, she said there was no 'cure' for it. The only thing she told me to do was to diet, stay off sugar and starch as well. She recommended I use Amlactin which is an over-the-counter skin moisturizer, but it's pretty harsh. It has been working a little bit, but every now and then my areas will become irritated and I can't use the cream anymore because it will burn. It's been really difficult living with this. My mother constantly tells me to exfoliate with a pumice stone,but that does nothing as we all know. I wish I never had this. It's affected me so deeply in my life, that I currently don't know what to do about it. It's something that has always disgusted my lovers and sometimes it seems like I can't go on. Due to the dark dark patches of skin on my inner thigh and touching my vagina, none of my boyfriends have ever wanted to touch me. It's embarassing and breaks my heart, and makes me think I'll never find that one person that will love me.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 271/251/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I also have this and the doctor told me that it is a sign of diabetes. I just got my blood tests back and my insulin is 46. The normal is from 1 to 14. My theory on the matter is that if we can get our insulin level down the patches won't get worse or maybe in time go away or we won't get any new ones.

I also have skin tags everywhere. I had a friend cut about 25 off of my neck a few years ago and so far I've only gotten 1 or 2 small ones on my neck. I haven't gotten other ones cut off yet.

I wish that I would of known something about insulin resistance a long time ago and I wouldn't have gotten to the point that I am now.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 10:32
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

i posted on this thread a while back, and i just wanted to say that i really think it is getting better. i'm now at 162ish pounds, and my neck is almost completely cleared up. i don't have a wonderfully even skin tone or anything, but that obvious ring is pretty much gone, even to the point where i'm holding up my hair and examining just the very back of my neck in the mirror and thinking, hmm..i think i could wear my hair up now if i wanted, which is a really new thing. i don't know if it will ever clear up completely, but i am beginning to think now that basically the more weight we lose and the more we get our insulin in check, the better it will get. there is hope!

deborah
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 22:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/180/134 Female 5'4
BF:Size 12
Progress: 22%

I used to have this around my neck but it has vanished.I have it between my breasts. It's not rough though, but it's darker than the rest of my skin. Acne medicine clears it up?????
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 22:57

Plan: I don't know
Stats: 115/115/110 Female 5 feet 3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi this is what I'm lookin for! wow...well, I'm in high school and I really hate the fact that my skin looks like elephant skin and it grosses me out to the point where I cry myself to sleep. And I've got some hair loss going on. I'm a wreck. Anyway, I was wondering if there is any way possible to get rid of the discoloration. More than the texture, I hate the wacky colors of my armpits and bikini line area. Please someone help! I want to wear an actual sleeveless dress for prom!!!
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-04, 07:00

Plan: low-fat, low-cal,EXERCISE
Stats: 246/194/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default No cure

Hey Magdalena,

There is no cure for it unfortunately. If you see a Dermatologist, they can offer you a cream like Carmel or over the counter Amlactin. Otherwise, there is no magical cream or pill that does anything for it. Basically it's the fact that we are either overweight, or consume too many sugars and starches. Although its possible for some of the AN to go away with major weight loss and dieting. Dieting in the sense that we lay off the sugars and starches which raise our insulin levels and does this madness to the skin. I wish i could tell you of some magical cure. Trust me, all my life i've suffered for it, never had good sex cuz of it, cuz my AN is on the inside of my inner thighs, really dark and rough, and its near my genitalia, I have some in my arm pits, neck and ankles. I know it isnt fun, but weightloss and restriction of sugar and starch may help a great deal....Take care and good luck!

Crystal
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Oct-27-04, 22:57

Plan: my own
Stats: 190/180/120 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I had AN as a teenager and years before I was diagnosed with PCOS. The dark-colored grayish skin was mostly just on my abdomen, about 1/2 of my stomach area was completely covered with it. I remember one of my sisters in the bathroom when I was taking a bath pointed at it and said "don't you ever wash there?". So I demonstrated washing the skin patch to her and she was completely taken aback. She went to my mom and told her how I had these dark spots that wouldn't come off with washing. As I remember, my mom thought it was pretty inconsequential, but years later when the spots were gone and I found I had PCOS, I realized that the two were probably related in some way.

I still do have the skin tags that I also had back then. Back then they were mostly on my stomach as well and quite big. I used to try to tear them off or scrape them off with my fingernails. (this was painful and they bled!) Today I still have tiny skin tags around my eye area. They are very small, almost invisible in a mirror and bother me hardly at all.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 01:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/176/130 Female 151 cm
BF:
Progress: 35%

My dirty neck faded when I started metformin. I have the large skin tags frozen off ... the smaller ones hurt too much but if anyone knows how to get rid of them please help they are embarrassing on my thighs and eyelids. I have a patch of AN on my abdomen but silly me didn't know what it was until i read this thread LOL. It has faded significantly since starting Atkins 6 weeks ago but the texture remains. It's a small patch and the least of my worries since my belly is beyond bikinidom.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 21:00
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa777
In the first trimester of pregnancy I started noticing this brownish, velvety patches of rough skin between my breast and under my armpits. My Dr. said that it was a pregnancy symptom, so I let it go.. My daughter is now 9 months old and I still have these nasty looking patches and now my doctor tells me that it looks like a gunfus!!! after a lot of research I found out what is called and that it is not a fungus! It is related to high levels of insulin and other conditions..
Do any of you ladies have this? I am worried that it could be something else.
Thanks for reading!
Take care

This was one of my symptoms from the old days...
I still do have them but they are now much less noticable.

Take heart. If you eat right and lose weight, your insulin will go down and the AN will get better
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnq4eva
Does anyone out there have any before and after pictures of their success with Acanthosis Nigricans through low carbing and weight loss?

In my before and after you can see it very slightly.

Look at my neck in the before where I'm sitting... aside from being much plumper you'll notice it's definitely darker in the crevices. It's hard to see from the pic, but when I look at it I can remember how "dirty" my neck always looked. The darkness is gone now.

BTW It's also good to know I'm not the only one who did that "scrubbing the dirt" thing.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 21:59

Plan: self-made low carb
Stats: 313/274/175 Female 5'7''
BF:52/49/33
Progress: 28%
Default Kids can be mean

When I was in 8th grade and 180 lbs I had an abdomen that looked like I had swallowed a basketball. In art class one day a girl said it looked like I hadn't taken a bath in a long time. I didn't know what to say so I told her it was a suntan. She laughed at me. I was so embarrassed. I also had the dark skin around my armpits and my upper inner thighs.

I went home and scrubbed and scrubbed and my skin never changed. I never had regular periods. I would miss a month here and there. Later around 21 I only got my periods half the year and went on birthcontrol to get regulated. At 29 I got married and wanted to have kids but couldn't. I completely lost my periods for 8 years. During that time I was diagnosed with diabetes, PCOS, Hypothyroidism and high blood pressure (Syndrome X).

I always wished I had a chance to tell that girl I wasn't dirty. It's funny what sticks with you throughout the years.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 16:48

Plan: none specific
Stats: 307/296/296 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

I KNOW OF SOMETHING THAT WORKS!! Of course, my lowering the insulin in your system, and losing weight you can affect the acanthosis nigricans. However, this is a topical medication that has helped me! The name of the medication is Tri-luma. Although it is normally prescribed for melasma is does work on acanthosis nigricans. I just started using it less than 2 weeks ago and there are areas of my neck that actually look like my normal skin! The only bad part is that in the beginning i tried just testing 2 spots and now there are 2 spots on my neck that look completely normal in the middle of all of the dark skin so be careful about that. It does have some side effects as it does sometimes cause itching and because it has tretinion in it you have to be careful not to make your skin raw. THe medicine is a combination of a skin lightner, tretinoin and i think a cortisode cream. In anycase, it seems to be working for me. I have just received my first prescription for glucophage and I am hoping that helps even more. I just happened to come across the site and wanted to share this with you all. I wish the best of luck to you all!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 16:53

Plan: none specific
Stats: 307/296/296 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Acanthosis Nigricans Medication that seems to be working!

I KNOW OF SOMETHING THAT WORKS!! Of course, by lowering the insulin in your system, and losing weight you can affect the acanthosis nigricans. However, this is a topical medication that has helped me! The name of the medication is Tri-luma. Although it is normally prescribed for melasma it does work on acanthosis nigricans. I just started using it less than 2 weeks ago and there are areas of my neck that actually look like my normal skin! The only bad part is that in the beginning i tried just testing 2 spots and now there are 2 spots on my neck that look completely normal in the middle of all of the dark skin so be careful about that. It does have some side effects as it does sometimes cause itching and because it has tretinion in it you have to be careful not to make your skin raw. THe medicine is a combination of a skin lightner, tretinoin and i think a cortisode cream. In anycase, it seems to be working for me. I have just received my first prescription for glucophage and I am hoping that helps even more. I just happened to come across the site and wanted to share this with you all. I wish the best of luck to you all! By the way, i use it at night and when I go out during the day I use a sunscreen and try to wear clothing that protects my neck. In addition, I use a triple antibiotic ointment on my neck because of all of the skin peeling that occurs. The ointment protects me and at the same time it makes it easier to remove the peeling skin without causing any damage.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-05, 11:39

Plan: nutritionist specified
Stats: 218/183/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

in response to KHEMETIC. i went and got the tri luma cream. so far so good but i have a few questions about what i am seeing and if it is normal... didnt see ur email addy so i figured this would be best... i see it working on some parts of my body perfectly but then on my neck i am concerned because some of it is going away and well since the instuctions on the tube say to put it on about a half inch of normal skin as well, well i did but those spots r looking darker than my normal skin but not as dark as the black from the AN... so... do u think this is normal and it will all peel away or should i not put it in those certain spots..also, any way to get rid of those that used to be normal skin? sorry if i sound confusing., i can try to clarify more if u need. thanks!