Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-03, 13:51
Registered Member

Plan: Cruisin' into Maintenance
Stats: 230/190/190 Male 74 in.
BF:??/18/??
Progress: 100%

I think the energy drain was due to drinking too many diet soda's and the extra low carb choccy bar . It's tough, I'm at the stage where I'm still loosing (96% today ), but want to gently control my carb intake so that I stay constant but not groggy. I've been trying to increase carbs to my CCL, but I end up just feeling like crap. I think more fruits and veggies is the key, at the moment I've been only eating berries, I'll have to try some other fruits. I thik there's a psychological barrier to overcome though, after all this time training your body not to take in carbs and seeing the positive effect that a low carb diet has, introducing them back is kinds scary. I know how easily they can take hold of you.

Duncan
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-21-03, 11:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree that it is really scary to introduce more carbs. And you are right, they can take over. I have done some really stupid eating within the past few weeks. Fortunately, it hasn't been sustained stupidity so I haven't had to pay a big price. I bought some frozen berries and was delighted at how good they were. Yum! THEN I looked at the package - quite a lot of sugar added, darn it. Well, from now on its fresh berries only.

Also tried some sugar-free candy this week. Tasted great but the after effects were horrible. I had read that some people can tolerate the sugar alcohol and some can't. Count me among those who can't.

Good luck with your tweaking.
Cindy
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 14:43

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%
Default hi

Hi
This maintenance club is quiet. I'm not quite near my goal yet. But I also realized that it is hard for me drop below 134/135 at 65 inches. But tape measure is looking good.

Frankly I look for good carb sources.. carrot, green beans is being added in good portion. 100/120 grams of carb is my daliy in take. As someone mentioned schwazebein/Zone seems to be good plan for maintenance.

neeam
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-07-03, 11:01

Stats: 194.5/152/160
BF:
Progress: 123%
Default Do What Works for You

I've been on maintenance for about 3 months now. I'm excited to find it is still working. I switched from Atkins to CAD/CALP, and find for me it is much more liveable. I weigh daily and use it as a reassurance that all is well.

I stay strict and low carb (less than 8) for 2 meals a day. My third "reward" meal is balanced somewhat...but I have been including fruit, bread, pasta, dessert and even wine. The only thing I've been real strict about is the 60 minute rule.

I am approaching my 60th birthday...and I want it to be a happy, healthy one.

If I get above 155 I plan to hit the straight Atkins (induction) for a few days to a week, or until things go back to a safe zone. I was at 153 this morning. This is after over a month on "Reward Meals". I tested my BMI and it is at a very safe level. Cholesterol and blood pressure are on the low side.

I think the combination of foods and timing of eating are both important...for me...I don't really feel comfortable making rules for other people.

I like not counting anything, but if I had to count anything I think carbs would be my choice. I also like not being hungry!

Good luck to all of you! It's not easy whatever you do.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 18:03

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Talking Yaa!

I'm so happy to hear from you guys over here in maintenance! I'd really like to revive this forum and discuss some of these issues more completely.

I'm great at doing OWL, but maintenance is a bit scary to me. I did buy the Atkins for Life book, but haven't had time to read very much of it yet...

Anyone else who has read it? Any new info to ponder?? So far it's just been a lot of banging the drum for the Atkins WOL, and most of that info was already in the other books...

I'm starting to add some carbs-I guess it's just trial & error for now, and weighing in regularly so that I can tell if I'm slipping.

Let's keep this forum going!!!!

#21   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 22:32

Plan: gen. low carb/Atkins
Stats: 137/110/112 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 108%

Hi Jannie --

I'm with you! I reached my goal a few weeks ago. I agree that this is not the glamorous part of the diet.

Sometimes I don't think that my Atkins experience would really help anyone else out -- by this point, I have customized Atkins so that it works for me, but would not necessarily work for anyone else. It reflects my personal likes and dislikes -- for example, I love salads and steaks, don't like eggs or many veggies. I reached my goal despite having an Instant Breakfast drink every morning (21 carbs at once) -- definitely not a "proper" Atkins diet. (It is strange that I could give up a 4-5 can-a-day Coke habit, Hershey bars, Gummi Bears, etc., but could NOT give up Instant Breakfast.)

Did you "customize", or were you textbook all the way?
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 11:17

BF:
Default Modify

I think when you read through these comments the one thread of commonality (besides low carbs), is that everyone is different in some way. It makes sense then for reasons of taste, health, or personal preference that we will all try to find what works for us. CALP seems to be saying that is what you SHOULD do.

For example, I wanted to be really strict when I was first on Atkins and I tried to follow it 100% - until I realized that caffeine was a no-no. I read it carefully and the way I interpreted the "rule" is that some people find their hunger increased due to caffeine. I decided I would have my one (and now I'm up to 2) Diet Cokes a day, and see what happened.

There were 3 measures of whether or not an added item was worth keeping. First, did I see a weight gain or a slow down on the scale? Second, how did I feel physically after eating it (or in this case drinking it). And finally, did it seem to make me hungry later in the day or the next day?

I am doing the same thing with my reward meal now.

The main thing is that you don't change too many things at once or you can't tell what caused the effect.

I think it's fascinating that you accomplished what you did with an "instant breakfast" each day. In a way it is like the CAD reward meal...you are limiting your carbs and especially improving your diet over cokes and candy bars. Thank you for sharing that.

I am determined to keep tuning in to this website regularly as a way to help me think about maintenance.

Looking back I feel lucky to have gotten to my goal so easily, but at the time it seemed like it was slow. Small goals with little rewards (not food) for reaching them must help when you have lots to lose.

Bye for now,
Donna
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 13:22

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I am approaching my goal weight so I thought I'd check this forum out. Great thread, and I agree there should be more ongoing support for "lifers", and mentors for people approaching that phase.

Pre maintenance and maintanance are proving to be esp. tricky for me, because I only wanted to loose 20#, and did so in less than 2 months, so I don't think my body really had time to "get over" it's desire for carbs. I'm okay at low levels but when I start adding carbs and variety I get out of controll again and want to eat everything in sight. Moderation is a *very* difficult concept for me.

Due to this I gained four # the last time I was approaching my goal weight and went back to induction and did the KIS thing. Now I am being extremely carful with how I add things back in. First more vegies, then I tested artificial sweetners, caffein, and LC bread with days of KIS eating in between. These items don't seem to have a biochemical effect on me, but I've found that just having the variety and having sweet tastes as an option make me start obsessing about food again. I don't know what I should do to stay in controll besides KIS and not even fruit my whole life, and I think that would be misserable.

Sorry to go into my whole Atkins life story, just thought this would be the best place to do it. Thanks for reading.

Jamian
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 08:32

BF:
Default Hang In There

Sounds like you are doing great. I think the best thing is to listen to your body...and do what works best for you.

I found the Carb Addicts Diet Test interesting. Have you tried that? It lets you know how addicted you are to carbs. I was surprised to find that I am a low level addict. I thought it would show me as more severely addicted.

Good luck as you progress downward.

Keep in touch!

Donna
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 18:42

Stats: 158/146.4/138 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks for the encoragement, Donna. I haven't tried that test yet, it sounds like it might be enlightening, I'll deffinitlely do that.

Jamian