Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 11:25

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Jill! Enjoy TTC!

It's a Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/) called PregnantAtkids (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PregnantAtkids). You will probably need a Yahoo ID in order to join, but I'm not sure. The ladies there are WONDERFUL and I adore them to pieces. But the thing that helped me most when I first joined was all the articles they have in the files section.

Also, for anyone who's concerned about ketosis and wants to remain outside the bounds of ketosis, fruit will do that better than anything else. That's because fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen, and it's the depletion of liver glycogen which induces ketosis. Just so you know. (A little tidbit I picked up when I was doing CKD.)

I have simply chosen not to worry about it. If I'm in ketosis, fine, if I'm not, that's fine too. Ketones aren't just made from stored fat, so just because you're in ketosis doesn't mean you're releasing body fat. If you're eating enough (hard to do when you feel sick, but eat what/when you can), the vast majority of those ketones will be dietary, so you need not worry about stored toxins/hormones being released (which happens regularly anyway in the birth/death of cells, you just don't want them to flood your system is all).

Anyway, I hope that was helpful and not just rambly!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 21:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/243/170 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Im in the maintainence phase is yogurt okay. I am preganant now and would like some sample menus of what some of the pregnant women here did on list.
Thanks
Expecting2
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 17:56

Plan: Fasting /lowcarb4maint.
Stats: 187/179/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone MOMS to Be...............

I just conceived! I found out I am 3 1/2 weeks. I am so happy. Althgough I plan for it to happen after my goal of losing 45lbs. I was on a total Body cleansing juice/ water fast for a couple of weeks and was feeling a looking better, detoxified and cleanse from free radicals, impurities and posions, internal wastes etc,. I had no more digestive system problems or servere constipation. My skin cleared up from acne. I was doing great with my support forum buddies at curezone.com I told them after I would lose all my desired weight on this cleansing fast. I would not go back to my old eatting habits and run back into my health problems. My cousin yashma from Jersey was on Atkins for two years and she has lost 169lbs. And she has maintain it on Atkins. I want and need a lifestyle change and I did all the research and brought all the books and have a low carb planner. I am set. My old forum buddies just wished me the best of luck.

I had to stop. I have to admit I was more able to quickly conceive by my prayers and me cleansing my entire system, than when I tried before. I have three kids 12, 3 1/2,and 17months old. This will complete my family with this pregnancy. I am a Housewife 28 and 5'5".

On the juice/water fast I lost a good amount of weight and felt no bloat feeling and digestive symtoms. My doctor is proud of me but I did not lose all my desired weight. I need at least 25lbs. more.I don't want to gain weight just the baby or only the nessesary pounds from the umbilical cord, blood cells increase, baby, atomic fluid etc., I read a post from a lady that's on low carb and pregnant and only gain 5 pounds on a 30 count carb a day, the rest was all baby etc. and she delivbered a healthy full term 8lb. baby girl. So she is my biggest inspiration she also said she snapped right back into her figure at 5 weeks. (WOW) I love her! She mentioned that her 2 prevoius pregnancies couldn't compare, and she wasn't on the low carbs then. So stories like these keeps me happy! and motivated.

And know that all of your posts are great and very much needed.

Well I have my new set of plans now that I am pregnant. I love it now.

Question: Is their any one that's pregnant that is on Dr. Atkins have lost any bad fat(the white fat stored in the body) The brown fats are healthly and needed)????? The body fat can be checked on the scale that does the body fat percentage weight.

I am starting the Atkins now. I will start the 14 day introduction and then do the different phases but I am not going over 20-30 carbs a day. I have brought the Dr. Atkins cook books for more recipes, and some extra low carb exciting cook books from Nancy she has followed the Dr. Atkins.

On days when I get tired during my pregnancy and don't feel like putting a meal together I will buy Dr. Atkins meals ( fresh meals to order by phone or internet) and low carb bars and cereals and pancake mix wth syrups, muffins ,etc., You get the picture. Well this is my plan now and forever.

I will keep everyone inforumed of my body chemistry reaction and the results.

All those carbs in the past did my body wrong and dirty I refused to go back......................

May the Good Lord Bless everyone here (smile)

Keima (Freedom4me)
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 06:18

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

I've been doing a lot of research on this as my wife is now just over 11 weeks pregnant and I'm the one in the house responsible for feeding her (and Hubner, as we've named the Alien ). The most important thing about eating while pregnant is getting the wide variety of micro and macro nutrients possible in the most reasonable amount of food. She's been having bad morning sickness even now so for her it's a matter of what food she can keep down. Fortunately, she's lost her taste for coffee and anything really sweet. She was not doing LC necessarily before conceiving, but our house was definitely lower-carb than most since I do all of the cooking. (she'd have a hunk of bread with dinner while I would not, but we'd both have meat and lots of veggies) This may well have helped with her lack of sweet cravings since getting pregnant, or it may not.

The important thing is to eat as nutriently-dense foods as possible. Folic acid is the most important nutrient, but everything is important. Lots of veggies, good fruits, nuts, good fat, protein, even good dairy for the calcium if you don't get enough in your veggies. Quality of food is important as well as types and quantities. One thing to remember is that fat is very important for the developing baby. Sometimes with morning sickness fat is difficult to take. I "hide" the fat when I can by putting butter on veggies, buying whole fat cottege cheese and cooking in my home-made lard. I also make meatloaf with fattier cuts of meat and extra eggs. My wife seems to be able to eat meatloaf really well even when she can't eat anything else.

Remember, your body is not your own while you're pregnant. It may be ok to experiment and do out-of-the-ordinary types of diets while you're all by yourself in your body, but once you have another one along for the ride, it's best to focus on quality food with as many nutrients as possible. Everyone is different in terms of what food is appealing and what is not, but when looking for that food that will stay down, look within the spectrum of nutrient-dense foods that really are the core of what Dr. Atkins and others talk about.

From what everything I've read seems to say, now is not the time to count carbs, but more the time to count nutrients, including fat, and ensure you get enough.

Good luck to all, and I wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy!

Plane Crazy
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jan-24-05, 16:53

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 210.8/193.5/120 Female 66 in
BF:44/??/15%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alopex

It's a Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/) called PregnantAtkids (http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/PregnantAtkids). You will probably need a Yahoo ID in order to join, but I'm not sure. The ladies there are WONDERFUL and I adore them to pieces. But the thing that helped me most when I first joined was all the articles they have in the files section.

Thanks for recommending that group. I joined over the weekend and finding it an excellent resource!
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-02-05, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 396/325/260 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Another Introduction: TTC and on Atkins

I am TTC , and the fertility doctor said that in his 30 years' experience, the fertility treatments he had tried never worked on women over 300 pounds. I started close to 400, so I am following Atkins since last September, and nearly halfway there. I am taking folate and other vitamins, but I'm not pregnant yet. (Yes, my sweetie and I are "practicing" too. )
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 07:15

Plan: nutritionforlife
Stats: 162/162/143 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:
Default It think her question is can I CONCEIVE while on atkins?

This user is asking a question which I too have not had a lot of luck getting answered, as I too was told about how to eat on atkins while I am pregnant. IN fact, the issue is about wondering whether I shoudl still be low carbing, if I want to get pregnant. I am having a hard time TTC and am still wondering whether its my diet that is impeding this. If anyone can help with the answer here, thanks very much.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Feb-03-05, 07:35

Plan: nutritionforlife
Stats: 162/162/143 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:
Default Freedom for me spoke about a cleans with juices/water

Would Freedom for me or any other user, please advise howone does this cleanse? What one eats, does not eat and for how long and whether there are any necesary supplements?
Thank you
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Feb-12-05, 12:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 258/238/140 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 17%

My mother-in-law is a nurse mid-wife and we are currently trying to conceive. She told me that losing weight (by whatever diet I choose) while trying to conceive will increase your chances of getting pregnant because the estrogen stored in fat cells will be released .
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Feb-13-05, 07:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/155/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 92%

MGW there is a yahoo group called OASIS - Overweight And Seeking Infertility Support - there were plenty of women on it when I was in the high 300s or at least over 300.

Is your doctor currently treating you or just waiting till you hit 300 to start treatments?