Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/184/150
BF:not sure
Progress: 26%
Default re sleep

I can't really pin this down to beginning Atkins --- but perhaps the problem has worsened since I've been low carbing ...

I think it definitely has something to do with having more energy ... not being in that carbohydrate-induced fog ....

Let's face it - carbs definitely make you drowsy ... but it's not getting off to sleep that I have a problem with -- it's STAYING asleep - and getting back to sleep after waking in the middle of the night ...

It's the old story --- I start to fall off to sleep, just minutes before the alarm goes off ...

Funny though, after a day at work, I'm apt to doze off in the armchair before dinner ....

I just wish I could get more zzz's

Michael13
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 19:55

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Smile Right On !!

I got a real kick out of your reference to a " carb induced fog".

Man, can I relate to that !! Especially when you'd go to a restaurant that has delicious real sweet deserts, and eat one, (even tho you'r full), after having a meal with whipped potatoes, rolls and all those high carb foods. You'd have to struggle to stay awake to drive home.........tee hee. Those were the good ole days....... or so it seemed at the time.

#33   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 10:31

Stats: 134.5/130.5/110
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 16%

What works for me for insomnia:

calcium and magnesium before bed (Was told at Atkins to make it Magnesium orotate and calcium aspartate)

vitamin E with dinner or evening snack(for restless leg) (have alittle fat to absorb the vitamin)

B-12 in the morning (I take it sublingually, after breakfast whenever I'm going through a period of insomnia)

make sure that you're not taking vitamins that keep you up too close to bedtime. These include B-12, and Atkins Basic, and B-6, and probably others.

As for food, I find that I have to eat something before bed so that I can fall asleep and stay asleep. Otherwise I wake up hungry. You'll need to experiment with that, because everyone is different in that regard.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 01:18

BF:
Question Minnie Pauz where r u ?

Where have you been MinniePauz? You have not been on this thread since you slinked into your ex inlaws Christmas party in your new skinny clothes....Hope you are OK......tee hee. Or are you just catching up on all that lost sleep all at once, just kidding but it's after 2 in the morning and your not on this site your light isn't on!........Wakey....Wakey.

#35   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:40
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Talking Hi Edie! No, I haven't disappeared!

Just been trying to make 2003 the "Year of Minnie Pauz"!!! I have lots of projects going on at once, way too MANY projects and it's probably a good thing that I don't sleep more than 4-5 hours....I'd NEVER get everything done!

Hope your weight loss is going well..... I forgot to change my profile to show the new numbers: 245/184/150 I stalled at 187-189 during December and into January, which was ok since I wasn't gaining and knew I wasn't blowing it over the holidays, just easing up a bit by allowing myself a treat once in awhile (like having one eggnog with rum or a sweet potatoe with my steak). Anyway, I stopped "cheating" and lost another 3 lbs. in the past week or two. Very exciting!

Gotta figure out how to get one of these great message boards so I can do the Minnie Pauz 3AM Club on my site!! Another project!

Take care..... Dee
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 07:51

BF:
Thumbs up Wow

A 3:00AM site would be just great on your site, be sure and let me know when it's there case I miss seeing it somehow. Having "the year of MinniePauz "is a great idea. I wonder if we shouldn't all have "a life of Minnie Pauz" (or whoever) attitude anyway, instead of always putting everything as more important than ourselves! Yes, my weight loss is going downhill steady if slowly, I'm grateful...........anything in the right direction, tee hee. Well best of luck and you go girl, I'm rootin for ya!!

#37   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 08:14
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Edie:

Hmmmm, thought I was the only one. Same time every morning - 4:30 am like clockwork. Although wide awake at the time, by midmorning I am feeling it. I'm one of those people who needs about 6-7 hours of sleep to function. Before LC, it was 8-9 hours.

I've started trying to go to bed later at night now, which is really hard because I'm so ready to go to sleep. That seems to help a little. At least I'm waking up later. I waited to take my magnesium until I was actually laying in bed.

In Dr. Atkin's Vita-Nutrient Solutions book, he discusses inositol as nature's sleeping pill. He suggests 500-1500 mg at bedtime. However, he cautions that the higher dosage might inhibit weight loss because it is a chemical isomer of glucose.

On the other hand, he uses supplements of inositol, choline and methionine to trigger a slow metabolism to burn off fat, so don't be scared off by the lower dosage.

I haven't used it yet, but out of curiosity I think I will get some on my next order and at least see how it works.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 09:17

BF:
Smile wcollier

Tee hee ..... Can just picture you laying down taking your pill to sleep better......we low carbers will try to succeed in any way that helps ROFL. You'll have to let me know if this helps......I may be next!!

#39   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 09:30
Mad Scientist

BF:

Edie:

Ya, I was taking them about an hour before bedtime and was falling asleep too quickly (and of course getting up too early). Let me explain that. I read in bed for awhile so if I take them just as I get into bed, then it leaves me a little reading time before I nod off.

The things we do...but hey, it's better than hypnotics. I used to have to take 1/2 a pill almost every night for chronic insomnia. At least now I have a good quality sleep, just not long enough. But I really think I am getting there. It is nice to have the extra energy though.

Baby steps....right?
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 14:27

BF:
Thumbs up yup

Right on the baby steps...teehee. How much magnesium do you take at bedtime? I have been taking mine with the calcium in the morning. I may switch around a little!

#41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-03, 15:27
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Edie:

Yep, definately switch them around. I used to stagger them also throughout the day, but then Dr. Atkin's book suggests taking calcium and magnesium before bedtime. Both act as relaxants.

I'm certain you will notice a difference. My sister has problems with constipation and I told her to take magnesium (good for that as well ). When I asked her how it was working, the first thing she said is "it really helps me sleep at night". So there you go. She didn't even know it was a relaxant.

I take a fair dose of magnesium for a number of problems, mainly musculoskeletal, constipation, and acne. I take 700 mg of magnesium. But you have to be careful with magnesium. Overdosages can be dangerous. Dr. Atkins suggests an intra-cellular blood test to test for magnesium levels. Generally, he recommends 400-1000 mg for most people. I'd like to get the blood test, but my DH has never heard of it (he's a MD), so I'm waiting for a reply e-mail from Atkin's site to find out what test it is.

Dr. Atkins also suggests melatonin, which was already discussed. I took it years ago, but never found any help from it. I assumed because I got to sleep OK that melatonin wasn't what I needed. However, I've just noticed that Dr. Atkins talks about a timed-released formula, which prevents you from awakening too soon. He also suggests that electromagnetic radiation (ie. electric blanket, waterbed heater) may affect the pineal gland's output of melatonin. Another note of caution: if considering melatonin, Dr. Atkins strongly recommends doing hormone restoration with a nutritionally-oriented physician rather than a do-it-yourself approach.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 00:14

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

...just my 2 cents...I completely agree with the supplements, the only thing I'd change is take vitamin B12 before going to bed instead of in the morning. I also occasionally use melatonin. Fortunately for me, starting the LC WOE has greatly helped my insomnia.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 04:29

BF:
Thumbs up Hi wcollier

Well I must say ....it worked!!! I took my Cal-Mag-Zinc supplement "On the Horizontal" so to speak, and fell asleep in the middle of the Presidents speech, ( yawn ), and got up at 12:30, ( 2 P ), as usual but fell right back to sleep, which is UNusual, till 4:45, which is perfect. I am not sure this morning if I should credit our dear President with my deep sleep, or the calcium, tee hee......rofl.......but I suspect it is the calcium. A few more days trial will will prove it out, so thank you again for good advice and taking the time to share it.

#44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 08:02
Registered Member

Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Edie.... I think it was the Prez!

The same thing happened to me and I FORGOT to take my cal/mag before I laid on the couch to watch the State of the Union address, so it had to be the speech that put me to sleep. And because I had forgotten the cal/mag, I was up and puttering around at 2:30 am! (sorry I didn't stop by here and say hello)...... I tried to go back to sleep, but around 4:30 I took 2caps of cal/mag and fell asleep around 5:15 and slept until 8:30..... I'll say it again.....thank God I work at home and don't have to get myself out to an office every day!

Since I was doing this before Atkins, I have to blame it on menopause, but this WOE definitely changed (for the better) the REASONS I now wake up and also the frequency. BA (before Atkins), I was awake early every day and eating carbs, then I was drowsy and dragging a** by 2pm, so I'd lay down for a nap and sleep several hours.....then I'd stay up late, until my schedule was topsy turvy. That's when I first tried the cal/mag and realized that I could get to sleep easier and BACK to sleep after a bathroom run at 2am, when I had taken the cal/mag.

AA (after Atkins) I was feeling more energetic, less depressed, no naps during the day and as long as I take the cal/mag, I get more regular sleep. I still don't require more than 5 hours though and feel that adjusting to that has made things easier.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 12:46

BF:
Smile MinniePauz

How much cal-mag do you take?........Nosy me!!!